This is One of the reasons I Can't stand the NBA !!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
classy: Close, but are all the correct answers (i hope stark doesn't mind).

1)86-87(same thing as 1987)
2)Marge
3)James Worthy in 87-88, Shaq in 1999-2000
4)Power Forward

EDIT: I have some more trivia about Laker numbers for any Laker fans (or bball fans in general) that want to try.

1. Of the "conventional" numbers (each digit
is a 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5), what number(s) have
never been used by a Laker?

2. What is the lowest (positive, of course)
number that has never been used by a Laker?

3. Name the Lakers who have worn a number other
than 1-55, and what number each wore.

4. What player(s) have worn the most numbers as
Lakers, and what numbers did he/they wear?

5. What do the following players have in
common: Tony Jaros, Slater Martin, Alan Hardy,
John Fairchild, Jerry Grote, Lucious Allen.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
And Phil Jackson might be the most over-rated coach in sports history.

I must strongly disagree with you there. Very ridiculous statement when looking at past results.

In '97 and '98, the Jazz beat the daylights out of the Lakers in the conference semi-finals and finals respectively. Dell Harris was coaching them then.

In '99, the Spurs swept the Lakers in the conference finals. They had just fired Dell Harris and Kurt Rambis was on the sidelines.

2000 comes and guess what team is going to the finals? The Lakers with Phil Jackson as their coach.

2001: same result.

As much as I can't stand the Lakers, I'll say that they have a damn good coach who can get the best out of the players he has.

They have less talent this year than last. Perfect record so far in the post season. Again, as much as I despise the Lakers, I'd like to see them make history.

Philly is good too. Iverson plays with a lot of heart. Probably the best small guard in the league. Larry Brown knows the game well and was an old school point guard himself in the ABA. He's a "direct-line" coach. In otherwords, he was coached by Dean Smith in college, who was coached by Phog Allen in college, who was coached by the inventor of the game, Dr. James Naismith.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

<< And Phil Jackson might be the most over-rated coach in sports history.

I must strongly disagree with you there. Very ridiculous statement when looking at past results.

In '97 and '98, the Jazz beat the daylights out of the Lakers in the conference semi-finals and finals respectively. Dell Harris was coaching them then.

In '99, the Spurs swept the Lakers in the conference finals. They had just fired Dell Harris and Kurt Rambis was on the sidelines.

2000 comes and guess what team is going to the finals? The Lakers with Phil Jackson as their coach.

2001: same result.

As much as I can't stand the Lakers, I'll say that they have a damn good coach who can get the best out of the players he has.

They have less talent this year than last. Perfect record so far in the post season. Again, as much as I despise the Lakers, I'd like to see them make history.

Philly is good too. Iverson plays with a lot of heart. Probably the best small guard in the league. Larry Brown knows the game well and was an old school point guard himself in the ABA. He's a &quot;direct-line&quot; coach. In otherwords, he was coached by Dean Smith in college, who was coached by Phog Allen in college, who was coached by the inventor of the game, Dr. James Naismith.
>>

I didn't say he wasn't a good coach, but clearly over rated when you consider the players he has been blessed with. The emergence of Kobe the last 2 years has put them over the top, not the coach. And the year the Spurs beat them Duncan was playing out of his mind. This team is better than last year's. This is the same team except Horace is there this year vs Glen Rice last year. Grant is clearly an upgrade from Rice IMO. And Fox, Fisher and Shaw have really played well. He is a good coach. But any of the good coaches in the league could win with this team, considering the way Kobe and Shaq especially are playing. He does a great job of letting his players play I'll give him that, but as far as being able to really have to coach I think he would come up short. Without MJ he won nothing. Larry Brown who I was never really a fan of really had to coach this year and has done an outstanding job.

beatinitup

Sep 22, 2000
Phil jackson is a good coach, not a great coach. everyone gives him credit for the triangle offense....but he isnt the one that created it. His assistant did. Just an interesting fact...

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
NBA sucks because they are all a bunch of whining wusses...

College hoops is the only kind of basketball worth a viewing...

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
1. Of the &quot;conventional&quot; numbers (each digit
is a 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5), what number(s) have
never been used by a Laker?

2. What is the lowest (positive, of course)
number that has never been used by a Laker?

Wasn't Orlando Woolridge 0? And Benoit was 00, so who wins? Peeler, Earl Jones and Wes Matthews were 1.

3. Name the Lakers who have worn a number other
than 1-55, and what number each wore.

I know Rodman was 73 (they wouldn't give him 69).
Benoit and Calvin Garrett were 00. Jerry Chambers and Orlando wer 0. MIkan was 99.

4. What player(s) have worn the most numbers as
Lakers, and what numbers did he/they wear? George Lynch 24/30/34
Rambo 18/30/31

5. What do the following players have in
common: Tony Jaros 13, Slater Martin 22, Alan Hardy 25,
John Fairchild 33, Jerry Grote 32, Lucious Allen 42.

Their numbers are all retired and hanging in Staples for other players.
and
They all played before I knew what a basketball was. ;)

I had to search for some of those answers. Too many numbers. :p

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Stark, close. Here are the answers I got:

1)51

2)I think you misread this one, its the lowest number NEVER worn by a Laker, the answer is 28.

3)
  • 00 Benoit Benjamin
    00 Calvin Garrett
    0 Jerry Chambers
    0 Orlando Woolridge
    70 Frank Selvy
    73 Dennis Rodman
    99 George Mikan

4)Correct
5)Correct (In a few years we'll be adding to that list when Shaq and Kobe's numbers are retired: Jim Brewer 8, Doug Christie 8, Randolph Keys 8, John Block 34, Petur Gudmunsson 34, Clay Johnson 34, Earl Jones 34, Stan Love 34, George Lynch 34, Erwin Mueller 34, Myles Patrick 34, Tony Smith 34, Ray Tolbert 34.)

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000

<< This is One of the reasons I Can't stand the NBA !!! >>

Great. Yet another Tree Right activist...&quot;Save the trees! Use plastic floors!&quot;

:D;)