"THIS REALLY IS A VERY SERIOUS WIN98SE question, registry errors on start up, PLEASE for anybody"

340mopar

Oct 11, 1999
Getting registry errors on 3 diff. puters on start up, then windows will use the day earlier .cab file in sysbackup folder, leaving the bad rhbad.cab file. I have changed the scanreg.ini to back up 15 so thats
not a problem. This happens once every 3-4 days on 3 networked puters. Started on about the 27th Jan.
No virus found, cleaned up with reg cleaner, can't seem to stop it. only common denominator I can think of is Yahoo mess., which at the same time added IE yahoo search bar and Yahoo mail (all 3) in add and remove programs, which has been removed from all but 1 machine. Am I the only one with this prob?????
Thanks Geo

340mopar

Oct 11, 1999
Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry.
Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you now.

AKA

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Bad memory can cause that.. but for it to be happening on 3 different computers is a stretch. Do all computers have same hardware configuration?

340mopar

Oct 11, 1999
All 3 diff., ms turbo, bx6r2, and a gateway profile.
I have yet to try Norton's Reg tracker
Have it, just not running it yet. But I will
CIH or something???????????
It did start around the 26th-27th, and wouldn't
Norton catch that?
These putors have been running for years.
Note: I have also noticed since using Nortons live update,
(which is not running all the time, I start myself), has
added Script blocking, which is running in mscongfig.
????????????????????????????????????????
Thanks Geo.

Dreadogg

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2001
sounds like that fatal overclocking error when you just cant reach that special speed !

AKA

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Does it happen on every cold boot, but doesnt on restarts or warm boots?

Reason I ask is a client had a problem with 2 of their computers that would give same error msg. The computer would restart and work fine. If you restart the computer it would come up fine. But if you powered computer completely down then back on you would get that error msg everytime.

I swapped out the memory and it fixed the problem. Wasnt convinced so I put original memory back in.. same problem came back. Replaced it with new memory.. problem went away. This was on both computers same identical types of memory. Just a coincidence they started happening at same time.. although one might have started earlier but that computer was rarely ever shutdown so couldnt say for it.

Have you always been running the reg cleaner on these computers even before this problem started? If so that might be your problem.

340mopar

Oct 11, 1999
sounds like that fatal overclocking error when you just cant reach that special speed !
Yes Dreadogg, I agree but only 1 overclocked and been since Jan 99.

Does it happen on every cold boot, but doesnt on restarts or warm boots?
Yes, cold I've notice, pretty sure of that.......(there always on).
I would have to agree on the memory thing.
2 machines using Crucial bought at same time, other BX6r2
using mushkin, so I somewhat ruled that out.
And this happened to all 3 within 2-3 day time period.

Have you always been running the reg cleaner on these computers even before this problem started? If so that might be your
No, Just on 1, but it's a very good program for (MANUAL)
reg cleaning and have no prob. with that. Used for long time
on other machines.
Geo