Those 3-pin fan they have a name?


Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Hi all. Received a box of various fans from an electronics surplus shop ( BTW, the vast majority of their fans are $4 each. Quite a large selection of fans up to 92mm to choose from. Their selection of 118/120mm fans is a little skimpy, though.

Anyway, most of these fans have proprietary power connectors so I need to roll my own connector. One of these fans will be my new heatsink fan so I need to find a 3-pin power connector like you find on CPU fans. Anybody know if these connectors have a name or better yet, anybody know of a shop that sells them cheaply? A quick glance through my DigiKey catalog turned up a number of possible candidates with differing pin spacings...I'd rather not order one of each in hopes that one of them is the "right" one.

Any suggestions?



Senior member
Oct 22, 1999
It seems that digikey does not use the 'official title' for these type connectors. I also make purchases of components from Mouser, and they call this type of connector the "Molex K. K. Series". The KK series header uses .025" square pins, spaced at .100"; they usually incorporate a locking tab and polarization tabs [to retain the plug unto the header and to only allow it to plugged in correctly].

Sample part numbers for Mouser are: #538-22-01-3037 for the 3-pin housing and #538-08-56-0110 for the crimp terminals.

Sample part numbers for digikey are; WM2001-ND for the 3 pin housing and WM2312-ND for the crimp terminals.