This just in : Lack of sleep creates fat kids...

evilsaint

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2006
MSN Link

Lumeng said there are three likely reasons why sleep might affect weight. First, if children don't get enough sleep at night, they'll be less likely to run around and get exercise during the day. Second, when kids are tired, they're more irritable and may reach for junk food to help regulate their mood. And, finally, what Lumeng called a "hot area for future research" is the possible connection between sleep and fat metabolism. She said there have been studies done with adults that have shown that a lack of sleep may disrupt the secretion of hormones involved in appetite and metabolism, such as leptin and insulin.

The new study included 785 children who were in third grade at the start of the trial.

/facepalm ... You've got to be kidding me? Who pays for people to do this useless kind of research? Read through the article, just skim it if you don't have time, and count up the redundancies and/or "links that the study have found" that have hardly any, if at all, correlation whatsoever to any basis in fact.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Hmmm... I got off lucky then. I wasn't/am not obese and barely got enough sleep (~7 hours) during highschool.

evilsaint

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Imp
Hmmm... I got off lucky then. I wasn't/am not obese and barely got enough sleep (~7 hours) during highschool.

This is mainly in younger kids, but meh... Started reading the article and thought the same thing - how the hell wasn't I 300lbs? :laugh:

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
I don't see why this can't be a contributing factor.

I agree - I think sleep (and rest) is horribly undervalued in America.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: evilsaint
Originally posted by: Imp

This is mainly in younger kids, but meh... Started reading the article and thought the same thing - how the hell wasn't I 300lbs? :laugh:

Oh... little kids. Well, then I was pretty chubby as a kid. "Shed" some bounds during junior high. Still wasn't obese... maybe it was the 12 hour sleep days on weekends and holidays.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Not to mention those video games. Does the main character ever sleep in most popular video games? NO! Obviously kids are trying to emulate this behavior, and then they end up fat, stupid and violent..:(

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
here's a thought. too much chocolate and mountain dew results in lack of sleep and fatness

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
That would explain all the porkers working 18 hour shifts in all those third world countries. *snicker*

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
MSN Link

Lumeng said there are three likely reasons why sleep might affect weight. First, if children don't get enough sleep at night, they'll be less likely to run around and get exercise during the day. Second, when kids are tired, they're more irritable and may reach for junk food to help regulate their mood. And, finally, what Lumeng called a "hot area for future research" is the possible connection between sleep and fat metabolism. She said there have been studies done with adults that have shown that a lack of sleep may disrupt the secretion of hormones involved in appetite and metabolism, such as leptin and insulin.

The new study included 785 children who were in third grade at the start of the trial.

/facepalm ... You've got to be kidding me? Who pays for people to do this useless kind of research? Read through the article, just skim it if you don't have time, and count up the redundancies and/or "links that the study have found" that have hardly any, if at all, correlation whatsoever to any basis in fact.

Why exactly would you consider the study to be useless?

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Whisper
MSN Link

Why exactly would you consider the study to be useless?

I don't think the OP gets enough sleep.