This would take a bite out of crime

herdmaster

Apr 22, 2000
Yeah. i never understood why we stopped with public hangings etc.
justice delayed and/or hidden from view is no justice.

Daedalus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Because there was a time in our history where justice became more important than vicarious entertainment and revenge. That is now changing back.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I find that to be disgusting. That is not justice, it is barbaric to say the least. In a country like that, you are lucky if you even get the right to a trial, let alone a fair one. And I am sorry, if it controls crime so much, why did they have weekly executions there?

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
I agree with GF. Its barbaric, and I thank God I don't live in a society with such an inferior and vengeful justice system. I bet that statstically this sort of punishment does not decrease crime...

BiB

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
What do you guys suggest we do with all the convicted killers - yes, some may be innocent and will be acquitted after their appeals, but after they have exhausted all appeals and there is 100% proof???

BTW, I'm not talking about someone who murdered just one person. I'm talking about people like Charles Manson and Jeffrey Dahmer?

I don't believe in capital punishment, but we do have to make them support themselves. How?

cfredc

Jul 19, 2000
Captial Punishment is the only way to go with 100% sure convicted murders... i fully believe in the eye-for-an-eye....

Fettesbabe, there is no way this american politically correct society would let prisoners to work for the rest of their life for their murders... its called human rights... and the stupid rights of the prisoner allows them to have free housing in jail cells with equiptment to increase their knowledge or hone their killing skills at the taxpayers expense... we should just kill them and put the dollars into better use...

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
That is a good question FettsBabe. Actually some prisons force you to pay back the goverment when you leave for the money they spent to support you. But as for people who will be lifers, I don't know. Maybe put them to work testing software for computer companies? ;) Or something else that does not allow them contact with the outside world.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Not sure Fetts! I don't support capital punishment but it wouldn't take much tugging on my leg to say "lets see his ass fry" with those whacked out serial killers. Granted, I think the insanity defense should work for them...but who cares; they are basically just society's mistakes and should be erased.

Of course the vast majority of killers are nowhere near as inherently evil as the people you mentioned. You are looking for a solution for a tiny tiny minority of convicted killers.

BiB

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
According to the CNN report, they kill adulterers too.
If we did barbaric things like that in the USA we'd have to kill half the politicians :D

afronappy

Jul 22, 2000
Capital Punishment is defintely bad...Now keep in mind that I have never had anyone close to me murdered, so I may feel differently about this were that the case.

However, statistically speaking, in the U.S. that is, states that still engage in captial punishment actually have higher murder rates than the states that don't.

Another thing, most murders are committed by people the victim knows in the heat of passion. It doesn't matter what deterent (ok, my spelling sucks) is involved in cases like those.

Solution, make murderers spend the rest of their lifes building other prisons, no parole, no cable, no air conditioning. A library is acceptable. Make them sew their own clothes and grow their own food. This will never come to pass, but I think it is a much more humane and prudent way to dispose of murderers.

When you hit and humiliate a child, the only the child learns is to hit and humiliate others. How can we condemn murder, but condone th same act as punishment. It's not right. Think on it.

yakawictz

Feb 8, 2000
I noticed that the "brother" of one of the victims got his revenge . This is good. I was the victim of a vicious crime. I don't think you should judge the harshness of punishment until you have been a victim yourself. Then you will see things differently. Let the victims have their revenge.
I understand those who question the government undertaking executins, so why not let the victims or the relatives carry out the sentence.