This is how fast things can go bad.. Video Shows Alleged Attack On Utah Man Who Is Asked If He’s Gay

Nov 8, 2012
With the way dude looks and that girlie punch thinking its self hate.

Yeah plus his voice makes him sound like the gay one.

I do think that something needs to be said for this new generation of thinking you can freely shove cameras in peoples face and record. Recording someone's actions from a reasonable distance is totally acceptable when in public. Within punching distance and shoving it in their face? Ehhhhh....Almost borderlines on harassment.

Also another case where we have nothing but an 8 second cut clip. More context would be le appreciated. Since he was recording there is NO DOUBT that there is some type of prior altercation that isn't being presented in full.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Yeah plus his voice makes him sound like the gay one.

I do think that something needs to be said for this new generation of thinking you can freely shove cameras in peoples face and record. Recording someone's actions from a reasonable distance is totally acceptable when in public. Within punching distance and shoving it in their face? Ehhhhh....Almost borderlines on harassment.

Also another case where we have nothing but an 8 second cut clip. More context would be le appreciated. Since he was recording there is NO DOUBT that there is some type of prior altercation that isn't being presented in full.

Victim blaming much?

Sounds like they pulled out the camera for self defense. If someone is threatening you, will they still dare to do it on camera? Isn't that the point of all the security cameras people put up?

But I guess Trumpers think guns are the only way...

From the article:

"He said the clash began when the man confronted him and three friends, shouting “homophobic and misogynistic" slurs at them. Trejo said he then began recording video with his phone because the man was “getting increasingly aggressive verbally." The man — whom police have not identified — not only hit Trejo but also shoved one of the women who was with him, Trejo said"

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Quite the violent assault. I bet he was enabled to hit that phone by Trump! ORANGE MAN BAD!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
Victim blaming much?

Sounds like they pulled out the camera for self defense. If someone is threatening you, will they still dare to do it on camera? Isn't that the point of all the security cameras people put up?

No - Not at all.

My main emphasis is that shoving a camera in someones face to the point where it is within punch-able distance is a little on you. It isn't difficult to pull out your camera, start recording, and still be at a reasonable distance. We have zero clue what the context of the situation here is. You have no clue what happened prior, nor after this TINY MICROSCOPIC 8-second clip - and neither do I.

Not saying that his actions are acceptable. Burn him at the stake for battery or whatever presuming that this 8-second clip gives the overall story in full.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
No - Not at all.

My main emphasis is that shoving a camera in someones face to the point where it is within punch-able distance is a little on you. It isn't difficult to pull out your camera, start recording, and still be at a reasonable distance. We have zero clue what the context of the situation here is. You have no clue what happened prior, nor after this TINY MICROSCOPIC 8-second clip - and neither do I.

Not saying that his actions are acceptable. Burn him at the stake for battery or whatever presuming that this 8-second clip gives the overall story in full.

That's why the police are investigating, as they should. Why you are suggesting the victim's actions are borderline harassment is beyond me.

Also why it's great to have video for evidence.

Mr Punchy is in for a world of shit.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's why the police are investigating, as they should. Why you are suggesting the victim's actions are borderline harassment is beyond me.

Also why it's great to have video for evidence.

Mr Punchy is in for a world of shit.

Well, because the assailant must have been provoked, of course. At least in the world of the Trumpsters. It's a re-run of the "she shouldn't have worn that dress" routine.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
No - Not at all.

Seriously? Bitek posted this above, but the article does provide context, at least from the victim's perspective:

"He said the clash began when the man confronted him and three friends, shouting “homophobic and misogynistic" slurs at them. Trejo said he then began recording video with his phone because the man was “getting increasingly aggressive verbally." The man — whom police have not identified — not only hit Trejo but also shoved one of the women who was with him, Trejo said"

Also notice from the video that it was the man saying he was gay in response to the attacker's question which was the immediate impetus for the assault. And you're blaming the victim for holding the camera too close?

Reactions: Perknose
Nov 8, 2012
Seriously? Bitek posted this above, but the article does provide context, at least from the victim's perspective:

Also notice from the video that it was the man saying he was gay in response to the attacker's question which was the immediate impetus for the assault. And you're blaming the victim for holding the camera too close?

Seriously? My main point of my post (that you quoted) is that this is one-sided argument. The dude looks more entranced into his phone but the quote from the victim is stating he is randomly chanting "homophobic and misogynistic" slurs at random people in public? How do you even do that? Just walking around town and randomly saying "Hey there c*nty mc c*nt. Hi there fa^^ots". That is just the default speech of your typical left looney at any of their stupid rallies "Racist, Sexist, Anti-gay!". Context context context. There still is no fucking context. There isn't even a direct quote cited.

I guarantee you there is more to this story. Once again, I'm not stating that a punch is justified. It certainly isn't. But there is more to this story. You're a complete fucking moron if you take this one person's 8 second clip as the answer to what happened over a course of several minutes.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Seriously? My main point of my post (that you quoted) is that this is one-sided argument. The dude looks more entranced into his phone but the quote from the victim is stating he is randomly chanting "homophobic and misogynistic" slurs at random people in public? How do you even do that? Just walking around town and randomly saying "Hey there c*nty mc c*nt. Hi there fa^^ots". That is just the default speech of your typical left looney at any of their stupid rallies "Racist, Sexist, Anti-gay!". Context context context. There still is no fucking context. There isn't even a direct quote cited.

I guarantee you there is more to this story. Once again, I'm not stating that a punch is justified. It certainly isn't. But there is more to this story. You're a complete fucking moron if you take this one person's 8 second clip as the answer to what happened over a course of several minutes.

That 8 second clip is very simple. The attacker asks the man holding the camera if he is gay. When he says yes, the attacker responds with a punch to the face. All the while wearing a smirk on his face. Given what is on camera, I'm having a hard time not crediting the victim's account of what happened before the camera was turned on.

Why did the man ask the victim if he is gay?

Nov 8, 2012
That 8 second clip is very simple. The attacker asks the man holding the camera if he is gay. When he says yes, the attacker responds with a punch to the face. All the while wearing a smirk on his face. Given what is on camera, I'm having a hard time not crediting the victim's account of what happened before the camera was turned on.

Why did the man ask the victim if he is gay?

Apparently you guys haven't learned from the MAGA Hat boys epic failure yet.

CONTEXT. Why do I need to stress the importance of this. Do you not quite understand WHY this person etched out only 8-seconds?

I want to know the full story. Yes, the kid assaulted the other one - that doesn't mean case closed no further questions. That means get the ENTIRE FUCKING STORY.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

CONTEXT. Why do I need to stress the importance of this. Do you not quite understand WHY this person etched out only 8-seconds?

I want to know the full story. Yes, the kid assaulted the other one - that doesn't mean case closed no further questions. That means get the ENTIRE FUCKING STORY.

The MAGA hat boys didn't punch someone in the face after asking if they were gay. The only similarity between the two instances was the smirking.

At a minimum, this guy is guilty of a battery unless you think you see self-defense in that vid. I can't see anything outside that video making him not guilty of a crime. They can easily convict him on the vid alone without knowing anything that happened before. Yet we have the victims' account of what happened before, and it's consistent with what we see in the vid.

And for the record, I was not on board with the MAGA hat incident. That's the thing. I'm generally quite prudent in the assumptions I make. Recent example:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...r-refusing-to-stand-for-pledge.2561518/page-4

But sometimes a banana really is just a banana.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
The MAGA hat boys didn't punch someone in the face after asking if they were gay. The only similarity between the two instances was the smirking.

At a minimum, this guy is guilty of a battery unless you think you see self-defense in that vid. I can't see anything outside that video making him not guilty of a crime.

And for the record, I was not on board with the MAGA hat incident. That's the thing. I'm generally quite prudent in the assumptions I make. But sometimes a banana really is just a banana.

Okay then, let's go with the gay guy grabbed his ass prior to the recording and assaulted the guy that punched first because he thought he was cute. Guy that punched was obviously offended and felt like he was assaulted. Seems unlikely, but possible. I'm sure it's been done plenty of times in the past.

My point simply being, this is an example of where I refuse to declare the end result over a VERY obvious 8-second cut-up. You had to SERIOUSLY cut that shit up to only leave those 8 measly seconds.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What reasonably likely prior context would have justified the assailant’s actions?

Reactions: HurleyBird

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Okay then, let's go with the gay guy grabbed his ass prior to the recording and assaulted the guy that punched first because he thought he was cute. Guy that punched was obviously offended and felt like he was assaulted. Seems unlikely, but possible. I'm sure it's been done plenty of times in the past.

My point simply being, this is an example of where I refuse to declare the end result over a VERY obvious 8-second cut-up. You had to SERIOUSLY cut that shit up to only leave those 8 measly seconds.

They said they started recording during their interaction with him because of his behavior. The vid ended after the camera holder was knocked to the ground. There probably isn't a longer video which got edited.

Does that guy look like he was just sexually assaulted? He's grinning arrogantly as he asks if the guy is gay and punches him in the face. Someone just assaulted would appear distressed or angry. He looks like he's enjoying himself. Also, why would you ask a man if he was gay after he just sexually assaulted you? The answer to the question would seem readily apparent.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We have considerable evidence here and by far the most likely conclusion is that the punch was unjustified.

If future information comes out people can always revise their opinions.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
It wouldn't surprise me at all if a longer clip ended up showing the victim in a worse light. Still wouldn't excuse the sucker punch.