This is how we celebrate an Obama victory in Detroit baby!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: rdubbz420

what would you say if they were two kkk members outside of a polling station in alabama?

What's your point? First Proof needs to be shown. That's all we asked for, but didn't get.

like I said, I'm not going to waste my time on some lame argument because I really don't care much.

Should be in the other thread anyway.

So just to clear thigs up, you don't think a man dressed in black panther garb brandishing a nightstick outside a polling station is meant for intimidation?
If they were at a Polling Station where there were white constituents most definitely but at a polling place where all the voters were black not so much. he was probably doing it more to feel bad ass than anything else. How ever it was wrong and he was rightly told to GTFO.

The man who called the police on these two Black Panther guys was WHITE! He was going into his polling place when they said some racist remarks to him while he was entering and tried to intimidate him.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I don't think some of you are grasping the concept or meaning of the term intimidation.

First, it does not require an action on the part of the intimidating object(s) -- mere presence may sufficiently qualify something, or someone, as intimidating.

but that is for the other thread...

/hijack off

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
There were two black panthers. Of course, they're 100% representative of all the blacks and democrats in the country. Honestly, and yeah the guy was intimidating, he wasn't a total clown, it's not like he attacked anybody. Who knows what he was thinking, but at least he was well dressed and groomed.

I wonder how you would react to a couple KKK members standing around "not attacking anybody" at a polling location.

"Move along... nothing to see here!"

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

what would you say if they were two kkk members outside of a polling station in alabama?

What's your point? First Proof needs to be shown. That's all we asked for, but didn't get.

like I said, I'm not going to waste my time on some lame argument because I really don't care much.

So just to clear thigs up, you don't think a man dressed in black panther garb brandishing a nightstick outside a polling station is meant for intimidation?
If they were at a Polling Station where there were white constituents most definitely but at a polling place where all the voters were black not so much. he was probably doing it more to feel bad ass than anything else. How ever it was wrong and he was rightly told to GTFO.

The man who called the police on these two Black Panther guys was WHITE! He was going into his polling place when they said some racist remarks to him while he was entering and tried to intimidate him.
No kidding, I thought it was some College Reporters and a Republican Poll Monitor and what I saw there was no racial comments made. Anyway the guy with the Nightstick had no business being there with that Nightstick.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

I'm sure he did, and then they held him down and carved a B in his face.

Feb 10, 2000
http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/17896129/index.html

"I aint never seen nothin' like this in my life, and I love my wife, :music:and you can have whatever you like....":music:

I love how they all stopped their cars in the streets and are out dancing with their Obama signs too!

This actually looks like a scene out of Chapelle's Show where black people get reporations...

You stay classy Detroit!

This is how people celebrate EVERYTHING in Detroit. What I see in that video is a peaceful celebration, even if it isn't the way I celebrate good news.

Corbett, I suggest you celebrate the birth of your child, congratulate President-elect Obama and his supporters, and hope for the best in the next four years. Your petty sore-loser whining helps nobody. BTW, congrats on the addition to your family!

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
There were two black panthers. Of course, they're 100% representative of all the blacks and democrats in the country. Honestly, and yeah the guy was intimidating, he wasn't a total clown, it's not like he attacked anybody. Who knows what he was thinking, but at least he was well dressed and groomed.

Is there something else confirming they were in fact "Black Panthers"?

Yeah, they just looked like "concerned citizens" to me who just happened to be carrying a big stick and wearing a beret.

:disgust:

Seeing as how the old Black Panther party doesnt exist, and anyone can buy a beret or a baton, these were two people acting independently. But if people feel like taking two random busybodies and trying to extrapolate a wholly unsupportable argument, feel free.

No one should be at a polling station acting in an intimidating manner, period. There's universal agreement on that point. Why are these two brought up in thread after thread, though?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone

"I aint never seen nothin' like this in my life, and I love my wife, :music:and you can have whatever you like....":music:

I love how they all stopped their cars in the streets and are out dancing with their Obama signs too!

This actually looks like a scene out of Chapelle's Show where black people get reporations...

You stay classy Detroit!

This is how people celebrate EVERYTHING in Detroit. What I see in that video is a peaceful celebration, even if it isn't the way I celebrate good news.

Corbett, I suggest you celebrate the birth of your child, congratulate President-elect Obama and his supporters, and hope for the best in the next four years. Your petty sore-loser whining helps nobody. BTW, congrats on the addition to your family!

Thank Don. My whole point was just showing how silly people can be about these things. I'm not whining at all. The guy interviewed in that video is a complete moron and thats why I showed the video.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: yowolabi

Yeah, they just looked like "concerned citizens" to me who just happened to be carrying a big stick and wearing a beret.

Seeing as how the old Black Panther party doesnt exist, and anyone can buy a beret or a baton, these were two people acting independently. But if people feel like taking two random busybodies and trying to extrapolate a wholly unsupportable argument, feel free.

No one should be at a polling station acting in an intimidating manner, period. There's universal agreement on that point. Why are these two brought up in thread after thread, though?

I've totally lost faith in this place. Come on people, if you can't be honest with yourselves don't even bother.

If a couple white guys with hoods - true KKK affiliation or not - were guarding the doorstep of a polling location, there would be no end to the outrage here.

I expect a lot of crap to to surface in P&N, but every once in awhile, the hypocrisy and apologizing is so crude and unnerving that even I am surprised.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jbourne77

I've totally lost faith in this place. Come on people, if you can't be honest with yourselves don't even bother.

If a couple white guys with hoods - true KKK affiliation or not - were guarding the doorstep of a polling location, there would be no end to the outrage here.

I expect a lot of crap to to surface in P&N, but every once in awhile, the hypocrisy and apologizing is so crude and unnerving that even I am surprised.

Again, it is not hypocrisy. If 2 KKK members were dressed up in KKK uniforms outside a Polling station, I would recognize them as such.

Asking for Proof is not an unreasonable request and the video shown is devoid of Proof.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

You stay classy Detroit!

I see what you did there, demeaned a bunch of strangers because you feel superior to them. Thank god you don't dance when you're happy, because only "ghetto" people do. Much more classy to chant and scream, like the elites. And they have Obama signs!

Forget that it's a large group of people gathered in peaceful celebration. They must be demeaned!

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Come on, we all know the KKK doesnt exist anymore! Therefore, this didnt happen!

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Exterous
Did you see the report on the black panthers stationed outside polling locations with night sticks?

We're still waiting for the proof of that in the thread about it.

Text

The only thing that video was missing was a backwards B.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

You stay classy Detroit!

A lot classier then those rednecks at the McCain rallys

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Exterous
Did you see the report on the black panthers stationed outside polling locations with night sticks?

Gawd- gotta love it. Rightwing conspiracy theorist outrage addicts get their daily dose.

The correct term is singular- one polling place in the whole country, and rightwing propagandists could have paid some unemployed guy a coupla C-notes to stage the whole thing...

Really, really weak sauce. More like instant water... you know, add water and you've got water...

We'll put you and the OP on the Wahmbulance waiting list, OK? Stay calm, fondle your duct tape and plastic sheeting, imagine yourself between the sheets with "the Sarah!"- it'll all be OK...

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

You stay classy Detroit!

Seriously Corbett, what was the problem with that video? I was watching live on 4 last night and despite the fact that some of them were drunk, everyone seemed like they were behaving.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

Again, it is not hypocrisy. If 2 KKK members were dressed up in KKK uniforms outside a Polling station, I would recognize them as such.

Asking for Proof is not an unreasonable request and the video shown is devoid of Proof.

You know, at some point, burying your head in the sand just isn't enough to make the obvious "go away". If it walks like a duck and is carrying a weapon, it's probably a goddamn fucking duck.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

Another atttack of the "if it was the other way" strawmen that seem to be the only argument anyone has nowadays. Apparently you're not mad about what happened but about the amount of outrage I felt about a situation that didn't happen. Your ability to see alternate universes, aside, i'd have exact same reaction as I have now. If it was two idiots acting independently, i'd say the two idiots should be removed.

If there was a pattern of voter intimidation, i'd say whatever needed to be done to stop that pattern should be done. I have never gone overboard over a couple of idiots and I never will.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

You know, at some point, burying your head in the sand just isn't enough to make the obvious "go away". If it walks like a duck and is carrying a weapon, it's probably a goddamn fucking duck.

You don't even find the Video suspect? Did the Police escort or have them move off from that place?

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

Another atttack of the "if it was the other way" strawmen that seem to be the only argument anyone has nowadays. Apparently you're not mad about what happened but about the amount of outrage I felt about a situation that didn't happen. Your ability to see alternate universes, aside, i'd have exact same reaction as I have now. If it was two idiots acting independently, i'd say the two idiots should be removed.

If there was a pattern of voter intimidation, i'd say whatever needed to be done to stop that pattern should be done. I have never gone overboard over a couple of idiots and I never will.

Sorry, your logic fails. This isn't an address to you personally, but rather an address to the collective outrage that has risen historically when there's the slightest perceived intimidation at polling places. There's outrage when police are stationed to keep order, but there's excuse after excuse when a couple of armed men who, are at the very least insinuating they are BP, are guarding an entrance.

Nothing to see here, folks... move along!

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Heard from my coworker that the were shooting handguns in the air last night in detroit.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

Sorry, your logic fails. This isn't an address to you personally, but rather an address to the collective outrage that has risen historically when there's the slightest perceived intimidation at polling places. There's outrage when police are stationed to keep order, but there's excuse after excuse when a couple of armed men who, are at the very least insinuating they are BP, are guarding an entrance.

Nothing to see here, folks... move along!

Show where there was collective outrage over a couple of people, as opposed to a systemic problem. Time to put up or shut up.

I've not only bolded the second part of my intitial statement, ive brought it down here for you. Where are there excuses made for these men?

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

You don't even find the Video suspect? Did the Police escort or have them move off from that place?

I give up. You've made up your mind that this is somehow "different" and totally acceptable, and in my eyes, that shows a grave indifference to any measurable degree of objectivity. In light of that, we're both wasting our breath.