This woman's dying wish is ruined...

Mar 16, 2005
she didn't meet the requirements for a bachelor's degree, so she didn't deserve it.

the university offered an associate's degree, which she met the requirements for.

Jun 27, 2005
Wow... That is just sad. On the one hand she's asking for something she didn't earn. On the other, she's dying.

I would HATE to be the dean of that school and be presented with that scenario.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
i am pretty sure she and the rest of the world would understand if she didn't get her diploma should she fail to meet the requirements.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Let's give her a rig license, a ccw, and hell, let's make her a texas ranger too.

didnt actually watch it... no flash...

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: Colt45
Let's give her a rig license, a ccw, and hell, let's make her a texas ranger too.

didnt actually watch it... no flash...

she's going to die. just make her happy. not like this affects anyone.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Allen Iverson
Originally posted by: nonameo
Honorary degree?

yep they should give her that. if bill gates can have one, she should.

Not really... even though I am against honorary altogether, they are generally only given to honor an individual's contribution to society.

Looking past the emotional bullshit, it's clear that this girl should not be getting a degree that she did not earn.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Breaking News: Woman didn't earn college degree, does not recieve college degree!

Damn, CNN, it's a good thing that nothing important is going on in the world.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Sad story, but I still wouldn't give her a degree either. Sucks for that dean to even be in that position.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: andylawcc
i am pretty sure she and the rest of the world would understand if she didn't get her diploma should she fail to meet the requirements.

Interesting thing is that they said she exceeeded the necessary number of credits for a degree but did not have a major picked.

Is that her fault or lack of guidance by the school???

Typically after a certain point you are asked to pick a major.

Need more info.

Oct 25, 2006
Give her a fake one. A certificate, but no electronic or paper backing in the school files. You can't sue if you're dead.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade
It would set a bad precedent if they just handed her a degree b/c of her circumstances.

i agree. its sad she has cancer. but that should make no diffrence on getting a degree.

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
It would set a bad precedent if they just handed her a degree b/c of her circumstances.

True, but it would likely only be relevant in similar cases where the person is dying. Honestly I'm not sure what guidelines the college is bound by, but couldn't they just give her a special diploma or something? All she wants is a piece of paper, I don't think she'll be using the degree to get a job anywhere......

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: wasssup

True, but it would likely only be relevant in similar cases where the person is dying. Honestly I'm not sure what guidelines the college is bound by, but couldn't they just give her a special diploma or something? All she wants is a piece of paper, I don't think she'll be using the degree to get a job anywhere......

does not matter if she is not going to get a job.

what happens if someone else who is "dying" wants one? they give him a degree and he makes a full recovery! what then? they going to take it away? they going to allow him to work?

ok so you say only give it to people who are going to die soon. ok thats discrimnation and will open up a lot of lawsuits!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

They did offer her a "piece of paper", an Associates degree in Arts.

Her and her mother turned it down.

Her and her mother did not say what major she was looking for a bachelor degree in most likely because she never picked a major and did not fulfill the requisets for one.

All the news clip did say was that she exceeded the amount of credits needed for a bachelor degree.

I asked who's fault is it that she didn't get into taking specific classes for a major?

Normally after you reach a certain number of credits (normally when you reach the Associate Arts level) that a Guidance Office of a College asks you to pick a major towards a bachlelor degree.

So who was at fault here???

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

They did offer her a "piece of paper", an Associates degree in Arts.

Her and her mother turned it down.

Her and her mother did not say what major she was looking for a bachelor degree in most likely because she never picked a major and did not fulfill the requisets for one.

All the news clip did say was that she exceeded the amount of credits needed for a bachelor degree.

I asked who's fault is it that she didn't get into taking specific classes for a major?

Normally after you reach a certain number of credits (normally when you reach the Associate Arts level) that a Guidance Office of a College asks you to pick a major towards a bachlelor degree.

So who was at fault here???
Well, since she's the one who has to pick a major, she is at fault.
"Oh, I'm supposed to do something and didn't? Must be someone elses fault!"

MagicConch

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Honorary degrees are already meaningless imo so they should have given her one of those, if only to avoid bad press. Why schools feel the need to get on a moral high horse in situations like this but will admit anyone related to someone famous regardless of their brain power is beyond me.