THIS is the problem with healthcare

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Its not access, or the ability to get treated. Thats not an issue at all. The issue is cost. Drug cost. Care cost. Treatment cost. I know for instance in Japan they have price controlls, so although providers can charge whatever they want, they cant go above certain price for any given proceedure or drug. Although that sounds great, I dont know that such controls could be implemented constitutionally. With that said, I know we have price controls WRT interest rates, so maybe?

The other issue is theres so much emphasis on insurance, no one is addressing the elephant in the room. At first blush, single payer *seems* like an answer, but is it really? single payer (read: government) would be catastrophic for two reasons. First, the costs will be passed on to the public in full. Secondly, the collapse of the health insurance industry would be devastating to our economy.

Thoughts?

Pfizer raises prices on 100 drugs—again—despite backlash from public, lawmakers

Reactions: Cerb and ivwshane

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Drug prices are the most direct example of what protectionist policies will do the cost of a product. If our politicians had any balls and morals they would open up our market and watch as the price of most drugs plummets because drug makers do not have a captive audience. Now they are competing with factories in China, India, or anywhere else to sell their products.

Single payer can be structured in a way to make it affordable and cover catastrophic injury\illness. Which is what insurance is supposed to be about anyways. And we could even make it progressive so the lowest ring of our society bears no cost. And if people want private gap insurance then go for it.

Reactions: Cerb

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Thoughts?

You first.

No I'll go first. Did you think about the fact that as a "single payer" the government would have enormous leverage to negotiate lower prices or implement price controls? Did you think about the fact that unloading the cost of healthcare from employers would be a good thing for the economy? Did you think about the fact that many people employed by the insurance companies could perform similar, if not identical, functions for the government?

Jan 25, 2011
You first.

No I'll go first. Did you think about the fact that as a "single payer" the government would have enormous leverage to negotiate lower prices or implement price controls? Did you think about the fact that unloading the cost of healthcare from employers would be a good thing for the economy? Did you think about the fact that many people employed by the insurance companies could perform similar, if not identical, functions for the government?
It’s almost like he doesn’t know that single payer is cheaper.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Drug prices are the most direct example of what protectionist policies will do the cost of a product. If our politicians had any balls and morals they would open up our market and watch as the price of most drugs plummets because drug makers do not have a captive audience. Now they are competing with factories in China, India, or anywhere else to sell their products.

Single payer can be structured in a way to make it affordable and cover catastrophic injury\illness. Which is what insurance is supposed to be about anyways. And we could even make it progressive so the lowest ring of our society bears no cost. And if people want private gap insurance then go for it.
What really needs to be reworked is the IP systems.

Countries with pharma industries like India and China have a very hard time meeting the quality requirements that are required by the CRA. It's immensely complicated.

Full disclosure: I'm a scientist at a pharma company.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You first.

Dont know what you mean me go first. I did. The difference between you and I is I dont think I have the answers. Nor do you. Just opening up for discussion. Theres a ton wrong with your ideas, but Im sure you dont give a fuck my opinion so Ill leave it be.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
What really needs to be reworked is the IP systems.

Countries with pharma industries like India and China have a very hard time meeting the quality requirements that are required by the CRA. It's immensely complicated.

Full disclosure: I'm a scientist at a pharma company.

I agree with you. And the IP issues in China apply to more than drugs.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Dont know what you mean me go first. I did. The difference between you and I is I dont think I have the answers. Nor do you. Just opening up for discussion. Theres a ton wrong with your ideas, but Im sure you dont give a fuck my opinion so Ill leave it be.
I don't have the answers. Most other nations on the planet have the answers, but because liberals want it, you're skeptical.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Cheaper for who?

As for who the costs are passed on to you already pay them in a million ways every day. Almost everything you buy is more expensive because you're paying for the health care premiums for the people who made it.

As far as who it is cheaper for, it's cheaper for the people paying for care. Research shows pretty clearly that more socialized systems are more efficient than ours. Saying we shouldn't let an old, inefficient system like our insurance industry go away because of the economic effects is similar to worrying about the buggy whip factories of the past. It's time to leave the old, inefficient ways of distributing health care behind.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I don't have the answers. Most other nations on the planet have the answers, but because liberals want it, you're skeptical.

Yes other countries have different answers. But theres more to it than simply adopting. No other countries have a constitution. Thats a huge factor.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
What does structure have to do with my question? Literally everyone else in the country would pay less for healthcare except for you. You would pay more. Would you vote for it?

How about asking a reasonable question?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Depends on how its structured.

If it's like Medicare or the VA, the government would pay for it (possibly minus a small copay). I get most of my medicine/supplies through the VA, and I guarantee they pay far less than I would have to.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I'm asking you an off topic question to determine how much of a piece of shit you might be. Your inability to answer a direct question is telling though.

Havent you already decided?

Under certain circumstances, yes. Under other circumstances, no.