This journalist used to like McCain.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Yep, McCain is losing a lot of independents with his lying and throwing red meat to the GOP base.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Maybe this is why Rove warned that McCain went too far. The outright lies he put out about Obama have backfired tremendously, with nearly 100% of the free media coverage condemning the ads and condemning him.

I say good riddens. It's about time America figured out that the "honorable" John McCain no longer exists.

By Richard Cohen

Following his loss to George W. Bush in the 2000 South Carolina primary, John McCain did something extraordinary: He confessed to lying about how he felt about the Confederate battle flag, which he actually abhorred. "I broke my promise to always tell the truth," McCain said. Now he has broken that promise so completely that the John McCain of old is unrecognizable. He has become the sort of politician he once despised.

The precise moment of McCain's abasement came, would you believe, not at some news conference or on one of the Sunday shows but on "The View," the daytime TV show created by Barbara Walters. Last week, one of the co-hosts, Joy Behar, took McCain to task for some of the ads his campaign has been running. One deliberately mischaracterized what Barack Obama had said about putting lipstick on a pig -- an Americanism that McCain himself has used. The other asserted that Obama supported teaching sex education to kindergarteners.

"We know that those two ads are untrue," Behar said. "They are lies."

Freeze. Close in on McCain. This was the moment. He has largely been avoiding the press. The Straight Talk Express is now just a brand, an ad slogan like "Home Cooking" or "We Will Not Be Undersold." Until then, it was possible for McCain to say that he had not really known about the ads, that the formulation "I approve this message" was just boilerplate. But he didn't.

"Actually, they are not lies," he said.

Actually, they are.

McCain has turned ugly. His dishonesty would be unacceptable in any politician, but McCain has always set his own bar higher than most. He has contempt for most of his colleagues for that very reason: They lie. He tells the truth. He internalizes the code of the McCains -- his grandfather, his father: both admirals of the shining sea. He serves his country differently, that's all -- but just as honorably. No more, though.

I am one of the journalists accused over the years of being in the tank for McCain. Guilty. Those doing the accusing usually attributed my feelings to McCain being accessible. This is the journalist-as-puppy school of thought: Give us a treat, and we will leap into a politician's lap.

Not so. What impressed me most about McCain was the effect he had on his audiences, particularly young people. When he talked about service to a cause greater than oneself, he struck a chord. He expressed his message in words, but he packaged it in the McCain story -- that man, beaten to a pulp, who chose honor over freedom. This had nothing to do with access. It had to do with integrity.

McCain has soiled all that. His opportunistic and irresponsible choice of Sarah Palin as his political heir -- the person in whose hands he would leave the country -- is a form of personal treason, a betrayal of all he once stood for. Palin, no matter what her other attributes, is shockingly unprepared to become president. McCain knows that. He means to win, which is all right; he means to win at all costs, which is not.

At a forum last week at Columbia University, McCain said, "But right now we have to restore trust and confidence in government." This was always the promise of John McCain, the single best reason to vote for him. America has been cheated on too many times -- the lies of Vietnam and Watergate and Iraq. So many lies. Who believes that in Afghanistan last month, only five civilians were killed by the American military in an airstrike, instead of the approximately 90 claimed by the Afghan government? Not me. I first gave up on the military during Vietnam and then again when it covered up the death of Pat Tillman, the Army Ranger and former NFL player who was killed in 2004 by friendly fire.

McCain was going to fix all that. He was going to look the American people in the eyes and say, not me. I will not lie to you. I am John McCain, son and grandson of admirals. I tell the truth.

But Joy Behar knew better. And so McCain lied about his lying and maybe thinks that if he wins the election, he can -- as he did in South Carolina -- renounce who he was and what he did and resume his old persona. It won't work. Karl Marx got one thing right -- what he said about history repeating itself. Once is tragedy, a second time is farce. John McCain is both.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Whatever.

Everyone who claims they loved the "old John McCain" but doesn't like the new one has nothing to do with perceived "lies" in campaign ads-- they loved the old John McCain because he was taking on GWB and his own party more often than not. Now that the "new John McCain" is tasked with defeating the Democrat's rising star, he is suddenly seen as less noble than the 2000 McCain.

In other words, the liberal media loved McCain when he rankled his own party. Now that he is rankling one of their own, he is now the enemy who must be stopped at all costs. And the news coverage of late show this to be the case...

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
Yep, McCain is losing a lot of independents with his lying and throwing red meat to the GOP base.

Oh yes, McCain is losing so many independents that he is still ahead of Obama (if ever so slightly) in the polls... :roll:

Obama could've had me with his acceptance speech at the DNC, but instead of speaking to the independents about how he planned to fix this country he spent half of his speech (the first half, I might add) doing nothing but lobbing grenades at Bush, McCain, and Republicans in general.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: senseamp

Maybe. I'd like to believe that the backlash against McCain's dishonesty spreads beyond Democrats (who weren't going to vote for him anyway), but I'm just not sure if that's the case yet. Cohen may just be an exception.

ohnoes

Oct 11, 2007
I don't understand... are blatant lies okay b/c they're against democrats? Good thing you're not a democrat, or else I'd say that you'rea pedophile who feasts on dead fetuses and it'd be okay.

ohnoes

Oct 11, 2007
Originally posted by: QED
Whatever.

Everyone who claims they loved the "old John McCain" but doesn't like the new one has nothing to do with perceived "lies" in campaign ads-- they loved the old John McCain because he was taking on GWB and his own party more often than not. Now that the "new John McCain" is tasked with defeating the Democrat's rising star, he is suddenly seen as less noble than the 2000 McCain.

In other words, the liberal media loved McCain when he rankled his own party. Now that he is rankling one of their own, he is now the enemy who must be stopped at all costs. And the news coverage of late show this to be the case...

actually, I get it now. When mccain was a real 'maverick' and actually stood against ridiculousness / deceit in campaigning, you didn't like him. But now that he's swung to the other side and embraced it, you're all for him. You sir are awesome, and a great person. Just don't have any children, or at least give them up for adoption so they don't take on your dumbass world views. Thanks.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
The same liberal richard cohen who penned a piece a couple months ago blasting Obama?

Oh, and I'm not sure why the OP thinks that a "journalist's" liking or not a candidate is important. There are very few in the "journalist" category that will not vote democrat so this isn't really new news.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
I admit I didn't like seeing Senator McCain embrace George W Bush, especially after witnessing the smear campaign here in South Carolina that ended his chance at the 2000 Republican nomination. I voted for Senator McCain in that primary, and would gladly have voted for him in the general election. I cut the Senator some slack on his support of the GOP nominee, because I thought he was doing what he felt was his duty to his Party, what he thought was the honorable thing to do. I was braced by his opposition to some of the excesses of this administration after September 11, even as I was disappointed by his support for the invasion of Iraq. I was still willing to give the Senator the benefit of the doubt, because again he appeared to be doing what he sincerely felt was right. Even his advocacy of the flawed immigration bill still looked like a misguided attempt to do the right thing.

Senator McCain lost me when he went into that Snake Pit in Lynchburg and embraced the "Agents of Intolerance" he rightly condemned six years before. This was a blatant abandonment of principle in pursuit of political advantage; a transparent, cynical move made pathetic by its utter failure to win the advantage he sought. The Senator sold his political soul in pursuit of the nomination.

There is nothing Senator McCain can now do to convince me anything he says or does in the presidential campaign is honest or honorable. He demonstrated in that moment that he will do anything in his quest for office.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

Kind of true for me. I thought much more highly of McCain before he became an apologist for GWB, apparently no longer bothered by domestic surveillance, indefinite holding of innocents without charge, rendition for offshored torture, etc.

Back then I might have voted for him. Now that it seems like he'll do anything to get elected, Obama is looking like the slightly lesser evil to me.

Here's another journalist who used to admire the old McCain:
Where has McCain's honor gone?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Good thing journalists are irrelevant nowadays and have been relegated to entertainment than providers of information.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
He demonstrated in that moment that he will do anything in his quest for office.

I think the 2000 campaign taught McCain how far the high ground will get you in an election.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Whatever.

I liked your first half better. I was somewhat inclined to the old McCain because he seemed independent, relatively speaking, from both parties and their bullsh*t. Now that he's shoveling it in vast spades he's no better than any other partisan politician.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Whatever.

Hey, whatever you have to tell yourself so voting your conscience doesn't make you nauseated.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Maybe this is why Rove warned that McCain went too far. The outright lies he put out about Obama have backfired tremendously, with nearly 100% of the free media coverage condemning the ads and condemning him.

I say good riddens. It's about time America figured out that the "honorable" John McCain no longer exists.

Yeah, except you're too much of a leftist loon to read the entire article where he says both have gone too far for the same reasons.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80
Good thing journalists are irrelevant nowadays and have been relegated to entertainment that providers of information.

a sad truth.

long live the pop-media.