Thoughts and Prayers go out

Boo Boo

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
Heart felt sorrow goes out to the famililes of Woodburn Police Captain Tom Tennant and Oregon State Trooper William "Bill" Hakim. I am sincerly sorry for the loss of life and hope that the families get through these terrible times. May the continuing thoughtfullness of the citizens help ease your pain

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I was confused for a minute... I thought somehow my AnandTech Forums link got mixed up with the Woodburn Police or Oregon State Police forums...

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
I wonder why they took the bomb inside, maybe they underestimated the seriousness of the situation...
In any case, very sad.

Away

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
rose.gif

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: paulney
I wonder why they took the bomb inside, maybe they underestimated the seriousness of the situation...
In any case, very sad.

What was not staed in that particular article was that they violated protocol by taking the bomb inside.......

My heart goes out to the officers families!!

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Damn, that's only about 20m from my home.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
In any case, very sad.

What was not staed in that particular article was that they violated protocol by taking the bomb inside.......

Yeah. You don't bring a suspicious device inside a building. Hell, depending on the looks of the device, protocol may be to leave it where it was found and attempt to defuse it there, but most likely the protocol the bomb techs were supposed to follow is take it to a remote enough location to ensure safety to any nearby people and structures.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: destrekor
In any case, very sad.

Yeah. You don't bring a suspicious device inside a building. Hell, depending on the looks of the device, protocol may be to leave it where it was found and attempt to defuse it there, but most likely the protocol the bomb techs were supposed to follow is take it to a remote enough location to ensure safety to any nearby people and structures.

Thinking the same thing. You watch on the news how they send in the robot, clear the area....even detonate sometimes....... and are extra precautious with just questionable packages....wtf were they thinking :confused: They'll never make that mistake again
rose.gif

Now, I wonder who planted the bomb? Our branch of that particular bank just got robbed last week also...crazy

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: destrekor
In any case, very sad.

I'm assuming these guys got some sort of training during their careers, who knows how long ago it was, and never had to use it in rural Oregon. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that their standards for keeping training up-to-date are lax, it doesn't make sense to me how two of them could die and one could be in critical condition. I would also assume that part of the protocol is trying to keep as few people at risk at one time, in this case they had at least 3 people in proximity to the blast who got seriously injured or killed.