This setup any good for recording/streaming?

BoomSockNick

Jul 22, 2018
Hello all. I just put together a basic gaming setup so I can get back to my glory days of recording and streaming on YouTube. I'd like to be able to record games like Overwatch, Fortnite, and the new Battlefield on good settings and the usual 1080p/60fps.

I'm pretty happy with what I have, but there's a lot of stuff about compatibility and parts limiting other parts that I don't understand, so I appreciate anyone who'd give it a look.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($295.70 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $823.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-22 19:08 EDT-0400

[open to suggestions for a fan/cooler]
[waiting for the B450 for the motherboard]

I'm going to use the SSD to record the videos onto and have everything else on the HDD (if that's stupid because some recording softwares aren't demanding, let me know). My budget could go up to around $1,000. Thanks for any feedback!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
A couple of things:

The SSD you picked is rather dated, small, and slow compared to the newest 3D NAND. You might want to look at a drive like the 500GB Crucial MX500. It sells for under $100.

Second thing, the Focus gold PSU is also a dated design, you might want to look at the Focus Plus gold PSUs, which can be had in the same price range. It's there newer design, and comes with a 10 year warranty.

Finally, you want to make sure the RAM you selected is compatible with the motherboard you are using:

https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator

BoomSockNick

Jul 22, 2018
A couple of things:

The SSD you picked is rather dated, small, and slow compared to the newest 3D NAND. You might want to look at a drive like the 500GB Crucial MX500. It sells for under $100.

Second thing, the Focus gold PSU is also a dated design, you might want to look at the Focus Plus gold PSUs, which can be had in the same price range. It's there newer design, and comes with a 10 year warranty.

Finally, you want to make sure the RAM you selected is compatible with the motherboard you are using:

https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator

Thanks so much for all the information! The RAM I found isn't compatible with the motherboard I want, apparently. Do you have any good ones I should try?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I'm going to use the SSD to record the videos onto and have everything else on the HDD (if that's stupid because some recording softwares aren't demanding, let me know).
This is only needed for raw recording like with FRAPS just dumping the GPU memory to disk.
If you are going to use nvidia shadowplay or even the CPU to record in x264 then you can use a simple HDD just not the one the game is on(not even a different partition) because this will cause slow downs when the game needs to read in new textures or whatnot while the recording get's written to a different part of the disk.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, best to have:

1) SSD drive for OS
2) faster RPM HDD for game storage / to run games off of
3) separate recording HDD, can be 7200RPM, strictly to be the target drive for recording gameplay. NOTHING else. (Edit: Seagate Barracuda Pro drives are 7200RPM, and have up to 250MB/sec transfer rates.)

BoomSockNick

Jul 22, 2018
Yes, best to have:

1) SSD drive for OS
2) faster RPM HDD for game storage / to run games off of
3) separate recording HDD, can be 7200RPM, strictly to be the target drive for recording gameplay. NOTHING else. (Edit: Seagate Barracuda Pro drives are 7200RPM, and have up to 250MB/sec transfer rates.)

So three drives? I'm a little confused, I was under the impression that since SSDs are faster than HDDs, it would be better to use for recording games onto, and it'd be fine to keep everything else on an HHD.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Whether SSD or HDD for the Recording Drive, you don't want anything else using it.

And since the OS belongs on the SSD, then use it for the OS, and get another, like a 4TB, for recording.

You'll thank me later.

Reactions: BoomSockNick

BoomSockNick

Jul 22, 2018
Whether SSD or HDD for the Recording Drive, you don't want anything else using it.

And since the OS belongs on the SSD, then use it for the OS, and get another, like a 4TB, for recording.

You'll thank me later.

You'll thank me later.

So it'd work well to have the OS, the games, my pictures and stuff, and the recording software all on the SSD and then record everything onto the HDD? Did I get that right?