This is one of the things that is wrong with OUR health system as it stands now....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...s/frequent_er_patients

AUSTIN, Texas ? Just nine people accounted for nearly 2,700 of the emergency room visits in the Austin area during the past six years at a cost of $3 million to taxpayers and others, according to a report. The patients went to hospital emergency rooms 2,678 times from 2003 through 2008, said the report from the nonprofit Integrated Care Collaboration, a group of health care providers who care for low-income and uninsured patients.

"What we're really trying to do is find out who's using our emergency rooms ... and find solutions," said Ann Kitchen, executive director of the group, which presented the report last week to the Travis County Healthcare District board.

The average emergency room visit costs $1,000. Hospitals and taxpayers paid the bill through government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, Kitchen said.

Eight of the nine patients have drug abuse problems, seven were diagnosed with mental health issues and three were homeless. Five are women whose average age is 40, and four are men whose average age is 50, the report said, the Austin American-Statesman reported Wednesday.

"It's a pretty significant issue," said Dr. Christopher Ziebell, chief of the emergency department at University Medical Center at Brackenridge, which has the busiest ERs in the area.

Solutions include referring some frequent users to mental health programs or primary care doctors for future care, Ziebell said.

"They have a variety of complaints," he said. With mental illness, "a lot of anxiety manifests as chest pain."

#################################

Wowza!!! 9 million dollars!! I thought illegals were to blame the woes of our health system....hmmmmm

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Unless someone blows up our for-profit healthcare model, nothing would ever change. Ever.

I don't think Illegals are the sole cause for our every health system problem. But they aren't helping our health care system either.

p.s. Watched PBS's documentary "Sick in America" this week to see how our health care system really works.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
This happens in Canada, of course. And in fact, more often, because since nobody there pays anything when they show up, not even a copay, the opportunities for abuse are more readily available. That is why there has been talkin the past of forcing users of the Candian health system to pay a small copay to help them put some skin in the game.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
There will always be people who abuse the system. Not much you can do about this considering the alternative would be inhuman.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: winnar111
Just don't admit them....

This. Since when is health care a right?? Please, someone point me to the founding document stating this.
Sadly everyone just has the assumption they are owed health care regardless of who they are or their ability to pay.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
This happens in Canada, of course. And in fact, more often, because since nobody there pays anything when they show up, not even a copay, the opportunities for abuse are more readily available. That is why there has been talkin the past of forcing users of the Candian health system to pay a small copay to help them put some skin in the game.

I think if canada instituted a small co-pay it would help a lot. You'd get the benefit of socialized medicine while cutting down abuse.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Eight of the nine patients have drug abuse problems, seven were diagnosed with mental health issues and three were homeless. Five are women whose average age is 40, and four are men whose average age is 50, the report said, the Austin American-Statesman reported Wednesday.

Shame our mental health insitutions were gutted by Reagan. Homeless people with mental health issues should be institutionalized for their own good.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I take it these people don't have jobs, or lives. Last time I went to ER the 6 hour wait alone was more than enough to curb abuse of the system.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87

Shame our mental health insitutions were gutted by Reagan. Homeless people with mental health issues should be institutionalized for their own good.

Or at least get support from the military since a very large portion of those with mental issues that are homeless are vets.

I think the VA says if they don't won't to come in to bad. Its like telling a guy with no legs he better walk over to the other room or we will take that as he does not want any help.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Specop 007

This. Since when is health care a right?? Please, someone point me to the founding document stating this.
Sadly everyone just has the assumption they are owed health care regardless of who they are or their ability to pay.

Yeah, let's just let sick and injured people die in the street like dogs. Hell, we don't even let dogs die like that. Man, you guys are a-holes. :roll:

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
It's why universal healthcare would work better, there will always be genetically challenged individuals who need more care or there will be assholes who exploit the system and drive up costs. Why should the people of Texas have to pay more for them? Poor health affects EVERYONE, just as taxes do, it's not a coincidence.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

That's because a lot of people have discovered civilization. Understandable why you don't realize that.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus

I think if canada instituted a small co-pay it would help a lot. You'd get the benefit of socialized medicine while cutting down abuse.

It will never happen. Once you give out an entitlement you will have a serious fight on yoor hands to reign it in. Happened in Tennessee with their State paid for health insurance plan. People would go to the emergency room to get free OTC meds that they did not want to pay for. The governer tried to institute a copay to reduce this kind of abuse and the recipients of this free insurance would have no part in that. Eventually the governer had no choice but to kick a bunch of people off the plan... which was another fight itself.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Yeah, let's just let sick and injured people die in the street like dogs. Hell, we don't even let dogs die like that. Man, you guys are a-holes. :roll:

I'm not. I definitely support dropping them all off at your house.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Stupid statement.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
2700 visits by 9 people over 5 years? That's visiting the ER 5 times per month on average!

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

We don't spend $3 million on a bunch of runts, either.

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000
On the other side of the coin you've got to ask WTH a visit costs $1000.
I recently had an OJI where I cut my finger pretty badly. For two visits (they said coming back to the ER was okay) the total cost was $1600. Workers comp insurance paid for it so I didn't care. The total time I waited + treatment/sutures removal was less than 1 hour.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Mursilis

I'm not. I definitely support dropping them all off at your house.

Why bother? Just let 'em die in the streets like some 3rd world shithole country would! Right? Man, you guys are so determined to turn America into Mexico.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
People are correct when they state that healthcare is not a right...
Human life went on for thousands of years without healthcare at all, let alone healthcare for everyone...

Im still on the fence with this one though... I recognize that it is a noble goal to be able to provide healthcare for everyone. I value human life. Yet I realize that these people are at the same time a burden on the whole of society. In a fascist society there would be a quick cost/benefit analysis of the individual's production and they would either be cared for or exterminated. I dont think that is the answer, yet in communist society the rest of us are meant to pay for even the most terrible of hanger-ons...

I honestly think that this is why we have church's. This is why we have local communities. This is why we have charities. I don't want the government to be in charge of caring for people. That really shouldn't be their job, nor are they generally very good at it. Let the people care for the people.

But that's my 2 cents. Its a tough call either way.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
The big problem with this is the lack of electronic medical records - there is nothing to flag Hospital B that the patient was just at Hospital A yesterday.

When you go to a hospital, you should give them your ID, they pull up your medical records - regardless of what hospitals/doctors you have been to in the United States - and it has your medical history, your insurance info, etc. You shouldn't need to fill out 5 pieces of paper, and the hospitals wouldn't need an army of data entry people. Whatever treatment you receive, whatever perscriptions, whatever X-Rays/MRI's, etc, etc - should all be part of this database that every medical facility in the country has access to.

Dec 30, 2004

Thank you; sadly this knowledge will probably be just passed over.

Dec 30, 2004

Since we legislated that hospitals have to treat people.