Those w/ manual transmission cars....do you leave it in gear when you park?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
It's stupid not to put your car in gear when it's parked. Besides, I am used stepping on the clutch to start the car. With older cars, you have to step on the clutch before starting the car. But I don't think you need to do that now with the newer cars.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Usually, but I don't pay attention when I'm parking on level ground, since it's not going to move with the parking brake on, unless someone's pushing it with another car. Why someone would do that, I'd rather not know.

In theory, you should always use the parking brake, and always put it in first or reverse.

goodoptics

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: kt
It's stupid not to put your car in gear when it's parked. Besides, I am used stepping on the clutch to start the car. With older cars, you have to step on the clutch before starting the car. But I don't think you need to do that now with the newer cars.
I believed it's the opposite. With older cars that have carburator, you don't have to step on the clutch before starting the car. With the newer cars that have fuel injection, you do need to step on the clutch due to neutral safety switch.

timmyG

Oct 12, 2000
if the ground is flat like my driveway i just use the ebrake but if im on a hill that worries me then i put it in 1st.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
I always leave it in first and put the emergency brake on. Force of habit and it's much more secure that way. With the emergency brake on and your car in neutral, all that is keeping your car from rolling is a cable mechanically controlling the rear brakes of your car.

BTW.. What sort of driver are you anyway that you don't check to see what gear you're in when you start the car?

Sal

May 26, 2001
Originally posted by: dman6666
I turn it off and (usually) put it in 2nd gear except when I'm FACING a decline, then I put it in R. And I ALWAYS use the E Brake.

In addition, if I'm on a steep incline/decline, I turn (or leave) the front wheels so that if the car moves it'll head toward the closest curb.

ah, but when parking Uphill, always turn your wheels AWAY from the curb...

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: goodoptics
Originally posted by: kt
I believed it's the opposite. With older cars that have carburator, you don't have to step on the clutch before starting the car. With the newer cars that have fuel injection, you do need to step on the clutch due to neutral safety switch.

Dunno if that's entirely true. My car doesn't need the clutch engaged when I start it. However, I still do out of habit. I don't leave it in first if it's in the garage. I leave it in first everywhere else. never had to put it in reverse.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
The only reason I leave it in gear now is because I haven't bought new e-brake cables since I did the brake conversion.