this is disheartening..... I am going to take so long to get my fscking degree.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Btw I read this a little while ago on a UT career page.

Ecology is "a great field to work in, but very competitive," our contacts report. The pay is "not great," but the work is "incredibly rewarding and fun." One ecologist says that she is in the field because she believes in "the importance of the work and preservation of wildlife and nature--not to get rich!" Although consulting jobs pay more, they are not necessarily the most rewarding. According to one respondent, the job requires that ecological consultants "bust their asses to help employers do as much damage to the environment as possible without getting into trouble." A 20-year veteran of the ecological profession concurs by stating his motto: "Even a bad day in the field is better than a good day at the office."

lol, that pretty much sums it up. Most of the research oriented jobs are from non-profits (bad pay) and schools (competitive) and if you want to make money it's going to be working for private sector. Not like genetics/molecular where research and money go hand in hand.

Those two concentrations you listed, from what I read it seems that the resource management one is more policy/history/social science oriented than the other one, depending on how the courses are taught.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
eh, you're better off than me... i've been sitting here at school wasting my time away.. no idea what degree i want... so i just settled to get an econ degree and get the hell out. my loans keep piling up further and further. had i just made this decision a year ago, I would be done in spring. But me trying to do one thing led to failure and boom, here i am.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Could be worse...I'll be 31 when I finally get my degree.

I'll be almost 30. I guess the third one is that hardest to get. :D