This was not how I was planning on spending the early morning.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Though I like to think I'd be like you and try to help, I'm sad to say, you're a better man then I.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Actually, I was as scared as could be , but there was no way I wasn't going to try. I don't know where that came from; The Golden Rule, My new found Buddhist mind set, old skool Hippy Do-Gooder, or latent Boy Scout conditioning whatever you want to call it, when I needed it, it was there.
My arm is ok, just a blister about 4in long by 2 inches wide. I have no hair on the right arm either.

What was frustrating was that I had not brought my uber-soda mug, which i keep filled with water, so we had to wet the towels down from the sprinklers which just happened to be going at the time.
After a few more people showed up, we were draining water bottles like crazy. Even the cop sent me to his trunk to get the K9's water.

This just illustrates why everyone needs to have a fire extinguisher in their car.

Me? I'm now carrying 2 and 2 x 2 liters of water now.
With the number of miles I drive, it's probable that I may need to do this again, but at least I won't have that "limp dick" feeling , fighting fire with a towel.

And to those who say they may not have been able to do it, don't be so negative about your abilities.
Everyone here has better than average capabilities, imo. The difference is anticipating and planning beforehand.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
:thumbsup:
You deserve another beer too.
:beer:

It's a shame that more people aren't willing to help out. You should be proud of yourself, and it's nice knowing there are people like you in the world.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
When taking the pic of the towel, I noticed a definite odor. Can't say Gasoline for sure, but it aint right. I'm bagging it and taking it to RCPD tomorrow.
I'm not going to be using that towel anymore anyway.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: LoKe
Too small.

yeah, I suck at cell phone :camera:-age. Early Gen Motorola.Not spending any money on a new phone yet, tho.
I'll make a folder for it at My Album at T-Mobile and you can see them there.

franksta

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
Do you use paypal? I'd like to help pay for your new tire. PM me please.

Edit: Just read your signature. Will you take a personal check?

pmoa

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2001
holy crap man! At least there are still some good people in this world. Im sure you guys have seen videos of this woman getting beaten and you saw people just standing around and not even calling 911! OH the shame.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: franksta
Do you use paypal? I'd like to help pay for your new tire. PM me please.

Edit: Just read your signature. Will you take a personal check?

Wow!
It's ok, really. I was driving a rental due to my latest Focus Fiasco, and since I drive for the company in my car, I took all the insurance. So Enterprise's insurance carrier will be covering it.
I appreciate the sentiment, however.
Perhaps a donation to your local burn center would be a better use of any spare cash I might receive.
Thanks for the idea, though.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Nice.

911 in Sacto sucks. Busy both times I tried dialing. I don't know if its just from my cell phone or anywhere.

Both times it was a swerver on the freeway and it looked like he was drunk. I'd be on hold until the guy got off and basically got to his house.

Love those signs on the freeway saying to report drunk driving and call 911.

On a side note, I have emergency supplies in my car like blankets, candles, flares and stuff to start fires, but nothing to put out. Maybe its time to put an abc extinguisher in there.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
Solid man.

Was the guy totally engulfed? If so, he very well may get what he wished for in the end.

Sad.
Yes, he was a walking fireball. I'll not be forgetting that sight too soon.
Hair, face, chest, arms, legs (wearing those B-Ball type shorts, they were melted and dripping off of him and on the towel),
I'm know his lungs were toasted, he was screaming so much during the 90 seconds or so it took to extinguish it all.
He was laying there while we worked on him saying "Just let me die..." over and over,
And I said at some point " dude, you're gonna wish you were if you make it past tomorrow..."

I took the towel in to RCPD for their investigation and the Detective who took it called it, "the suicide attempt".
So far, afaik, it's still just an attempt.

If he had really meant to die, the river was just another couple of hundred feet down the road. If he had wanted to, he could have driven down where he could have been seen, but not been accessible.
Of course, I'm the insane one by analyzing someone's irrational actions in a rational manner after the fact.

Yes indeed, sad, very sad.

mulletgut

Sep 3, 2002
Take a big WD there AC, great work mate.
As a professional firefighter, I know what you did was well worth this applause, I also know that it isn't something just anybody would do, otherwise other cars wouldn't have driven past.
Sadly, 'ol mate's chances of survival, based on what you've said are extemely slim at best. Pulmonary Oedema will probably see him off. :(
It sounds as if you're coping okay with the trauma (and it is trauma), and I sincerely hope you continue to do so. You're a good egg.