Discussion Thoughts on ThermalTake Toughpower Grand 850W (RGB of course), or alternative suggestions

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's an OK unit if you want RGB, but there are better options depending on pricing in Canada.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-850w-gold-psu,5822-12.html
However, it has to contend with formidable opponents like the Corsair RM850x and Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W. If you don't care about fancy lighting on your PSU, then there's no reason to prefer the TPG-850AH3FSGR over competing models that offer better performance and cost about the same (if not less).

I don't need RGB, so I would personally go with the Seasonic or Corsair unit (depending on price). Another good unit to consider would be the Super Flower unit, but once again depending on the price in Canada. In the U.S., their pricing is pretty aggressive against Corsair and Corsair.

Reactions: DaTT

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
I do not necessarily require RGB, however everything else is RGB in my case. Both the Seasonic and Corsair PSU's mentioned above are $179 CAD. The Super Flower isn't even listed on Newegg.ca.

I did read a few reviews stating that the 12v on the Thermaltake was sometimes reading around 11.2v at idle....maybe just a bad few. Mostly positive reviews. Thought I'd reach out to experts.

Basically, it sounds like the Seasonic and Corsair are marginally better units, unless RGB is a factor. Appreciate the input.

Reactions: UsandThem

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Well, turns out there is an issue with the motherboard connector on the Seasonsic unit, so I will be returning it today and picking up the Corsair unit. Stock is very limited.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Are those modular cables custom? I like them as the Seasonic comes with the flat ribbon style cables. I prefer the round ones

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Are those modular cables custom? I like them as the Seasonic comes with the flat ribbon style cables. I prefer the round ones

nope, came with the psu. got it on Prime Day 2019 for US$100 :p

I don't really care what it looks like, it sits under the table anyway. Can't fathom why people buy good PSU only to pollute DC with noise from bad RGB driver circuits.

Last edited:

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Yup, got the rounded cables with mine as well, except for the Molex and SATA cables, they are ribbon style. No issues with this unit.