Thoughts on Identity Theft?

Nov 8, 2012
With all the data breaches recently, I'm curious what ATOT's thoughts are on identity theft. I keep getting yet another data breach of another company that had an exploit in their database that allowed a group to access to the data that shouldn't. You know the usual, password of 12345, etc....

But today what really made me laugh was one of those "free identity theft monitoring" tools that they typically give you for free when a company has a data breach was about to expire. So they sent me a renewal offer.

I honestly just laughed my ass off at this.....

1585696526444.png

Seriously, who pays $8.50 a month - LET ALONE $15/month for identity theft "insurance" ? Maybe I'm just being naive, but I picture most identity theives....

1. Buy a large database of identities
2. Apply for credit cards / loans for some.
3. If fails, move on to the next.

That simple. So if I get a notification that a new account has been opened, etc... then I would take a look at it, then if it was fraud then I would put a credit freeze to prevent anything further. End of story, no?

I honestly don't think identity thieves single you out and say "Oh this fucker froze his credit, I'm going to go after him even harder now!"... Instead, I just picture them going to the next target. The easier the exploit, the better, no?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wouldn't take it if it were offered gratis. I'd lose money taking the time to fill out the application. Credit monitoring is a final "fuck you" in a data breach settlement. Everyone makes out except the people affected.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
For the 22nd time....freeze yo shit.

Works for the OP and baby making, IIRC.

I've had everything frozen since the Equifax breach. When I wanted to apply for a new CC, all I needed to do was log in to the relevant bureaus and set a temporary lift (with an expiration date.) It was all instantaneous.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wouldn't mind being salty nuts. People would think "that guy doesn't have *anything* I'm interested in", and leave me alone.

• Haha
Reactions: highland145