This woman's dying wish is ruined...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Chunky Monster
Her mother should have just lied to her. She could get a mock degree printed online or something and give it to the girl in a frame. If she waited long enough, the girl would be too ill to go to graduation ceremonies anyway.

I know it sounds cold, but the girl would have gotten a degree, the mother would have made the girl happy and no harm would have been done.

But then the mom can't sue when the daughter passes as am I sure this will lead too. So dauhter dies and mom blows our taxes on tying our court system up with some lame sob lawsuit over a diploma.

And just because it's a dying wish doesn't mean it gets granted. How many people die everyday with a wish that never sees the light of day much less the press?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: SillyOReilly
A lot of you guys are hardasses.

You can't possibly be worried that she'll compete with your on a job.

It has absolutely nothing at all to do with competition for jobs and everything to do with the basic principles of academic honesty and total equality. She didn't satisfy the requirements. That's all that matters. Nothing else has even the tiniest, most insignificant, bearing on this.

Meet the requirements, get the degree.
Don't meet the requirements, don't get the degree.

It's that simple.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Not everything in the world is logical, some things should be done to ease people's passing, if it's not a huge problem. It's not like they're giving her a million bucks.

Ideals are greater than any one person's life. Choosing to "ease someone's passing" by corrupting the ideal of academic equality is choosing to abandon one of the highest Goods to placate a base emotional response.

I've lost three grandparents to slow and debilitating deaths. I've helped change my grandfather's diaper, looking into the eyes of a man who was still, in his mind, the same proud man who worked so hard to provide for his family and who always believed that he could support himself. I saw the sadness and pain that came from his being trapped in a body that was falling apart.

I spent time with my grandmother as she was passing away from Parkinson's, slowly losing control of her own body, still trying to get around her house and feed everyone.

I've seen exactly what a long, drawn-out death can do to a person.

Never once did they ask for anything they didn't earn. Never. They didn't expect the world to give them anything to "ease their passing". You can wrap this in emotion as much as you like, but that doesn't, and never will, make your position morally correct.

ZV

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

It has absolutely nothing at all to do with competition for jobs and everything to do with the basic principles of academic honesty and total equality. She didn't satisfy the requirements. That's all that matters. Nothing else has even the tiniest, most insignificant, bearing on this.

It's that simple.

ZV

Honorary degree

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs

It's that simple.

ZV

Honorary degree

What are her extraordinary contributions to society that merit an honorary degree? Has she spent all her life working with the poor like Mother Theresa? Has she spent her life working for the sick like Albert Schweitzer? Has she created literature that has advanced the overall cultural consciousness like Robert Pirsig?

ZV

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

It's that simple.

ZV

Honorary degree

What are her extraordinary contributions to society that merit an honorary degree? Has she spent all her life working with the poor like Mother Theresa? Has she spent her life working for the sick like Albert Schweitzer? Has she created literature that has advanced the overall cultural consciousness like Robert Pirsig?

ZV

If they only gave honorary degrees to people with accomplishments such as you mentioned I might agree with you but when you look and see all the entertainers, athletes, and politicians that have been awarded honorary degrees by universities over the years if she has done a lot of first rate coursework then she probably is just as deserving if not more so of an honorary degree as any political hack.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

It's that simple.

ZV

Honorary degree

ZV

Honorary degrees are awarded at the discretion of the university. There are no hard and fast requirements for honorary degrees.

From a document on FIU's website entitled Criteria for Honorary Degrees:
The Honorary Degree and Awards Committee, a committee of the Faculty Senate that recommends individuals for honorary degrees, invites members of the FIU community to nominate prospective candidates for honorary degrees to be awarded by the University.

Florida International University awards honorary degrees to men and women who represent the ideals and purposes for which the University stands. Degrees are not generally bestowed on active members of the faculty, administration, or the FIU Foundation. They are awarded primarily on the basis of merit and not in recognition of an office held, either political or institutional. Fame receives less consideration than the intrinsic worth of an individual who has achieved extraordinary distinction in his or her field of endeavor. The committee encourages applicants with significant scholarly contributions to knowledge.

Should you wish to nominate a prospective candidate for an honorary degree, you must submit a written nomination letter and attach appropriate supporting documentation, including a resume or curriculum vitae of the candidate. There is no Deadline for submission. Address your correspondence to the Chair of the Honorary Degrees & Awards Committee, care of the Faculty Senate Office, PC 225.

Please forward your nomination to the Faculty Senate Office, PC 225, University Park Campus.

Nothing in there excludes her.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
If she turned down the AA she earned, what makes you think she'd go for the honorary degree?

No sense crying over a BA, she needs a Masters pronto! (but no more than 5)

Link

Q) I'm a member and I would like to create more degrees.
Is there a limit on the number of times I can use your tools to
create the degrees?

Yes. We are restrict a limit of a maximum of 5 certificates per member.

Q) I have a fake degree. Do you make accompanying Transcripts for them?

We are currently in the process to create the ability for members to make their own novelty Transcripts online. Please become a member and we may be able to help you.

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002

Honorary degrees are awarded at the discretion of the university. There are no hard and fast requirements for honorary degrees.

The Honorary Degree and Awards Committee, a committee of the Faculty Senate that recommends individuals for honorary degrees, invites members of the FIU community to nominate prospective candidates for honorary degrees to be awarded by the University.

Florida International University awards honorary degrees to men and women who represent the ideals and purposes for which the University stands. Degrees are not generally bestowed on active members of the faculty, administration, or the FIU Foundation. They are awarded primarily on the basis of merit and not in recognition of an office held, either political or institutional. Fame receives less consideration than the intrinsic worth of an individual who has achieved extraordinary distinction in his or her field of endeavor. The committee encourages applicants with significant scholarly contributions to knowledge.

Should you wish to nominate a prospective candidate for an honorary degree, you must submit a written nomination letter and attach appropriate supporting documentation, including a resume or curriculum vitae of the candidate. There is no Deadline for submission. Address your correspondence to the Chair of the Honorary Degrees & Awards Committee, care of the Faculty Senate Office, PC 225.

Please forward your nomination to the Faculty Senate Office, PC 225, University Park Campus.

How does that NOT exclude her? What field is she even in that she has earned distinction other than dying?

And the university ideals I highly doubt focus on "If you cant earn it the right way just go to your mom and the news media". So how does any of that apply to her at all?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: se7en

How does that NOT exclude her? What field is she even in that she has earned distinction other than dying?

And the university ideals I highly doubt focus on "If you cant earn it the right way just go to your mom and the news media". So how does any of that apply to her at all?

"Fame receives less consideration than the intrinsic worth of an individual who has achieved extraordinary distinction in his or her field of endeavor" does not mean that extraordinary distinction in your field of endeavor is a requirement, it means that extraordinary distinction in your field of endeavor is given more consideration than fame in awarding honorary degrees. That line wouldn't outright exclude anyone.

As for "ideals and purposes for which the University stands," I would hope that hard work in the face of adversity is one of those ideals.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: jonessoda
No degree is the way to go. She didn't complete the requirements. Giving her a degree just because she's dying, without her having done the required work, would cheapen the degrees of others, IMO.
I agree with you, and I fail to see it any other way. We all are dying afterall.