This may seem silly: But is dual boot limited to Motherboard?

Bojax

Jan 24, 2001
Is dual booting strictly a software capability? or are there certain hardware restriction's? (mobo)

Barrak

Jan 8, 2001
Not sure what you are asking. Dual Boot is having more than one Operating System residing on the same pc. You get to choose which OS to run during the boot process, you dont have to make any hardware changes.

Does that answer you question?

ERJ

Oct 9, 1999
Yes, dual booting is strictly hardware, assuming that both operating systems support the hardware in your machine.

ERJ

damocles

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's a software thing. It simply means having the choice between one of two different operating systems at bootup

shathal

Golden Member
May 4, 2001
It's not limited by motherboards (or hardware in general) - if you'd find one such thing I'd be truly impressed.

What happens is this:

BIOS does it's POST & then check through a specific area (that being the MBR - or Master Boot Record) on the boot-devices (ergo: Floppy, CD-ROM, HDD). It just checks for the existance of an equivalent "You can boot here!".

Then it reads this info & that's where things get passed on to OS / Boot-managers.

Your HDD is for these purposes a purely logical construct. The only problem in having more than 2 OS's is that judggling them gets a little awkward and you tend to need a good boot-manager.

But as such, you don't have to worry about your mobo stopping you from going multi-boot.

Why are you concerened? Maybe if you tell us we can try to help you out :D.

Hope this helps :).

Bojax

Jan 24, 2001
Thank's. i know what dual booting does, in fact i am doing on my system right now. i was just wondering if i would be able to do it on any system or not. If i try it on an older system would i be limited because of the motherboard i'm using.
I guess ERJ answered my question. But i think you meant to say strictly software. Right?

Bojax

Jan 24, 2001
Thank's Shathal. that answered my question. Yhe only reason i ask is because i just did a dual boot for the first time two day's ago. I was explaining to a friend of mine about it. and he asked me this question. I figured the answer was software but i wasn't %100 sure.