Thoughts on this barebones deal?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Looks pretty good, you're getting the PSU free and the other parts are fine. Add a decent GPU and you're done.

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would dump the case, it's not worth the $45 asking price. Pay no attention to the number of four- and five-egg reviews...that's how I got suckered into buying an X-Infinity.

As you read through the three-egg reviews, you'll find that the fans need to be replaced immediately...they light up, but otherwise don't do what they're supposed to do. Don't expect the front I/O panel to last much more than a year, and the PWR button might stick. As thin as the sheet metal is, expect it to generate a lot of noise and dent easily. The PSU probably will not properly line up with cage, so you'll probably mount with just three screws. If you want a cheap case, I would spend another $5 AR and go with a CoolerMaster HAF: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119233

Do not expect to get the $10 rebate from MSI, it probably isn't going to happen. And of all the mobos I've worked with, MSI gave me the most grief. Even the wife's Soyo Dragon II isn't as bad. For a cheap P67, I'd probably go with Gigabyte: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128487

Seagate seemed to have a solid rep back in the 20th Century. I wouldn't buy one today. I'd spend another $25 and double my storage with a winning F4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152245

That's just me, tho'

Weenoman

Dec 5, 2010
Yea I've heard Seagate has been a little iffy lately. But I would probably get an SSD and do most of the heavy lifting on that drive, like a 128gig and then put all my games and OS on it.

Pretty tempting! It would really leave me alot of room for a sweet GPU and SSD which are the things i want to blow alot of money on.

I'm surprised this combo isn't getting more play on the deal sites.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Many people spending that much money would spend the extra for a better case and PSU, and many would get another brand of HD. It's only a hot deal if you are happy with the ones included.

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm surprised this combo isn't getting more play on the deal sites.

It would probably be considered "warm", if that. For $85 dollars more (after rebates, and assuming MSI still doesn't honor theirs) I could get a considerably superior case, twice as much storage on a better drive, and a Seasonic-based 650W.

When you compare the "Combined total" prices, it's about an $11 difference (plus one terabyte in my favor). Newegg's "combo discount" appears to have one goal: get rid of the cheezy crap.

Weenoman

Dec 5, 2010
It would probably be considered "warm", if that. For $85 dollars more (after rebates, and assuming MSI still doesn't honor theirs) I could get a considerably superior case, twice as much storage on a better drive, and a Seasonic-based 650W.

When you compare the "Combined total" prices, it's about an $11 difference (plus one terabyte in my favor). Newegg's "combo discount" appears to have one goal: get rid of the cheezy crap.

That's crafty! What case would you go with?

I really like this combo. I'm probably going to get a Newegg credit card for the extra 15 duckets off too. :D

Now to hunt for a sweet deal on a graphics card...

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com

Bingo! That's why they always have the house brand case and PSU (Rosewill) and Seagate HDDs.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I would like to add that I have the same exact Seagate HDD I got on sale for $55. Its really not that bad. Sata 3, 32mb of cache. Other than a little noise (Gets clicky like the old maxtors), it works fantastic and it runs cool. The power supply worked great when it worked. I think that was just a fluke since ATNG makes the unit and they are usually decent quality. I have built 'budget' machines for 4 people with the rosewill cases. I currently just dissasembled one (2 weeks ago) after 4 years of operation. No problems, no dents, all the screw holes lined up too, just the power LED went out after 2 years.

Last edited: