This is why you are hated Christians / Catholics

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...bortion-for-9yearold-rape-victim-1640165.html

Brazil rocked by abortion for 9-year-old rape victim - Church excommunicates mother and doctors – but not accused rapist
Declaring that "life must always be protected", a senior Vatican cleric has defended the Catholic Church's decision to excommunicate the mother and doctors of a nine-year-old rape victim who had a life-saving abortion in Brazil.

Cardinal Giovanni Batista Re, who heads the Pontifical Commission for Latin America, told reporters that although the girl fell pregnant after apparently being abused by her stepfather, her twins had, "the right to live, and could not be eliminated".

In an interview with the Italian newspaper, La Stampa, the cardinal added: "It is a sad case but the real problem is that the twins conceived were two innocent persons. Life must always be protected."

Police believe the girl was sexually assaulted for years by her stepfather, possibly since she was six. That she was four months pregnant with twins emerged only after she was taken to hospital complaining of severe stomach pains.

The controversy represents a PR nightmare for the Vatican. The unnamed girl's mother and doctors were excommunicated for agreeing to Wednesday's emergency abortion yet the Church has not taken formal steps against the stepfather, who is in custody. Jose Cardoso Sobrinho, the conservative regional archbishop for Pernambuco where the girl was rushed to hospital, has said that the man would not be thrown out of the Church, because although he had allegedly committed "a heinous crime", the Church took the view that "the abortion, the elimination of an innocent life, was more serious".

The case has set off fierce debate in Brazil, where abortion is permitted only in cases of rape or a medical emergency. Brazil is one of the most populous Catholic countries, but conservative attitudes in rural areas are strongly at odds with the relatively progressive public view of abortion in major cities.

Even the President, Luiz Ignacio Lula da Silva, has waded into the row. "As a Christian and a Catholic, I deeply regret that a bishop of the Catholic Church has such a conservative attitude," he said "The doctors did what had to be done: save the life of a girl of nine years old. In this case, the medical profession was more right than the Church."

One of the doctors involved in the abortion, Rivaldo Albuquerque, has raised the prospect of public clashes at his local church, telling Globo, the nation's main TV network, that he would keep going to mass there, regardless of the archbishop's order. The young girl at the centre of the case escaped excommunication only because she is still a child in the eyes of Church authorities. The stepfather, who is 23, was arrested last week, apparently trying to escape to another region of the country. Police say he is also suspected of abusing the girl's handicapped 14-year-old sister. He is in protective custody, and if convicted faces up to 15 years in prison.

May not be the most recent news but I've only just seen it, absolutely moronic. I'm pro life and I think these people are morons.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
bashing millions of people based on their religion makes you no better than those "morons"

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I didn't say I was better than them.

Did you have to say it? Wouldn't you have to be at least above moron level to tell who is a moron and who is not assuming, of course, you can judge at all?

And wouldn't it be better to be above moron intelligence if you are?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
My comment is the following, when we come down to the argument between those who believe all abortion is the same as murder and those who believe in pro-choice.

In the pure sense, its a binary question, one position is absolutely right and the other is pure evil.

But what about those wavering right to lifers who believe in certain exceptions like rape, incest, and life of the mother. After all, where is the social profit when carrying the baby to full term can only result in the death of both the fetus and the mother with almost 99.9 % medical certainty?

God help ye wavering pro-lifers, because if you believe in exceptions, you are no better than a pro-choicer and will certainly go to hell when you die.

Only the pure can make it to heaven, the rational need not apply.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
I'm pro-choice but I understand and support the Catholic's pro-life stance more than I do the "pro-life-unless..." brigade.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
As has been stated, do not bash an entire religion for the actions of a couple of leaders or a few followers. While I also find the actions of the bishop and archbishop reprehensible, as well as the reactions of some of the followers; I do not hate them. A lot of them simply believe that they will be seen as righteous in their leaders and their deities eyes; some people simply need that affirmation to make some kind of sense of, or find peace in an illogical world.

Not that it would happen now that the bishop and archbishop are involved; I believe the stepfather should answer for his crimes. Chain gang work for the rest of his life; as well as therapy for the stepdaughter to help her have a chance at a life despite this travesty.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This post could represent hate speech. Where is the hatred coming from and who is the hatred aimed at?

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if a scientist does an evil act does that mean all scientists are bad? Einstein and other scientist made the first nuclear bomb, so all science must be hated as evil!

This sure does not make sense!

Some of the same rocket scientists created the buzz bombs for Hitler killing people by the thousands in England, and then went on to work on putting man on the moon in the space race with the Russians.

What is good and what is evil?

It depends how it is used . . . .

Last edited:

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
IF God is God then he'll sort out his stuff all by himself. IF God ain't god or not your god then what does it matter if you'd be excommunicated... All that matters is the being excommunicated from Earth. Those Human Rights we seek to apply to any and all sovereign nations are what matters. Our Muslim friends killing their people based on the bible of their Society seems appropriate. It is their 'constitution' of sorts.

If the Christians could they'd form all OUR laws based on the bible cuz they'd be compelled to by God via the preachers who tell them what God said. They'd probably stone Gays and pretty much mirror the Taliban sorta like in England under Mary and Lizzy and Henry too. But here we live by our Constitutional Bible and if those same Muslim or Christian friends come here they can practice their religion all they want but... subordinated to the Constitutional Bible.

I have this thing about where people are born and what rights accrue to them... It has to be based on the culture they were born into... An Iranian woman has a baby girl in Iran hops on a plane and lands in the USA and low and behold she has another right there at the corner of Broadway and Wall St... Identical twins but with totally different Rights...

We hate the Muslims being Muslim in their Muslim nation and Catholics trying to do the same.... Thank God, god or the spire atop the old Sears tower for the founder's wisdom to keep all that religion stuff out of our Societal Bible. Those other nations... guess we can kill their leaders and keep killing them until they conform to Our Western beliefs... Human Rights for all humans is nice but in say, Afghanistan, you'd have to kill everyone to be rid of their belief. Same with Iran and the rest... Do we have the right to do this? The UN says yup... maybe that 'Yup' fits the places that accept that and don't where they don't?

What would we say to those other nations who'd attempt to change our Constitution to fit their belief.... ? We'd call them Christians here... and that gives me a headache.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Human Rights for all humans is nice but in say, Afghanistan, you'd have to kill everyone to be rid of their belief. Same with Iran and the rest... Do we have the right to do this? The UN says yup... maybe that 'Yup' fits the places that accept that and don't where they don't?
You don't have to kill everyone but, you do have to do something almost as distasteful ie. destroy their culture. We did it with the Amerind.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Did you have to say it? Wouldn't you have to be at least above moron level to tell who is a moron and who is not assuming, of course, you can judge at all?

And wouldn't it be better to be above moron intelligence if you are?

Wow, very good point Moonbeam.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
bashing millions of people based on their religion makes you no better than those "morons"

Correction, billions, 2.1+ billions to be exact.

And yes, attacking the entire religion based on the action of a few is completely moronic.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So bashing the nazis in 1930s Germany would make you no better?

That's what Hal specifically said he had not intended. "I didn't say I was better than them." You seem to want to say that you are better than Nazis if you bash them and maybe even that he is better than Catholics by bashing them, no?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Correction, billions, 2.1+ billions to be exact.

And yes, attacking the entire religion based on the action of a few is completely moronic.

You don't think another inquisition couldn't whip them in line? Talk about a headache.