Those Of You With Beards

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Those of you that have beards... when you're shaving the rest of your face, how do you normally do it? Do you put shaving cream around the beard and then shave around it or do you put it all over and then trace out the line of the beard every time? I've been shaving around mine and seems to work well enough. Also, anyone have any tips on how to make sure it's kept even on both sides of my face, other than just being really careful and precise? Thanks.

Stratum9

Apr 13, 2002
I've had a beard for about 12 years now. Grooming it is almost an art. If I just let it grow unattended it just gets bushy before it starts to get long -- not the look I want to have.

I don't like my beard growing down my neck and merging with my chest hair and I don't like it growing up too high on my cheeks. So the bottom line of my beard is midway between the bottom of my chin and my adams apple. The top part I shave down even with the corner of my lips then it sort of stair-steps up to where it would meet my side burns. Kenny Roger's beard is the best example I can think of.

I put the shaving cream only on the parts I want shaved. After the first pass with the razor I wipe away the shaving cream so I can clearly work on the details of evening out the edges. In the beginning I was always screwing it up. You get one side too low and then you want to even the other side out but you get that too low and before you know it you've completly changed the shape of the beard and have to grow it all back. Now that I've had years of practice I can get it done rather quickly and acurately. And once your beard is fuller the lines will be easier to maintain.

After shaving and getting the shape right I use a beard trimmer to trim the whole thing down evenly so it doesn't look to thick and burly looking. I use the trimmer about once a week, but it all depends on your rate of growth.

Just keep in mind that most peoples faces are not symetrical. You can get it to look pretty close on both sides but it will never be exact. Being a perfectionist it used to drive me crazy until I finally realized this. Plus the differences won't be noticble to anybody else expect you since most people aren't studying your face so intently the way you do when your shaving.

Just wait until you start getting streaks of gray in it! It's rather distinguishing. And I'm only thirty-one! It'll probably be all white by my early forties!

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Thanks for the help, Stratum. I figured that was the best way to approach it. I guess it just takes practice and precision to make it look right every time.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: baffled2
and whatever you do, don't forget to use conditioner on the darn thing when you shower !

You know, for it took me years to start doing that, and you know where I learned about that tip - PLAYBOY! :D

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: vi_edit
and whatever you do, don't forget to use conditioner on the darn thing when you shower !

You know, for it took me years to start doing that, and you know where I learned about that tip - PLAYBOY! :D

Hahaha, well we won't be discussing how I picked up that particular bit of info :eek:

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: vi_edit

I read Playboy for the articles. :) Hehehe. Although there are some good ones in there.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
I use a trimmer to keep is short.

I usually just dry shave away the hair I don't want.

Thats right, I'm a REAL MAN!! ;)

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
I draw mine on with a magic marker... looks cool and the ladies love it...

Yeah, you gotta resort to that when the hormone treatments stop the hair growth. :p

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I'm very fair skinned... :(... i probably won't have an acceptatble beard growth pattern till I'm fifty. It's patchy and thin:(

Shaftatplanetquake

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
throw on the shaving cream around the hair you want to keep. be careful and precise when shaving to keep your lines symetrical.

Jeffwo

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2001
I put the shave cream all over and then carefully shave the part that needs to be shaved.

Then once a month or so use the trimmer to redefine the lines.

Jeff

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I surround my face and leave my beard un-creamed. Then after all the hair is gone, I retrace my beard where I want it gone and shave that.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
I don't even like beards on my clams (I don't like hair in my food) ;)

Thank you captain crass....;) Although pubic grooming is certainly important.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser

Did you forget? LOL!

;)

oh man, what a trout smack down you've got coming for that one !!! SMACK !!!! :D :eek:

< is sent flying backwards across the room, now recovering under a huge pile of books and CD's >

Don't leave openings like that. :D