Those of you with a green thumb, help me identify my tree.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
A (poor) photo

That's about the best shot I have of it. I am trying to identify and am not having luck. I'm thinking it's an Ash, but I cannot be sure.

Some facts:

The leaves never turn in the fall, they stay green
The leaves do not fall until well after the first major snowfall, so early December
The branches are quite brittle in the wind, they fall often
It is by far the tallest tree in the very mature neighborhood

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Looks like an elm tree. Least that's my first guess (leaf shape and rarity (lack thereof really)).

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A close up of a single leaf would help a lot. Not that I'm an expert, but the Leaves are usually unique enough to identify trees.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
That is an Eastern Thiahap Burrold Rasp tree. I don't know how you got one to grow in Rochester Hills, it's not really cold enough there for this type of tree.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: NoShangriLa
Need

1 clear pic of branch & leaves
1 pic of clear single leave
may need 1 pic of under side of single leave.

Tree Identification

You will have to wait 4 months for that ;)

Actually, I may have some leaves left over from winter, but they will be brown from being off the tree for a few months.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
That is an Eastern Thiahap Burrold Rasp tree. I don't know how you got one to grow in Rochester Hills, it's not really cold enough there for this type of tree.

That was my 2nd guess. Really tho... I went elm cuz like the ETBR is rare for that clime.

Yeah.

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: JasonCoder
Looks like an elm tree. Least that's my first guess (leaf shape and rarity (lack thereof really)).

I'm guessing Elm, and I'll go ahead and guess that it has Dutch Elm's disease too.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I was going to help you guys help me today, but it was -5 with the windchill so I didn't go outside after I got back from work. Perhaps tomorrow. I can describe the leaf structure as point on end, alternating compound blades.