Those must be some pretty sophisticated donkeys

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Story
The Palestine and Sheraton Hotels, which are adjacent, were hit by a series of rockets fired by one unmanned donkey-drawn cart in the central Saydoon neighborhood of Baghdad at about 7:15 a.m. At about the same time, another series of rockets - also fired from an unmanned cart - hit the Oil Ministry, igniting a fire on the fifth floor of the sprawling office building, which was unoccupied at the time.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
From the article:

Suggestions that the donkey be released to see whether he would walk home - possibly leading to the mastermind behind the attacks - went unheeded by U.S. military at the scene.

Interesting statement. I wonder why?

Actually, I wonder how true that statement is. I haven't found another reference to that yet. Anyone?

CNN Link

This one doesn't have the allegation about the US military "unheeding" the brilliant suggestion.

Also, the UPI story has the donkeys "doing just fine."

CNN has "A shell-shocked and singed donkey shivered by the overturned cart. "

Very interesting.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
poor poor donkey...

BTW: Will donkey's really go home like that? I know horses will, but donkey's?

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
poor poor donkey...

BTW: Will donkey's really go home like that? I know horses will, but donkey's?

If you were a donkey tricked into firing some missles, would you go home? I'd go to the nearest coalition base! :)

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Read some of the quotes in this article. I guess you have to find levity where you can.

washingtonpost.com
Rockets Hit 2 Baghdad Hotels, Oil Ministry
Insurgents Used Donkey Carts as Firing Platforms

By Rajiv Chandrasekaran, Anthony Shadid and Fred Barbash
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, November 21, 2003; 2:43 PM

BAGHDAD, Nov. 21--Insurgents deploying rocket-launcher-equipped donkey carts attacked symbolically important and well-fortified buildings in Baghdad Friday, just hours after a top U.S. commander proclaimed progress in the military's newly aggressive high-tech counter-insurgency operation.

The donkey-cart offensive hit the Sheraton and Palestine hotels here, which house reporters and U.S. contractors, including employees of Kellogg Brown and Root Inc., a subsidiary of the Halliburton Co., as well as the Iraqi oil ministry, where bureaucrats displaced from a number of government departments do their work.

A civilian, believed to be an employee of Kellogg Brown and Root, was critically injured and will be flown to a military hospital in Germay. Rockets at the ministry started fires but no injuries were reported.

Afterwards, the military ordered that all donkey carts be stopped and searched. Iraqi police then found two more battle-equipped carts, one in front of Baghdad University's Law School and the other near the offices of the Kurdish Democratic Party.

The cart at the university carried a makeshift bomb built from cooking gas cylinders wired together -- a "donkey bomb," in the words of Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, the military's top spokesman here.

The cart at the party offices was inscribed in Arabic with the words: "My beloved. My heart is with you."

The damage to buildings and the injuries to people were relatively contained. Few people were at work early Friday, a holy day here. But the attacks brought some complaints from Iraqis.

The rockets came "one after another," said Abu Mustaffa Abbas, whose home faces the oil ministry, one of the rocketed facilities. "There is no security. They cannot even protect themselves. So why are they here?"

"They would certainly have an element of surprise by having a donkey cart," said Col. Brad May, commander of the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment. "Most people would not think of a donkey cart being used to fire rockets from. . . . They try and continue to get one step ahead of us. They're going to use varying techniques.

"These were spectacular attacks and clearly the enemy is taking a look at our operations and realized we are clamping down," said Kimmitt. "They realized they can't attack and defeat us in the conventional sense. What they're trying to do is to break our will and capture headlines. . . .

"These attacks have no tactical value. What's the purpose of firing rockets at an empty ministry building on a Friday, which is the equivalent of a European Sunday. When you're firing rockets off the back of a donkey cart you're not using the most accurate systems."

Donkey carts are a common early morning sight on the streets of Baghdad as people lacking swifter transport bring in produce and goods from the fringes of the city for sale in the stores and stalls at the center. They also carry metal containers of kerosene and diesel fuel. Thus, they appear commonplace and innocuous.

They were anything but innocuous this morning as the rounds they fired sailed over concrete fortifications and found their targets.

Three rockets penetrated the Palestine's fourteenth, fifteenth and sixteenth floors.

The carts carried Russian-design multiple rocket launchers camouflaged so that they looked more like generators.

Troops returned fire, apparently injuring a donkey at the Sheraton and shaking up others. The donkeys were "shaken not stirred," Kimmitt said. "They are alive but one is quite frankly pretty shook up. . . . All indications are that the donkeys will recover."

The U.S. military has responded to a heavy barrage of attacks this month with tougher military tactics, using aerial bombing, satellite-guided missiles and mortars to target suspected guerrilla hideouts.

The commander of U.S. troops in Baghdad, Brig, Gen. Martin Dempsey, told a briefing Thursday that since the launch of the crackdown in the capital this month there had been a 70 percent fall in attacks on U.S. forces in the city. He called the rocket attacks unsophisticated. "When they shoot these rockets," he said, "they have very little idea where they're going."

Asked about the status of donkeys, Col. William Darley, another Army spokesman, said that while they are not "enemy combatants, " they are "deemed to have been co-opted to perform the will of the terrorists elements."

Barbash reported from Washington.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
"Iraqi police then found two more battle-equipped carts, . . . " a quote from Tnitsuj's post. Stand in fear, the new high tech weapon and we don't have it. Pretty soon though, we'll be developing "anti-donkey battle equipted carts." We're going to have ours drawn by soldiers to avoid risking donkeys.

No doubt it was some dunce from a farm who'd lived with livestock for 22 years who said to let them go and see where they went. The guys in charge know better than that. The donkey's are now being interrigated by military intelligence.

EDITED: I also like the part of the article where the guy said, "The missles arrived one after the other." Hey, there's only two ways to do it. All at once, one after the other. I'm not knocking the witnesses story. I'm knocking the "stirring" reporting.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Whit, I think the statement from the witness was to accentuate (sp?) the fact that the missles came in succession in a short period of time, as opposed to coming in bursts or minutes apart.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Whit, I think the statement from the witness was to accentuate (sp?) the fact that the missles came in succession in a short period of time, as opposed to coming in bursts or minutes apart.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Boy, that would be a tough movie to make. The earth being taken over by donkies. As opposed to the way it is now, ruled by jackasses.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Whitling
Boy, that would be a tough movie to make. The earth being taken over by donkies. As opposed to the way it is now, ruled by jackasses.

rofl

miguel

Nov 2, 2001

Err, jackass is a donkey, is it not? A male donkey?

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: sward666
Why has no one made the obvious Democrat joke? You guys disappoint me.

The world (and forum) is what you make it, my friend. I don't know about you, but I am sick of the left/right, democrat/republican bickering in this forum.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Miguel, a couple of things. First, "jackass." If you're referring to an animal, yes, a donkey is the same as a domestic ass. If you're referring to a politician, a jackass is an entirely separate, and less worthy, thing.

Second, and this is a reply to Sward666. My compliments to you on our missing the obvious reference to Democrats. And as to Miguel, as everyone on this board will tell you, this isn't about right and left, Republicans and Democrats. It's about good and evil, right and wrong, intelligence and stupidity. I, and other right minded individuals, stand on the side of the former characteristics. Others, for mysterious reasons of their own, have chosen to support the second of each set of characteristics.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Miguel, a couple of things. First, "jackass." If you're referring to an animal, yes, a donkey is the same as a domestic ass. If you're referring to a politician, a jackass is an entirely separate, and less worthy, thing.

Second, and this is a reply to Sward666. My compliments to you on our missing the obvious reference to Democrats. And as to Miguel, as everyone on this board will tell you, this isn't about right and left, Republicans and Democrats. It's about good and evil, right and wrong, intelligence and stupidity. I, and other right minded individuals, stand on the side of the former characteristics. Others, for mysterious reasons of their own, have chosen to support the second of each set of characteristics.

You are aware, aren't you that "the other side" probably says the exact same thing you did about doog and evil?

edit: s/doog/good/

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Of course, that's why I phrased it the way I did and didn't tie it to any specific issues. In point of fact, I happen to be liberal as most people on the board must know, but a conservative could reprint and use my exact statement without altering anything.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: sward666
Why has no one made the obvious Democrat joke? You guys disappoint me.

We would have but these donkeys actually did something besides whine and kick - they did work, so to compare them to the donkeys here would be an insult to the donkeys over there;) :D

CkG

PS - it was a joke people...untwist your panties.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Are these the weapons of ASS destruction that we've been looking for? :D

Gotta credit Leno for that one. ;)