'This Was a Good Thing to Do' -- Iraqis' greatest fear is that America will cut and run

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
linkage

NAJAF, Iraq--Toppling a statue is easier than killing a dictator. Not the man himself, but the idea of his despotism, the legacy of his torture and the fear of his return. This kind of reconstruction takes time.

Just ask the 20-some members of the new city council in this holy city of Shiite Islam. Their chairs are arrayed in a circle to hear from Paul Wolfowitz, the deputy secretary of defense, who invites questions. The first man to speak wants to know two things: There's a U.S. election next year, and if President Bush loses will the Americans go home? And second, are you secretly holding Saddam Hussein in custody as a way to intimidate us with the fear that he might return? Mr. Wolfowitz replies no to both points, with more conviction on the second than the first. But the question reveals the complicated anxiety of the post-Saddam Iraqi mind.

Most reporting from Iraq suggests that the U.S. "occupation" isn't welcome here. But following Mr. Wolfowitz around the country I found precisely the opposite to be true. The majority aren't worried that we'll stay too long; they're petrified we'll leave too soon. Traumatized by 35 years of Saddam's terror, they fear we'll lose our nerve as casualties mount and leave them once again to the Baath Party's merciless revenge.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison
linkage

NAJAF, Iraq--Toppling a statue is easier than killing a dictator. Not the man himself, but the idea of his despotism, the legacy of his torture and the fear of his return. This kind of reconstruction takes time.

Just ask the 20-some members of the new city council in this holy city of Shiite Islam. Their chairs are arrayed in a circle to hear from Paul Wolfowitz, the deputy secretary of defense, who invites questions. The first man to speak wants to know two things: There's a U.S. election next year, and if President Bush loses will the Americans go home? And second, are you secretly holding Saddam Hussein in custody as a way to intimidate us with the fear that he might return? Mr. Wolfowitz replies no to both points, with more conviction on the second than the first. But the question reveals the complicated anxiety of the post-Saddam Iraqi mind.

Most reporting from Iraq suggests that the U.S. "occupation" isn't welcome here. But following Mr. Wolfowitz around the country I found precisely the opposite to be true. The majority aren't worried that we'll stay too long; they're petrified we'll leave too soon. Traumatized by 35 years of Saddam's terror, they fear we'll lose our nerve as casualties mount and leave them once again to the Baath Party's merciless revenge.

you and your posts seem to be the diametrical opposite of phillyTIM, tnitsuj, CaptnKirk, and the frenchie GuyDebordJudoClub. I'm sorry you feel insulted by comparison.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
First question:

Who appointed and approved of the new council? Were they perhaps pro-American by design? We do not know the bias here.

In any case, I do believe a majority of the Iraqis would not want us to go- yet- even if they hated us. Whatever order existed was destroyed by the war, and leaving now would put the country in worse shape than it ever was. They hated Saddam, they MAY hate us, but they fear anarchy more. I don't think this article reflects that fact, well at least what you have posted, since the link goes to a subscription page.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
It should be known that the source of this editorial (it isn't an article) is opinionjournal.com which is an overtly rightwing source.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
First question:

Who appointed and approved of the new council? Were they perhaps pro-American by design? We do not know the bias here.

In any case, I do believe a majority of the Iraqis would not want us to go- yet- even if they hated us. Whatever order existed was destroyed by the war, and leaving now would put the country in worse shape than it ever was. They hated Saddam, they MAY hate us, but they fear anarchy more. I don't think this article reflects that fact, well at least what you have posted, since the link goes to a subscription page.

They may hate us, but reality shows that a quiet majority doesn't

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari
First question:

How do you arrive at this conclusion? For my part, I am uncertain what the majority feels. What is the source of your information?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
First question:

How do you arrive at this conclusion? For my part, I am uncertain what the majority feels. What is the source of your information?

despite the bombardment of negative news since the war began, there have been some positives. I remember an ABC News story on the quiet majority of iraqis supporting the US in Iraq. Sorry, I don't have a link to that video story. And it was in June.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison
linkage

you and your posts seem to be the diametrical opposite of phillyTIM, tnitsuj, CaptnKirk, and the frenchie GuyDebordJudoClub. I'm sorry you feel insulted by comparison.

I have a made a point to only post the post the positive news, since there are few here that only want to see the negative. Call it balance.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
If our men continue to be killed at this alarming rate we will cut bait by next November. Even a total moron will be able to tell they don't want us there dispite the welcome mat they gave us shortly after taking Bagdad.

If all goes well these killings will stop and Bush will win in a landslide. Conflicting stories come from the ground there...Some stories say it's just "dead enders" some say it's a swelling resistance... To be continued. Just strange how the reports can be so different.

War is hell and 99.9% of time a bad idea unless you are attacked.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
First question:

Speaking for the US would probably be hazardous to your health even if it is what you feel

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
First question:

yes, whenever you dont have proof of your claims, it's always that "quiet majority" that is around lurking. but who knows what their opinion is because they are so QUIET. this "quiet majority" also has the unique feature of taking any opinion of your choosing because they are so QUIET about their opinions. they are the lifesaver of any lackluster argument.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Just follow opinion polls that are being taken in Iraq, the overwhelming majority want us there.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Just follow opinion polls that are being taken in Iraq, the overwhelming majority want us there.

As opposed to us leaving right now and letting the place fall to anarchy, I'm sure. Most want us out ASAP. I seriously doubt most want us there for years, which is how long we have to stay there in order to do this right.