This is really sad commentary on our country

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
My grandson is a Firefighter/EMT. The other day the his engine company went to a nearby grocery store to pick-up some food. They were wearing their Class B uniforms, meaning they wearing a shirt with a badge and not just a FD t-shirt. He also had his portable radio in a harness across his shoulder.

A little black girl saw them and immediately started crying when she saw them, and ran to her mom. My grandson, who is 19, asked the mother why the little girl was so upset. She said that in uniform and with a badge, radio, etc., she thought they were cops, and apparently dad has had some run-ins with cops in the past.

My grandson asked the mom to bring her by the fire station later, which she did. They gave her a tour of the station and trucks, and now this little girl, who he guessed is about 5 loves firefighters.

This is what the militarization of law enforcement has created, a generation that loathes, fears, and hates cops. Cops have only themselves to blame, by their actions, and more likely their inaction in policing their own ranks and getting the few bad cops out. The rank and file cops on the street, the majority of which are good people know who the rabid racists cops are, yet the system and police unions, demands their silence. These police unions that will also defend any cop regardless of his actions.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We create what we fear. If we fear that Black people are dangerous simply because they are black and use force to protect ourselves, Black people will respond by following through on our expectations. Hate is fear and fear is hate. Hate creates fear and fear creates hate right back. This all happens because as children we were told we are worthless and the best safety from feeling it is to imagine yourself superior to everybody else. It's sad to live with that need. Imagine Trump making fun of a neurologically affected reporter spazzing out on national TV. That is pretty sad because it shows no personal dignity.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
well, no not really.
Ignorance always leads to fear eventually and of course children are ignorant simply because they have so little time on planet earth.
Somebody just needed to explain the difference between firemen and policemen and she was fine. Ignorance cured.
Cops ARE dangerous and I dont blame anyone for being nervous around them.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
well, no not really.
Ignorance always leads to fear eventually and of course children are ignorant simply because they have so little time on planet earth.
Somebody just needed to explain the difference between firemen and policemen and she was fine. Ignorance cured.
Cops ARE dangerous and I dont blame anyone for being nervous around them.
In some ways children are the smartest among us.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Just imagine what would happen if Republicans treated police unions like... every other public union.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wish it were true that there are only a few bad apples in the police departments. The problem runs deeper than that. They actually train you to be racist and thugs. I talked to a kid who was in training at the police academy of Oakland, CA and he told me he dropped out because he was being instructed to grab blacks with dredlocks by their hair. He's black. He gave up on being a cop. And this is in Oakland, which is quite diverse. Imagine if he were in Minneapolis!