Question Thoughts on this build?

blindeagle141

Oct 24, 2022
After 7 long years i finally get to build a brand new pc This will mostly be used for gaming/work(Designer) on a 27 inch 1440p monitor. I understand its overkill but I've always wanted to build something a bit overkill and i can finally do so. Just need some advice on the parts i have got and what is good/not good. Budget is around 3 .3.5k but its ok to go higher. Going for a white build to match the room
This is my part list

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3xRrLs

The only questions i have is :

PC Case: - I have always liked the look of the nzxt h7 elitte but not sure how good thermals will be with the new cpu /gpu + if there is enough space This is why i decided to go with the Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo heard good things about it

CPU Cooler: (Again not to sure what is the best here but because im going for a white build i assume the "Corsair iCUE H150i " should be enough? but I have also heard the Kraken X73 is a decent one to use is well and it comes in white

PSU: (The biggest issue i have right now, most people are telling me to wait for the atx 3.0 so i can get the new power cable that comes with it to make the build look cleaner but i dont really understand the difference if there is any + if its worth the extra cost
Thanks for the help and again any help would be great

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Obviously going for a white theme but you probably don't need that many fans. The liquid cooler takes care of most of the what issues. Placing the radiator on the top will negate 2-3 fan spots alone. This will leave you with 3 front and 1 rear.

Sure you could wait for the new PSU for cleaner cabling with less leads or get it now and most PSU companies will give you the new cable when the make them.

blindeagle141

Oct 24, 2022
Obviously going for a white theme but you probably don't need that many fans. The liquid cooler takes care of most of the what issues. Placing the radiator on the top will negate 2-3 fan spots alone. This will leave you with 3 front and 1 rear.

Sure you could wait for the new PSU for cleaner cabling with less leads or get it now and most PSU companies will give you the new cable when the make them.

By any chance do you know if there is like a white cable from the PSU for the new GPU'S?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Build looks good. Lian Li makes the Gallahad 360 AIO and you can get it with the Unifans. Would save you a few bucks since you could eliminate one of the 3 packs of fans.

Some of the early reviews on the ATX3.0 PSUs don't look that great so I'd probably stick to the HX1000 you have and go with custom cables.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
ATX3.0 PSU
I would tend to agree on waiting on the new gen PSU as well. There's going to be some issues moving forward as it's a redesign that hasn't been seen in decade plus. There's already stuff floating around about limited number of plug/unplug cycles on cable connectors which is a bit absurd. Then there's the other issue of burning out cables with the higher power being pushed across them as well. Why a cable can't handle 600W+ doesn't make much sense if they're being made properly with sufficient gauge of wiring from companies that have been doing this for decades but, it's an issue still being sorted out from the sound of things right now.

I've been using EVGA for PSUs on a few builds though and have yet to have an issue and like the 10 year warranty on them. Corsair bit me though on a build by being DOA out of the box. Caused some issues in trying to get things up and running / tested within the return window and ended up going to Fry's to grab one while waiting on sorting out the Corsair. In the end I ordered an EVGA and never looked back and then did it again on a new build.

There used to be a feeling you could getaway with any PSU and be fine in the past but, with how things have been changing with the components inside of them it's a new world. There's fundamental changes in the past couple of years that complicate things even further. Designs on both sides of the power needs from the MOBO to the PSU itself.

In the past and for most of the history of PSU design there's been multiple power rails for each function. Now, it's changing considerably to 12V only designs and 12VHPWR/ATX3.0 which is what we're approaching.

The higher power GPU's needing that 600W or higher power draw is what's causing the shift in both the design and power connectors to change. Trying to meet the demand and efficiency coexistence is tripping things up. Moving power controls from the PSU to the MOBO adds some more issues to the mix as well.

Then you have idiot MOBO OEM's making things that have issues like a reversed polarity cap on the mobo that kills it or causes a potential fire hazard.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Corsair bit me too!!! Brand new out of the box yesterday. I won't have the replacement until Friday.
Sorry to heat that but, also nice to know I'm not the only one. Friday is a quick turn around though. I bought mine through B&H and it would have taken them at least a week with their slow RMA process. Now I just stick to Amazon as much as possible.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Sorry to heat that but, also nice to know I'm not the only one. Friday is a quick turn around though. I bought mine through B&H and it would have taken them at least a week with their slow RMA process. Now I just stick to Amazon as much as possible.
Yeah, B&H support sucks. They will take care of you eventually, but it may take a bit.

Reactions: Tech Junky