This was not how I was planning on spending the early morning.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Holy cow :thumbsup: to you.

What a horrible way to attempt to off one's self... isn't the idea that one has suffered enough already and wants to end it? If I took myself out it would be with a bullet to the head for that reason, not the most painful way imaginable :Q Any word on his condition?

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
Good work!

The requested URL /users/AlienCraft/car_b_que_after_car..jpg was not found on this server.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: CKent
Holy cow :thumbsup: to you.

What a horrible way to attempt to off one's self... isn't the idea that one has suffered enough already and wants to end it? If I took myself out it would be with a bullet to the head for that reason, not the most painful way imaginable :Q Any word on his condition?

No argument from me on that.
The detective at The Rancho Cordova Police Dept, said it was still classified as a "suicide attempt", meaning he was still alive. He didn't have any other info, at least not for me.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: mulletgut
Take a big WD there AC, great work mate.
As a professional firefighter, I know what you did was well worth this applause, I also know that it isn't something just anybody would do, otherwise other cars wouldn't have driven past.
Sadly, 'ol mate's chances of survival, based on what you've said are extemely slim at best. Pulmonary Oedema will probably see him off. :(
It sounds as if you're coping okay with the trauma (and it is trauma), and I sincerely hope you continue to do so. You're a good egg.
That coming from a pro means a great deal to me.
Self immolation is something I remember the monks doing during the VietNam protests.
Seeing stunt guys at Universal do it is nothing like what I saw. That screaming was f'n chilling. It made me run like I haven't run since high school.
You know, I started tripping on details today as I was driving.
When we were smothering him on the ground, the flames kept re-igniting, and I remember saying "it's not going out, it's not going out..." as I worked him with that towel. I remember feeling the heat grow on my back as the flames grew, looking back and saying "we'ld better move soon".... and overruling some other guy saying don't move him... look guy, there's no broken bones here, at least not while the burning car isn't flying apart .....It probably was 30 seconds later that the gas can went up, followed by the fireworks ( stars from a skyrocket, and some bangs, either m-80's or rockets). :Q

I started replaying the event and second guessing and doing the "what if, only if, shoulda, coulda" thing and I realized that mindset was a short ride to the therapist's couch.

He could have chosen a variety of methods that would work without fail, as well as some that could have involved others far more dangerously than happened, so in balance, I'ld say it was as "good" as that event could be. We, the public involved, weren't injured, he's somewhere where he'll be treated, at least for the immediate concerns, and Enterprise won't be doing my next colonoscopy exam.

I then started thinking how much worse it might be, say he survives, tracks me down, and sues me for interfering with his First Amendment Right to Self Expression. :shocked: :frown: :evil: :roll: :laugh: :cookie:

Talking about it like this has been good therapy for me, and I really really appreciate all the nice things said.
I wanted to command The Elements and manifest water, but it wasn't happening that way, so I did the best I could with what I had. Those old Boy Scout / Red Cross First Aid training drills came through after 35 years.

4 Liters of water , 2 large Towels, and 2 ABC fire extinguishers have been added to my Emergency Pack in the trunk. I'll be better prepared the next time this occurs.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Reminds me of that commercial (some insurance company, I think?) where people are doing good deeds with others watching, only to have the person watching do a good deed, and so on.

You have inspired many people here and a countless number of people on the highway.

Hopefully the guy makes it, but if not that doesn't make what you did any less heroic.

Excellent job AlienCraft. :thumbsup:

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: SearchMaster
AlienCraft for Elite Firefighter!

:laugh: seriously though, nice job OP. not many people would have stopped by to help and that's a problem with our society.

hope you burn heals quickly.

imported_elwood

Jun 6, 2004
Wow, you went through all that for a dumbass who was trying to commit suicide! I commend you for your efforts but it's truly sad that he wasn't successful in his suicide attempt.