Thoughts on the Zen Sleek 20GB Photo?

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Hot Deal Here

I was going to sell my 2-year old Dell 20GB player and replace it with the Zen Sleek Photo player. Based on what I'm seeing the Dell players go for on Ebay, I could upgrade to the newer Zen player for free.

Dell uses Creative's firmware on their players, so the Zen will be similar. However, any thing is better than this Dell brick I've been using.

Any thoughts on it?

Project86

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2002
As many of us have posted in that thread, we are enjoying the Sleek Photo a lot. I was considering getting the Dell Mini-DJ (5GB) for around the same price before I found this. I am happy with it in almost every way; my only minor gripe is that the touch pad takes some getting used to... but then again I prefer real buttons so I'm biased.

When I play it through my home system (mid-fi with a Harmon Kardon receiver and Definitive Tech speakers) it sounds every bit as good as my Denon CD player, assuming a high quality file. Sounds noticably better than the Sandisk unit I got for my wife.

I say at that price, you really can't go wrong. The only way to get a possibly better deal is to watch the FS forum like a hawk, but even then it would be tough.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Project86
As many of us have posted in that thread, we are enjoying the Sleek Photo a lot. I was considering getting the Dell Mini-DJ (5GB) for around the same price before I found this. I am happy with it in almost every way; my only minor gripe is that the touch pad takes some getting used to... but then again I prefer real buttons so I'm biased.

When I play it through my home system (mid-fi with a Harmon Kardon receiver and Definitive Tech speakers) it sounds every bit as good as my Denon CD player, assuming a high quality file. Sounds noticably better than the Sandisk unit I got for my wife.

I say at that price, you really can't go wrong. The only way to get a possibly better deal is to watch the FS forum like a hawk, but even then it would be tough.

I was actually going to get rid of the Dell DJ20 anyway, as I never use it. I've got a Zen Nano 1GB that is my main MP3 player for the gym, but for a cost of zero, I'll definitely trade up to the Sleek Photo.