This would validate my existence.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/15/might-be-tie-fightin-lucasarts-hiring/

Lucasarts made many of my favourite games of the ‘90s, a time when I was a very happy gamer indeed. There were all the classic adventure games and then there were the space sims, X-Wing and TIE Fighter. I sometimes forget just how good they were and then I get confused about the fact that I’m not playing a brand spanking new version right now. It really has been a while, hasn’t it? But perhaps the wait is over. The eagle eyes of Gamespot have noticed that Lucasarts are looking to hire developers to work on three new titles, one of which is an aerial combat game. Speculation, ho!

That could mean all sorts of things but the advert does specify that experience with “space-based shooters” is of particular benefit. It’s all in the heady realm of guesswork and idle dreaming at the moment but if we are on the verge of an announcement of the possibility of a far-off release of a new TIE Fighter, I say it’s about time.

There are two other games hinted at, one an action/adventure game, the other an FPS. I’m not going to speculate about those because I’m too busy thinking about TIE Fighter. It’s one of the last Star Wars things that I still love without question so maybe I’m being a slave to the license here. I know there are other good space sims out there. But the sights and sounds of those particular space battles are like my childhood and for some reason I want my childhood to look all fancy and modern.

Unfortunately I'm sure that Lucasarts will turn this into some Kinect/Wii/PSMove casual childrens garbage based on the clone wars. Someone needs to wrest the Star Wars IP away from George Lucas and restore it to it's former glory.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Annie Skywalker in: Mommy I can pod race too!

With special appearances by baby Jar Jar and the ewoks!

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Unfortunately I'm sure that Lucasarts will turn this into some Kinect/Wii/PSMove casual childrens garbage based on the clone wars. Someone needs to wrest the Star Wars IP away from George Lucas and restore it to it's former glory.

George is going through his second childhood in old age and Factor 5 went bankrupt. Can you say, "Leggo Tie Fighter"!

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Star Wars MMO FPS plz. Planetside 2 is looking bad, this would be a great time for SW to enter the fray.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Republic Commando 2 please.

Or a decent space combat game a la. Freespace 2 quality (as in the best the PC has seen)

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Screw all that. We desperately need a new 64 bit compatible Rogue Squadron. None of the emulators work worth crap, the graphics are ancient, and it just won't play in 64 bit no matter how much tweaking people do.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Star Wars MMO FPS plz. Planetside 2 is looking bad, this would be a great time for SW to enter the fray.

Storm Trooper FPS! You have cross hairs to help you aim, but the gun fires in a random direction with each pull of the trigger.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
It'll be The Force Unleashed: Tie Fighter edition. You'll mostly force choke/lightning x-wings down.

goobernoodles

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2005
X wing vs tie fighter was the essence of my middle school years. Goddamn that game rocked. They should totally make a new one.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Please no. There is already one too many Star Wars MMO in development.

Even a rehash of the much simpler Rogue Squadron games would be great, but a more in-depth space sim like X-Wing and TIE Fighter would be amazing.

How many Star Wars MMOs are in development? I know only of The Old Republic. Also, it's an MMORPG, there could be 100 MMORPGs and we'd still need an MMOFPS.

Although, I wouldn't care if it was Starcraft based, it's the MMOFPS part that's needed.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I recently got a win7 64 bit version of Tie fighter that works. I plugged in my joystick and tried it out. The first mission was to inspect ships or something like that... so I'm flying, I see dots on the radar and for the life of my I can't find them. Maybe I should have done the training or was I just missing something?

Btw, Back in the late 90's, I broke my leg and started playing Rogue Squadron on the N64 and just loved that game but I could see the graphics of Tie Fighter were primitive even compared to that.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
How many Star Wars MMOs are in development? I know only of The Old Republic.

That's my point.

Okay so call me an old fart but I hate MMOs, and it saddens me that a great game series like KOTOR is being ruined by being turned into an MMORPG. Ditto Fallout. But that's just my opinion.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I've been waiting desperately for them to release working windows versions of xwing and tie figher on steam for a long time. Every time one of those star wars packs goes up for sale I check to see if those games have been added.

Tie Fighter was such a great game. I just remember the cutscenes making me so happy to be on the evil side haha.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
That's my point.

Okay so call me an old fart but I hate MMOs, and it saddens me that a great game series like KOTOR is being ruined by being turned into an MMORPG. Ditto Fallout. But that's just my opinion.

Ah, right. Well, I do think that any SW fan of the movies would envision any Star Wars game as being a shooter. I can see how the RPG treatment, which is to say, hit points, meaning you can slash at a target with your lightsaber, actually hitting, and they won't die til their hit points run out, I can see how that dilutes things.

But that's not a problem(or not much of one) in an FPS, MMO or otherwise :)

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Please no. There is already one too many Star Wars MMO in development.

Even a rehash of the much simpler Rogue Squadron games would be great, but a more in-depth space sim like X-Wing and TIE Fighter would be amazing.

X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter with modern graphics would be a GREAT game! They wouldn't even have to redo the game mechanics much, just give it good graphics and lots of people would buy it. I feel the same way about the old Sierra games (King's Quest, Space Quest, etc). Fabulous games that would thrive today with revised graphics.