This is what companies will do if they can get away with not paying min. wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
A tech company finds out the hard way it is illegal to pay $1.21 an hour for work. Whistle blower alert.

---------------------------------

n-TECH-WORKERS-COMPUTERS-large570.jpg

This takes egregiously low wages to a whole new level.

A Silicon Valley company that digitizes images said Thursday that an "administrative error" led to it paying eight workers flown in from Bangalore, India just $1.21 an hour to work 120-hour weeks installing computers in the company's headquarters.

Electronics For Imaging paid the workers $40,000 in back wages and overtime and a $3,500 fine after the U.S. Department of Labor investigated the payroll violation based on an anonymous tip, a department official told The Huffington Post.

"These folks were not only not getting time-and-a-half when working extremely long hours, they weren't making the basic minimum wage," Michael Eastwood, assistant district director for the Labor Department's San Francisco division said.

In a statement, the company said it didn't realize it was illegal to pay workers temporarily in the United States the same wages they earn in their home countries. The $1.21 was equivalent to what the employees made in Indian rupees.

“We unintentionally overlooked laws that require even foreign employees to be paid based on local U.S. standards,” the company said in a statement.

Eastwood said the company also failed to keep documentation of the hours worked by the Indian employees. Though the workers were only owed $20,000 in back pay and overtime, regulators doubled that amount to $40,000 in the settlement to compensate for damages.

The company blamed an “administrative error” and said it took steps to ensure it would not occur again.

David Lindsay, a spokesman for the company, told HuffPost the labor violation occurred last year, and that the back wages, overtime and fine had already been paid. Eastwood confirmed that all dues were paid in August.

Electronics For Imaging earned a total net income of $109.11 million last year, up from $83.27 million in 2012. The stock price has climbed steadily over the last five years:

o-ELECTRONICS-IN-IMAGING-570.jpg

Wage theft is nothing new in the Silicon Valley region. Last year, Bloom Energy Corporation was forced to pay out nearly $64,000 in back pay and damages to 14 workers from Mexico who were paid just $2.66 an hour.

"Unfortunately, we do see a high level of wage theft violations," Eastwood said. "But we want to send a clear message that the Department of Labor is here and we are vigorously enforcing the Fair Labor Standards Act."

Link to news article

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
This is what companies will do if they can get away with not paying min. wage

A tech company finds out the hard way it is illegal to pay $1.21 an hour for work. Whistle blower alert.

This is the Rich Republicans wet dream happening.

You'll find the resident P&Ners thrilled and hope more Tech Co's start paying even less that $1.21 an hour.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
First you complain about job off shoring. Now you complain about job in shoring?

How are the corporations supposed to win?

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
im confused isn't this the point of the tfw?

you know exploit them for all they are worth and pay them a pittance because they have no rights?

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I can't believe they got off so easy. They used the excuse they did not know you could not import people and pay them below min wage??? Really? And all they get is a slap on the wrist. Is this not what most people complain of when they say "they are taking our jobs"? They were paying them less than a illegal Mexican immigrant would work for. Think about that for a minute.

"In a statement, the company said it didn't realize it was illegal to pay workers temporarily in the United States the same wages they earn in their home countries. The $1.21 was equivalent to what the employees made in Indian rupees.

“We unintentionally overlooked laws that require even foreign employees to be paid based on local U.S. standards,” the company said in a statement."

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I guess what I am saying is if we dismantle all our workers rights and protections and get rid of a meaningful min. wage these companies will do their worst and it shows right here. If they can get away with paying absolute bottom slave wages they will. I would think that should scare the hell out of some of you especially those working in the tech industry. In fact wasn't the wages in the Tech Industry pretty damned high and good at one point back in the 1980's and early 1990's before they started outsourcing all the tech jobs? What these companies want is to bring wages down to what they pay these poor suckers in third world countries.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
What you should be saying is "please lock this, i didn't search at all and just regurgitated norse style"

Repost

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
What you should be saying is "please lock this, i didn't search at all and just regurgitated norse style"

Repost

It is almost impossible to know every thread that is posted on these forums due to the titles being completely different or the fact that the post you linked is from another news source with a different take on the subject. If the mods want to simply combine these post go for it. I think the personal attacking is a bit much don't you?

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
It is almost impossible to know every thread that is posted on these forums due to the titles being completely different or the fact that the post you linked is from another news source with a different take on the subject. If the mods want to simply combine these post go for it. I think the personal attacking is a bit much don't you?

Yes, I can see the confusion in thread titles. Theirs is completely accurate on what occurred and yours is an opinion title.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
In a statement, the company said it didn't realize it was illegal to pay workers temporarily in the United States the same wages they earn in their home countries. The $1.21 was equivalent to what the employees made in Indian rupees.

:hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.