This ones for you JohnnyGuru, and all you other support guys.

Locutus of Board

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 1999
I work in support.Where I work we have a web based interaction suite, and support over the web. The name of the company and my email have been edited to protect the not so innocent. :p
BTW-I don't work with end-users. They are supposed to be NT professionals.
Where you see "You say" that's me!

You say, winmsd
Stupid customer says, and where do I find winmsd?
You say, Go to start, run, type winmsd.
You say, Print all tabs to a file. Zip up the event logs and winmsd and send to support@mycompany.com
Stupid customer says, I get cannot find the file 'type'
You say, ?
Stupid customer says, never mind, I thought you meant "type winmsd"

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
...like when I say to someone &quot;Type FORMAT space C: space /S&quot; and they actually type in &quot;FORMAT SPACE C COLON SPACE SLASH S&quot;.

So help me God, I am not lying.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
...Or when you say &quot;OK, let's pull the 2100&quot; and before you can say &quot;Shut down your computer, power it off, THEN remove the 2100&quot; they've already reached inside their RUNNING computer, &amp; yanked out the PCI device...

Viper GTS

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
How about when you say right click on the desktop and they say hold on let me find a pen.

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
How about when they call for an RMA number and then when you are ready to give it to them they tell you to hold on so they can get a pen....

I'm like... &quot;Wait a minute! YOU called ME!&quot;

;)

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
johnnyGURU, I had a user last night type in the 'find' window ASTERISK DOT C A B

One of my most frequent:

me: Click once with the right mouse button on your connection icon, and choose 'properties' from the menu that pops up.

user: OK

me: Do you see the 'server types' tab at the top?

user: No, I just see Conection to... and my username and password.

me: No, the RIGHT mouse button.

user: OK...same thing

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I rule the world, all mouse buttons will come pre-labeled with an 'R' and an 'L'.

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
Heaven forbid they get their hands on accessibility options and change the mouse buttons Left and Right! DOH!

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Take it away from them. Anyone who doesn't know the difference between right and left really should be using a one-button Imac anyway.