This made me laugh...

Nalyk

May 21, 2009
I mean isn't self awareness something apple prides itself on? You're right though about considering the source. But next thought after that was...'I mean...really though?'

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
That isn't an article.

That's an Apple / iPhone / AirPods ad.
How many other Smart Phone vendors also went completely to Wireless Headphones? I haven't shopped for phone recently, but off hand I would swear that most vendors still have the 3.5mm jack on most or all models.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Most have the headphone jack (outside of Apple).

My favorite nonsense quote from that "article" was:
It wasn’t that they necessarily sounded better than other true wireless earphones. Rather, Apple prioritized convenience over fidelity with AirPods
:rolleyes:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Most have the headphone jack (outside of Apple).

My favorite nonsense quote from that "article" was:
:rolleyes:
Weren't the AirBuds easy to fall out and lose? I've heard that the reason Apple sold so many of those thing was due to that reason. And they weren't cheap either.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Weren't the AirBuds easy to fall out and lose? I've heard that the reason Apple sold so many of those thing was due to that reason. And they weren't cheap either.

I've never used them (Galaxy S9 owners), but they look like they could lost easily. And with the AirPods at $160, that would suck.

Nalyk

May 21, 2009
Wow. That's a lot of money to drop for a pair of earbuds. Do they at least sound decent?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Wow. That's a lot of money to drop for a pair of earbuds. Do they at least sound decent?

I'd have to let owners chime in on that. However, the article stated "Apple prioritized convenience over fidelity with AirPods", so I doubt they would rival brands whose #1 focus is audio quality. That said, I'm not a fan of in-the-ear headphones period. I even used small on-the-ear headphones when I used to go running / work out.

Reactions: WelshBloke

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
They sound ok for bluetooth earbuds. They sound like crap compared to something like a Sennheiser Momentum 2 on-ears which cost a similar amount.

I only mention those as those are what I was using last time someone tried to convince me to use wireless earbuds. I dislike having another thing to charge and I dislike having something stuffed into my ear for extended periods.

People usually stop trying to convince me to change when I let them listen to them.

Whether having corded headphones is an inconvenience to you though only you can say. For me the convenience of not having to charge them, the comfort, plus the sound quality trumps everything else.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'd have to let owners chime in on that. However, the article stated "Apple prioritized convenience over fidelity with AirPods", so I doubt they would rival brands whose #1 focus is audio quality. That said, I'm not a fan of in-the-ear headphones period. I even used small on-the-ear headphones when I used to go running / work out.
On-ear crowd represent!!!

Reactions: UsandThem

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I've never used them (Galaxy S9 owners), but they look like they could lost easily. And with the AirPods at $160, that would suck.
I've had mine basically since launch and I've never lost them. They are either in my ears, in the charging case in my pocket, or on my counter next to my keys/wallet/etc. They tend to stay in my ears well, but they since they aren't adjustable at all, that can't be said for everyone. Yes, they're expensive but they were price competitive when they launched (still are to a certain degree), and offer solid benefits if you're using them with iDevices.

If one bud, or the case ever get lost or damaged, you can get the individual components at an Apple Store, I think each part runs $50 or $60 if you have to replace them piecemeal which is still expensive, but better than having to throw down another $160 just because you lost one bud.

Nalyk

May 21, 2009
I've had mine basically since launch and I've never lost them. They are either in my ears, in the charging case in my pocket, or on my counter next to my keys/wallet/etc. They tend to stay in my ears well, but they since they aren't adjustable at all, that can't be said for everyone. Yes, they're expensive but they were price competitive when they launched (still are to a certain degree), and offer solid benefits if you're using them with iDevices.

If one bud, or the case ever get lost or damaged, you can get the individual components at an Apple Store, I think each part runs $50 or $60 if you have to replace them piecemeal which is still expensive, but better than having to throw down another $160 just because you lost one bud.

Have you down any comparisons to other wireless ear buds by any chance?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
If Apple had support for AptX, their Bluetooth audio options would be better; stupid Apple NIH syndrome.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
No. The AirPods work perfectly for my needs, and if I want better audio quality I can get that at home via other over-the-ear headphones or speakers.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have. I have tried the ibuds, I own the True Evo wireless buds and recently got the galaxy buds with my S10+. The ibuds are, by far, the worse sounding of the lot. They are also the easiest to drop of the 3. Overall, I think the evos have the best bass and the galaxy buds the best mid/highs but bass is also present. The ibuds sound, well, like they have for several years, meh. Overall I don;t use any of em as I am a tried and true MDR-V6/Fiio amp wired user and always will be. BT just sucks no matter what kind.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Eeesh. What a horrible article.
It's written with that boastful, proud ignorance I absolutely despise in someone pretending to write tech articles. "I know virtually NOTHING about what's going on with tech, so I'll just follow Apple like a sheep and boast about things I have no idea about."

It's been gone over a million times, but there's nothing special about AirPods- nothing about them required the removal of the headphone jack, Apple users gained NOTHING losing the jack and Apple's long since been exposed as lying about every single reason for it. The sheer ignorance overflowing that article- acting like Apple's every misstep was some sort of brave new move: "they 'solved it! by offering wireless charging!" Yeah, gee, that everyone else had years prior.

It’s not unlike the notch. When the iPhone X came out, people all around the net pointed and laughed at Apple’s brazen design, but barely a year later, it’s hard to find an Android phone that doesn’t have one...

What a hack. First off- Apple wasn't even first with the notch. It was a terrible design compromise. He doesn't even seem to realize everyone else is moving FOWARD from stupid notches except for the laziest copy-cat makes on the Android side. (And by the way, many of us are STILL pointing and laughing. This isn't something you get to claim as a positive.)

Samsung just announced the A80. Now see, THIS is actually innovation:
02_GalaxyA80_camera_Ghost_White.gif

Xiaomi has the Mi Mix 3 which has a pretty innovative slider, there are pop-up designs and even Samsung's current phones have smaller holes instead of a full-on dumb notch.

Plus we're on the cusp of folding screens and a host of designs much more forward-thinking. Apple is the one playing catch up- design wise in the smartphone arena they are positively LAZY. That's all there is to it. Billions in the bank and even the Chinese companies run circles around them for more innovative designs. Spend some of that money on some ACTUAL innovation Apple, then get back to us.

And this final bit of pure ignorant-yet-arrogant drek:

And when it arrives, Apple will make it sound like it’s a brand-new feature. Samsung and Huawei fans will laugh and remind everyone that they’ve had the same feature on their phones for months. But...

There is no Buuuuuuutttt.... after that statement! That's just pure shilling nonsense- people will laugh and remind that they've had the same (and better) features for months because they HAVE, and because Apple's playing catch-up most of the time. That's not some "oh they're sooo brave" thing, that's just a result of their laziness and knowing they can keep recycling old designs and their hardcore fans will lap it up.

Guy is just writing nonsense summed up as: "Every time Apple is late to the table, it's awesome and all part of a master plan that's sooo brave..! Even when they aren't innovating, they really are...! Missing features are better than ACTUAL features..." on and on.

What a load of rubbish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oyeve

Nalyk

May 21, 2009
I really like the way the camera is implemented in the A70. It looks sexy as hell. I'll be curious to see how fragile it is as time passes and users, are well users.

I'm sure there are a plethora of reasons to use apple products, but I remain unconvinced, and happy with android and the added functionality I have with it, because I, like probably many other users here build their own PC's.

Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave....

I mean, at least when he was at the helm it seemed like they were actively innovating and driving forward with new interesting products.