Thoughts on EOS R?

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Got what I think was great deal on Canon's site on a refurbished EOS R for $1100, but then found an EOS RP refurb for $700. Thinking about RMA'ing the R and getting the RP instead. This will be my first step up into full frame and mirrorless and went with Canon because I already have some lenses for my 80D and didn't want to start over with lenses. I figure I can get the RP and maybe a lens for the cost of the R, but now I'm wondering if I should just keep the R since it's on it's way. Either way I'll need an adapter to use my current lenses so I can save up and get my first L type lens in the future if I keep it. Or I'll be a little close to getting an L lens if I just go for the cheaper RP.

I mainly shoot portraits, and I don't really shoot video at all. For action shots, I've been reading that the R/RP aren't really that great, but I've been pretty happy with my 80d on that front. Thoughts?

• Wow
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Damn... that is a nice price for a RP.

80D user here, this camera does all I ever want from it. Too bad it's heavy as hell, I find myself using a M200 instead, whenever possible.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Damn... that is a nice price for a RP.

80D user here, this camera does all I ever want from it. Too bad it's heavy as hell, I find myself using a M200 instead, whenever possible.

Yea I missed out on some good BF/Cyber Monday deals on new with lenses but saw this on their website. I think it was $1199 actually though. Either way, I thought it was a good price and sprung for it, but then saw the RP and tried cancelling the order, but I couldn't. Apparently you have to RMA it once received which is why I was wondering if I should just keep it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
For action shots, I've been reading that the R/RP aren't really that great
i assume that's because of the (relatively) slow servo AF continuous speed. but if you're mostly shooting actual portraits that doesn't matter so much. more importantly, it seems like the eye af is the same in both cameras and works fairly well.