This is why Obama can’t make a deal with Republicans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
You are a conservative with a bad case of brain defect. You live a lie 24, 7. It's OK so long as you pay no attention to anything you think or think you know. You can't think and you don't know anything. Relax and look at the scenery.

I always take time to plant and smell the roses Moonie. I see no reason though that I or anyone else should have any faith or confidence in what Obama proposes, he's just lied too many times to be believed in. Ezra Klein may be trying to lay all the blame on Republicans, but they have very good reason to distrust this President and his administration.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I always take time to plant and smell the roses Moonie. I see no reason though that I or anyone else should have any faith or confidence in what Obama proposes, he's just lied too many times to be believed in. Ezra Klein may be trying to lay all the blame on Republicans, but they have very good reason to distrust this President and his administration.

What has he lied about to congressional republicans?

I'm also still waiting for you to refute the evidence Ezra used in his piece.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by monovillage

What has he lied about to congressional republicans?

I'm also still waiting for you to refute the evidence Ezra used in his piece.

He won't be able to give you any facts on Obama lying, all he can give you is Rush, Hannity, Levin et al Republican talking points that are pure lies.

This is awesome, looks like Mono and the rest of his ilk on here are coming unglued.

Obama is truly the Messiah we knew he would be.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Lol so something makes sense a few months ago but it doesn't now? Yeah that's not principled reasoning its deal making and it's being done at the American people's expense.

Sorry they American people see through it.

Let's say you come into my pawn shop to buy something, like a necklace, and in the process of negotiation I offer to give you a pair of earrings. That doesn't interest you and we make a different deal. We come to an agreement and complete the transaction.

Do you have a right the next day to come back, buy something else and insist that you want your earrings now?

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I see no reason though that I or anyone else should have any faith or confidence in what Obama proposes

Of course you don't. To see it would make you uncomfortable, so Conservative Talk shows you completely the opposite. That's what keeps you coming back for more.

You didn't think they were bad at this, did you?

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
This is why there was no deal with the Republicans;

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics/2013/February/Obama-Pushes-More-Taxes-in-Budget-Cuts-Deal/

Controversy over the so-called sequester cuts is about one thing: taxes. President Obama wants House Republicans to raise them, but GOP lawmakers say the president already got the tax increases during negotiations over the fiscal cliff.

Essentially Obama used the Sequester that he and his administration put in to play as blackmail for more taxes and the GOP said no, neither side would budge on that issue so there was no deal.

The House Republicans should be applauded here!

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yawn, some left wing hack writes an article about why his savior can't make a deal. Yeah, that's believable.

Bummer got his tax hikes, now it's time to cut spending. Stop whining about more tax increases, start figuring out how to stop spending. Simple, really.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Well, I gotta admit you make a sane point on the tax hike thingy. I agree we need spending cuts. Obama agrees we need spending cuts. He said so himself. What I don't agree with is the Repub leadership's agenda that aims to gut, not cut any and all programs that benefit the middle class and the poor. It's common knowledge that the Repub leadership's long term plan for social assistance programs is to totally get rid of them and/or privatize them to take away any say that the voting working class presently have over these programs. Once these programs are gone/privatized, the profiteers will have their way with them and the public will just have to grin and bear the scams these programs will turn into just the same as the public now have to put up with 'too big to fail" banksters and other corrupt business practices.

We need to keep these programs away from the profit takers. Instead, we need to fix them and keep them under the auspices of the Fed gov't as they provide an essential public service and we most definetly must keep them away from the folks that aim to raid these programs high and dry for huge short term gains, without minding at all what that will do to the middle class and the poor.

I don't have a goal of "gutting" social programs, but simply want to return some sanity to the budget. We can't continue this level of growth from an already high baseline. My favored approach would be to limit spending growth to a percentage point or two below the combined rate of inflation plus population growth. I don't have a preference on what area the drawdowns come from either, although it might have to be across the board just to avoid a death match struggle between the political parties.

IMHO that's both an achievable plan, and after 10 years or so and we might even have a bit of wiggle room for targeted increases.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Originally Posted by monovillage

He won't be able to give you any facts on Obama lying, all he can give you is Rush, Hannity, Levin et al Republican talking points that are pure lies.

This is awesome, looks like Mono and the rest of his ilk on here are coming unglued.

Obama is truly the Messiah we knew he would be.

I posted links with sources, if you're too stupid to read them there's nothing I can do about it.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
You are a conservative with a bad case of brain defect. You live a lie 24, 7. It's OK so long as you pay no attention to anything you think or think you know. You can't think and you don't know anything. Relax and look at the scenery.

So he's a liar for exposing a lie? Ya gotta love it.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
How about Obama promising to cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term?

He must think $85 Billion is more than half because he is kicking and screaming about the cut.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The simple fact is the GOP is NEVER EVER going to negotiate in good faith with Obama or any other non idealogically pure GOP person, for that matter. Hasn't happened since the teaparty arose. Boener is an extremely weak leader who gets conflicting messages from his troops and then blames the other side.

It's an extremely sad way to run a government, but that is what we are stuck with. The GOP is betting that they can get back in power before they cause the collapse of the United States, but frankly I think either result is fine with them. The South will rise again-being fulfilled in our times.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
The simple fact is the GOP is NEVER EVER going to negotiate in good faith with Obama or any other non idealogically pure GOP person, for that matter. Hasn't happened since the teaparty arose. Boener is an extremely weak leader who gets conflicting messages from his troops and then blames the other side.

It's an extremely sad way to run a government, but that is what we are stuck with. The GOP is betting that they can get back in power before they cause the collapse of the United States, but frankly I think either result is fine with them. The South will rise again-being fulfilled in our times.

I don't put up with the constant lies from anyone in my private life, not my wife or kids or grandkids or neighbors or friends. I don't put up with the constant lies from any business or service or local government employee, but you clowns seem to think that we have to accept what President Obama says at face value every time and pretend he isn't a lying piece of garbage.

That for some reason Republicans in the House and the Senate should expect this time, finally, he's going to keep his word.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
How about Obama promising to cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term?

He must think $85 Billion is more than half because he is kicking and screaming about the cut.

This is how you think inside your bubble. You are blind, seeing life through Fox News, you poor brainwashed automaton. Let me take you down to Strawberry Fields, forever......there's nothing to get hung about.....living is easy with mind free....

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't put up with the constant lies from anyone in my private life, not my wife or kids or grandkids or neighbors or friends. I don't put up with the constant lies from any business or service or local government employee, but you clowns seem to think that we have to accept what President Obama says at face value every time and pretend he isn't a lying piece of garbage.

That for some reason Republicans in the House and the Senate should expect this time, finally, he's going to keep his word.

You live every day with the lie that you don't hate yourself. What you mean is that you don't put up with truth. You tolerate none who don't have Stockholm Syndrome.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
This is how you think inside your bubble. You are blind, seeing life through Fox News, you poor brainwashed automaton. Let me take you down to Strawberry Fields, forever......there's nothing to get hung about.....living is easy with mind free....

You are right. Believing anything Obama says is living in a bubble.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
All of Congress should be fired when crap like this goes down. Rehire a new batch of politicians that is willing to work with each other.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Yawn, some left wing hack writes an article about why his savior can't make a deal. Yeah, that's believable.

Bummer got his tax hikes, now it's time to cut spending. Stop whining about more tax increases, start figuring out how to stop spending. Simple, really.

Who would you believe?

Here's the general chain of events as I recall,

Bama signs stimulus
Repubs win '10 elections
Bama signs two rounds of cuts in order to avoid shutdown and increase debt ceiling
Obama wins '12 elections
Bama makes tax cuts permanent and increases taxes on over 450k'ers

Now why can't we have both a spending and revenue increase of say 3 to 1 (3 cut for every 1 revenue)..... there are opportunities to further reduce the deficit by cutting entitlements and reforming tax loopholes. Those are the low hanging fruit that no one has the will for.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Who would you believe?

Here's the general chain of events as I recall,

Bama signs stimulus
Repubs win '10 elections
Bama signs two rounds of cuts in order to avoid shutdown and increase debt ceiling
Obama wins '12 elections
Bama makes tax cuts permanent and increases taxes on over 450k'ers

Now why can't we have both a spending and revenue increase of say 3 to 1 (3 cut for every 1 revenue)..... there are opportunities to further reduce the deficit by cutting entitlements and reforming tax loopholes. Those are the low hanging fruit that no one has the will for.

The GOP doesn't want the tax loopholes to be closed and have fought against it.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Let's say you come into my pawn shop to buy something, like a necklace, and in the process of negotiation I offer to give you a pair of earrings. That doesn't interest you and we make a different deal. We come to an agreement and complete the transaction.

Do you have a right the next day to come back, buy something else and insist that you want your earrings now?

Yes you absolutely do have the right, since it's part of ongoing negotiations with the same dealer at the same pawn shop for the same necklaces; necklaces being the long-term health of the federal gov't in this analogy.

Not particularly difficult to understand.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I can just imagine the level of demonizing you would be at if Hillary had won the Presidency. Obama has shown extreme patience in dealing with the idiotic and obstructionist practices that are the core of present GOP behavior. Your tunnel vision may make you deny this to your dying day but the vast majority of Americans both like Obama and find him honest. This "Obama always lying to us/moving the goalposts/etc." stuff is both childish sour grapes and patently false. But I don't expect you to ever realize that.