• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

This is the picture of Iranian women in 1979, before Islamic Revolution:

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Not as enthusiastically as that maybe, but don't be fooled, people in the ME don't have nearly the problem with the west as the powers that be would like us to think. I'd hazard that the reason your statement is true is because it doesn't exist there. Look at places like Kuwait, or Qatar, their malls are bigger than ours.
If anything people in the Middle East have a bigger problem with the West than we're told. There is a low level, simmering resentment towards the lands that produce Hollywood movies and rock stars. It will take a significant amount of time for this to dissipate.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
If anything people in the Middle East have a bigger problem with the West than we're told. There is a low level, simmering resentment towards the lands that produce Hollywood movies and rock stars. It will take a significant amount of time for this to dissipate.
I've been in four ME countries, what I saw is a fight between religion, and progress. You can't just say "The Middle East", every country there is different, but the people I talked to, aside from our occupations there, didn't really seem to care. It's pretty hard to gauge feelings for a country that is occupying yours. It isn't our culture, movies, or rock stars, it's our interference with their affairs.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
tehran is/was a fairly cosmopolitan city. problem is that much of the country is either religious conservatives or dependent upon the graft of the religious conservatives for their livelihood.

ASK THE COMMUNITY