Thompson Defends Fundraiser With Criminal Record

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
So.. Can you prove that Clinton's campaign supplied the Washington Post with the information about Thompson's fundraiser?

Nope. But anyone with two functioning eyes can figure it out.

I think it was all planned. Russert's attempted hit session on MTP coincided nicely with this little revelation, eh?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: senseamp
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
Originally posted by: Wreckem
I dont know how you can compare, one of Clinton's largest bundlers being a current fugitive and breaking FEC rules, to someone that was convicted and served his time over 20 years ago.

To be fair - if this were any of the Democratic front runners, would not some make hay of it?

They would bash Hillary if she unknowingly took money from a drug trafficker or a pedophile priest, and they give a complete pass to their own candidates who employ and defend that type of scum.

And how is what you are doing any different?

You don't bring a knife to a gun fight. If GOP wants to bash Hillary, they deserve what's coming to them.

So you are doing the exact same thing that you criticize the GOP for doing.....

It has not escaped my notice that many peoples' political affiliation is merely an accident of birth. In other words, I strongly believe that senseamp would have been a proud neocon had he been born 10 years earlier, and I would have been arguing against him then as I am against him now.

I probably would not have been a neocon, but I would have been an independent if these Republicans didn't impeach Clinton. That pretty much solidified my opinion of GOP as a bunch of hypocrites who'll do anything for power.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Fred Thompson's questionable choices of association go back much further, to 1973, when, as an official attorney for the Republicans on the Senate Watergate committee, he was a Richard Nixon's mole in the committee. Even though he was Nixon's mole, Nixon thought Fred Thomspon was "dumb as hell".

Thompson should stick to acting. At least on TV, his fictional character actually tries to uphold Law and Order. Obviously, he can't be trusted to do as much in the real world. Of course, neither could Richard Nixon, and neither can George Bush. :roll:

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Since the priest has never been convicted of anything, but you (OP) deem to call him a pedophile anyhow, I don't suppose you'll mind me pointing out that Hillary Clinton's husband is a rapist?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I dont know how you can compare, one of Clinton's largest bundlers being a current fugitive and breaking FEC rules, to someone that was convicted and served his time over 20 years ago.

Except that Hillary does not employ or defend Hsu. Fred is defending and employing this guy and Rudy is employing and defending a pedophile priest.

Are you on the DNC payroll?

Re; Rudy - the guy doesn't work in his campaign, although you imply so. The guy is accused but not convicted, contrary to your implication (you left out the word "alleged")

Re: Thompson - he just found out about it. Not suprising since the offenses occured so long ago. He's a fund raiser, similar to Hsu.

Re: Hillary- the guy's a convicted felon, on the run, who is allegedly involved in campaign corruption of this CURRENT Pres. election. The fundraiser for Thompson, AFAIK, is not accused of any current campaign violations, unlike Hsu.

Did you know that Hillary employs in her campaign an impeached polition, a disbarred attorney and an alleged sexual predator (who settled out of court)? See how that works?

Ah well, I suppose Thompson just lost your vote.

Fern

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Thump553
Vic, the point is hypocrisy, which is especially amusing among self-righteous politicians (which you must admit, the national GOP is chock-full of). It's clowns like this that Will Rogers, Mark Twain and countless others have made their careers upon.

Arguing that this somehow has relevance to some Democratic candidate's position on the so-called War on Drugs (or War Against Child Molestors) completely misses the point. When your candidate behaves like a moron don't lash out at the others.

Yes, exactly, the point is the hypocrisy of the OP. Look at the Hillary threads or just look at this one, you will see him defending Hillary for doing the exact same things that he is criticizing the Republicans for doing.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...html?hpid=sec-politics

Republican presidential candidate Fred D. Thompson said yesterday that he wishes one of his key fundraisers had told him earlier about past drug trafficking and bookmaking arrests because, even though they occurred more than two decades ago, "nothing is ever over and done with and forgotten about in this business."

Republicans should clean their own glass houses before they start throwing rocks at Hillary.

You'd think someone who's been an actor for Law & Order and is an attorney himself would at least make sure his own staff don't have criminal records.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...html?hpid=sec-politics

Republican presidential candidate Fred D. Thompson said yesterday that he wishes one of his key fundraisers had told him earlier about past drug trafficking and bookmaking arrests because, even though they occurred more than two decades ago, "nothing is ever over and done with and forgotten about in this business."

Republicans should clean their own glass houses before they start throwing rocks at Hillary.

You'd think someone who's been an actor for Law & Order and is an attorney himself would at least make sure his own staff don't have criminal records.

^ Bwuhahahaha

Like playing a part in a TV show qualifies you as the real thing?

Fern

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern

Except that Hillary does not employ or defend Hsu. Fred is defending and employing this guy and Rudy is employing and defending a pedophile priest.

Are you on the DNC payroll?

Re; Rudy - the guy doesn't work in his campaign, although you imply so. The guy is accused but not convicted, contrary to your implication (you left out the word "alleged")
Guy works for Rudy's law firm. He's only "alleged" because he molested those kids long time ago and can't be tried.
Re: Thompson - he just found out about it. Not suprising since the offenses occured so long ago. He's a fund raiser, similar to Hsu.
Not similar to Hsu at all. This guy is Thompson's employee, Hsu was never employed by Hillary
Re: Hillary- the guy's a convicted felon, on the run, who is allegedly involved in campaign corruption of this CURRENT Pres. election. The fundraiser for Thompson, AFAIK, is not accused of any current campaign violations, unlike Hsu.
Except Hsu doesn't work for Hillary. Hillary does not defend him and keep him on her payroll. He's just a private citizen who donated money to Hillary. Huge difference
Did you know that Hillary employs in her campaign an impeached polition, a disbarred attorney and an alleged sexual predator (who settled out of court)? See how that works?

Ah well, I suppose Thompson just lost your vote.

Fern

Well, that's all good, you can bring up that Hillary employs President Clinton, and I will bring up that Rudy employs in his law firm and still defends an "alleged" pedophile priest, and Fred employed a convicted drug trafficker. The voters can decide what they think about these staff decisions on all sides :D
Go Fred!!!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Here is a lovely picture of Jorge Cabrera and Hillary at the White House. Hillary and cocanine dealer at White House

Seems that Mr. Cabrera gave the Democrats $20,000 in donations which was enough to earn an invitation to the White House.

Sadly Bill and Hillary did not seem to know that Mr. Cabrera raised that $20,000 through the sale of cocaine. In fact at the time of the pictures Mr. Cabrera already had two felony drug convictions. Later he was caught smuggling 3 tons of cocaine into Florida and pled guilty and was sentenced to 19 years in prison.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Here is a lovely picture of Jorge Cabrera and Hillary at the White House. Hillary and cocanine dealer at White House

Seems that Mr. Cabrera gave the Democrats $20,000 in donations which was enough to earn an invitation to the White House.

Sadly Bill and Hillary did not seem to know that Mr. Cabrera raised that $20,000 through the sale of cocaine. In fact at the time of the pictures Mr. Cabrera already had two felony drug convictions. Later he was caught smuggling 3 tons of cocaine into Florida and pled guilty and was sentenced to 19 years in prison.

Was he Clinton's employee? Didn't think so. Politicians take donations from and take pictures with a lot of people. Fred and Rudy are actually employing and defending their guys.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Was he Clinton's employee? Didn't think so. Politicians take donations from and take pictures with a lot of people. Fred and Rudy are actually employing and defending their guys.

What a shock, defending the Clintons yet again. I'm shocked! :roll:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Yea because 11 pounds of pot 20 years ago is the same as 3 tons of cocaine AFTER the picture was taken.

I have an idea let?s run out a list of every former associate of Thompson or Rudy?s that has a criminal record and compare it to a list of every associate of Bill or Hillary that has a criminal record.

I don?t think this is a battle you would want to fight since numerous Clinton friends have had run ins with the law, including a former cabinet member and Clinton?s successor in Arkansas.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Hillary is ?employing? Sandy Burger who admitted to stealing and destroying classified national security documents, do you have a problem with that?

I seem to remember defending her on that in the past.