This is it - finally I can ask for resume help:) (please help me out)

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Tuesday 7/21st edit:

Okay..the redo is available at the same address.

http://www.wisetyro.com/Resume...id_Trejo_fall_2007.pdf

I had to redo it (importing it or even copy and pasting into Pages.app didn't work well so I just rewrote and edited it heavily...hopefully it shows:( ) and tried to incorporate as much as possible

The font still looks hideous when I export it:(

Thanks again:)

*keep in mind that I just got home after a 16ish hr day and am a "little" wired*

tomorrow is the last day of a summer internship and I have to fight tooth and nail to make ends meat this fall so I want to document it correctly but am too sleepy to trust myself

I am applying to an off-campus but campus-based entry DBA-ish type position, and I am trying to update my resume to the fact.

Of particular importance is that last bit. I just imported into Pages.app, so the formatting might be off...fixable

Basically, I interned with NG, aiding them day in and day out with the development of a new and relevant ISP. I met with Department heads and Managers day after day, and heavily familiarized myself with corporate policy (as best I could in the time period..I was reading books like crazy and applying what I already know, not to mention the flurry of meetings). It was intended to be a productive and educational experience, but I worked my ass off and we nearly finished it:)

In terms of my resume, I can answer any question concerning the section that you may have if you think my bullet points are too broad or useless etc:) It's pretty much vomit on paper for now, so I expect nothing less than truly wretched comments:evil:

Thanks, and as always, much appreciated.:)

I have to go since I have a critical DBA meeting tomorrow @ 10am:eek:

*passes out in his bed*

*No, seriously.*

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Change experience order to show most recent to oldest. Being a hiring manager, you have less than 30 seconds to impress me. I disposition most applicants based off of their resume within 10 seconds.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Put your name and contact info as a 'header' instead of a 'body' of the page.

Rearrange by putting name first then contact info at the bottom of name.

Rearrange by putting title/position then the place of work.

I would suggest this order: Professional Experience, Education, Computer Experience, Languages.

Besides typical day-to-day responsibilities at each job experience, do you have 'accomplishments' that you can highlight at each job?

Fike

Oct 2, 2001
I don't mind the computer experience being at the top. It summarizes the key information that is relevant to the job. Definitely change the sequence start from your most recent position.

Some nitpicky stuff:
Don't use a serifed font in the headings..try Arial or Helvetica for a cleaner more readable look.
Your bullets are inconsistent in style and indent.
Don't use a bullet when you only have one thing (in your languages section, try a short sentence.
Too much white space after Computer and Academic Experience.
Need more white space after each job title section under Professional experience.
Is networkability a word? I don't care if it is, I would use something more standard.

Since you don't have a ton of experience, you need a bit more meat. It appears as if you are pretty general and vague about some really good experience. The auditing stuff at NG could be explained a bit more. What were your recommendations? Were any of them implemented? You talk about network design in SMB area, you may want to mention the types of equipment that you designed in. Sometimes people like to see familiarity with specific, industry-standard equipment. What levels of math were you tutoring? At Fairfax PS, were there any notable or important software rollouts that you worked with?

I take it back, you have lots of experience, but this resume makes you look like a pretty inexpereinced person. You need to flesh it out lots. Be specific. When I scan resumes, I look for tools, software, equipment and technologies that the person has touched. I don't see much of that. When I scan for technologies I see: RAID and CRMs, both still somewhat abstract. Everything else is abstracted to a generalized term. Laptop repair: what kinds of laptops? What types of repairs? Did you replace mboards or memory chips?

I am not suggesting you talk yourself up more than deserved, but if you have really done all this stuff, give some detail. Then, you may be able to fill your page withouth resorting to big fonts and wide margins that give the impression of inexpereince.

Good Luck!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Okay..the redo is available at the same address.

I had to redo it (importing it or even copy and pasting into Pages.app didn't work well so I just rewrote and edited it heavily...hopefully it shows:( ) and tried to incorporate as much as possible

The font still looks hideous when I export it:(

Thanks again:)

edit: got rid of the .titles and made all the titles consistent due to the numerous complaints