This is quite interesting. Yorkfield all ready being sold.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
That is quite the markup. Isn't Intel selling them for only $999 (if you buy 1000 or more)?

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
welcome to 3 days ago.

actually thats a good price, almost no price gouging at all.

21stHermit

Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by: AmberClad
That is quite the markup. Isn't Intel selling them for only $999 (if you buy 1000 or more)?
Hardly!!! Many businesses run on 40% margins, so 10-15% is tight.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: 21stHermit
Maybe Intel runs on 40% margins, but most electronics/computer retailers run on much less. 10-15% is probably average margins.

Btw, someone on xtremesystems got their ES chip to 4.65Ghz on air! Those C0 steppings really rock.

21stHermit

Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Btw, someone on xtremesystems got their ES chip to 4.65Ghz on air! Those C0 steppings really rock.
Those cherry picked ES' really rock!!!

zach0624

Jul 13, 2007

yeah I have no doubts in Yorkfield's ability to hit 4ghz but to expect 4.65ghz on air from most chips is a high, remember all the 4ghz e6750 hype? I'm not saying 3.6ghz is bad I'm just saying that most ES chips are hand picked for good reviews.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: zach0624

yeah I have no doubts in Yorkfield's ability to hit 4ghz but to expect 4.65ghz on air from most chips is a high, remember all the 4ghz e6750 hype? I'm not saying 3.6ghz is bad I'm just saying that most ES chips are hand picked for good reviews.

I've never understood why so many people refuse to believe that cherry-picking ES's for published "reviews" is the status quo.

You get what you pay for. You pay nothing for the access to Anand's review of the QX9650...guess what you get in exchange for such low low prices?

I see the same thing in the investment community, everyone is aghast at the concept that a stock analyst would have any reason but a noble one for publicizing to the world their stock ratings for a particular ticker.

Get free advice from a stock analyst and you get what you pay for. Get free computer review results and you get what you pay for. To refuse to acknowledge that Anandtech is a for-profit company is to admit to being quite the fool indeed.

Have you ever seen Anandtech, Toms Hardware, OCP, etc actually buy say 10 CPU's of the same SKU from Newegg (one at a time, over several orders, posing as individual buyer) and then reviewing the distribution of OC results and power consumption?

Sure would make sense to do this wouldn't it, unless you are a company who wants customers making purchasing decisions based on a single-sample of cherry-picked hardware and you pay good advertising incentives to ensure the meaningful review studies just never happen...

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: zach0624

I've never understood why so many people refuse to believe that cherry-picking ES's for published "reviews" is the status quo.

You get what you pay for. You pay nothing for the access to Anand's review of the QX9650...guess what you get in exchange for such low low prices?

I see the same thing in the investment community, everyone is aghast at the concept that a stock analyst would have any reason but a noble one for publicizing to the world their stock ratings for a particular ticker.

Get free advice from a stock analyst and you get what you pay for. Get free computer review results and you get what you pay for. To refuse to acknowledge that Anandtech is a for-profit company is to admit to being quite the fool indeed.

Have you ever seen Anandtech, Toms Hardware, OCP, etc actually buy say 10 CPU's of the same SKU from Newegg (one at a time, over several orders, posing as individual buyer) and then reviewing the distribution of OC results and power consumption?

Sure would make sense to do this wouldn't it, unless you are a company who wants customers making purchasing decisions based on a single-sample of cherry-picked hardware and you pay good advertising incentives to ensure the meaningful review studies just never happen...

I have to agree on this one - hand picking is only ideal

I love seeing reviews on product when the reviewer mentions that they bought it personally or I just wait until others have pulled the trigger enough and get full on user reviews. There is the rare instance when full retail user base products perform better than all the hand picked but that is usually far from the norm.

As far as tigerdirect goes on pricing this item - if the buy is at $999 per thousand then they are using a very low margin for profit on this product. In my industry we like to keep a 30% GP on most things and that would have Tigerdirects price at $1428'ish

And if you didn't know a GP of 30% is actually a mark up of 43% -- keep that in mind when looking at 1000 lot sell rates and retailer pricing

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006

Intel's recommended retail price is $999. Tiger Direct's actual margins are better than 15%, unless they are for some reason buying these at retail and then reselling them.