This is big

Vertimus

Banned
Apr 2, 2004
I don't get it... what does this do that BT etc won't? Otherwise it won't curb piracy at all.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
OMG they finally figured this out! :roll:

Effing morons shoulda introduced legal movie downloads years ago...

Wait a sec...why is Intel so interested in this...i have this feeling it's because of the DRM & crap they will soon have embedded on their CPUs...very interesting...

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I'm sure it will be a few years off before they get it out, esp. because bandwidth and storage have to increase AND HTPC's need to get more popular before they can get a substantial return on investment (imho). I wonder how much $ intel is sinking into it.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
bah..I talked about this awhile ago...

mark cuban is already realisng a movie like this, as in on demand, but only for TVs for now...it would preview at the same time as in theaters..

the kicker...

It would be in HD:Q

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: n7

.i have this feeling it's because of the DRM & crap they will soon have embedded on their CPUs...very interesting...

Intel already learned their lesson after the pentium 3 whole serial issue stuff. They also wouldn't do it because it would give people another reason to go AMD. I only see them doing this if it became a law, which would have very bad ramifications.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003

Wait a sec...why is Intel so interested in this...i have this feeling it's because of the DRM & crap they will soon have embedded on their CPUs...very interesting...

Microsoft has told them to stuff it on the CPU DRM. Intel is making more enemies than friends lately for various reasons. Chassis manufacturers are pissed off over BTX and have largely refused to do it, mobo manufacturers are pissed over BTX and have largely refused to do it, AMD is pissed over BTX and REFUSES to do it because it would make their memory architecture 120% impossible due to the distances involved by the "mandatory cooling zones" around the CPU. MS is pissed because Intel made them do IA64 Windows, which never even made up it's development costs. MS is further pissed because Intel refuses to comply to the letter of the AMD64 spec and thereby isn't getting full CPU support (Intel was told by Microsoft that there will be NO MORE architectures - IA64, AMD64 and I386 are all they have to work with). Intel's EMT64 CPUs will, thereby, limp along, partially working in AMD64 Windows, or be relegated to 32bit operation in I386. "Palladium" DRM has been dropped from Longhorn because everyone except Intel made it deadly clear that they didn't care for it and weren't going to use it. PSU manufacturers are also getting pissed at Intel over the bi-weekly specification revisions on ATX for the sole purpose of delivering 11ty billion watts to the CPU.

They think they run the industry, and they're just now finding out... That they don't. It's run by committee.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: EyeMWing

Microsoft has told them to stuff it on the CPU DRM. Intel is making more enemies than friends lately for various reasons. Chassis manufacturers are pissed off over BTX and have largely refused to do it, mobo manufacturers are pissed over BTX and have largely refused to do it, AMD is pissed over BTX and REFUSES to do it because it would make their memory architecture 120% impossible due to the distances involved by the "mandatory cooling zones" around the CPU. MS is pissed because Intel made them do IA64 Windows, which never even made up it's development costs. MS is further pissed because Intel refuses to comply to the letter of the AMD64 spec and thereby isn't getting full CPU support (Intel was told by Microsoft that there will be NO MORE architectures - IA64, AMD64 and I386 are all they have to work with). Intel's EMT64 CPUs will, thereby, limp along, partially working in AMD64 Windows, or be relegated to 32bit operation in I386. "Palladium" DRM has been dropped from Longhorn because everyone except Intel made it deadly clear that they didn't care for it and weren't going to use it. PSU manufacturers are also getting pissed at Intel over the bi-weekly specification revisions on ATX for the sole purpose of delivering 11ty billion watts to the CPU.

They think they run the industry, and they're just now finding out... That they don't. It's run by committee.
Holy shit that was an interesting read. :thumbsup:
I'm completely in the dark about most of that, but it's still very, very interesting.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: agnitrate

.i have this feeling it's because of the DRM & crap they will soon have embedded on their CPUs...very interesting...

Intel already learned their lesson after the pentium 3 whole serial issue stuff. They also wouldn't do it because it would give people another reason to go AMD. I only see them doing this if it became a law, which would have very bad ramifications.

I hope you are right, but AMD has that Presidio Security Technology in the works too...of course that & Intel's LaGrande tech are designed to protect us...& likely to protect us from making copies of our own movies & CDs too...

I tend to be a tad paranoid, but i am quite certain there has to be a good reason why Intel is even interested in this...& the LaGrande tech they will be implementing makes sense...

Edit: Okay, i just read EyeMWing's post.
Very interesting...but seriously guys, why would Intel care about this?
There has to be a good reason...

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: agnitrate

I hope you are right, but AMD has that Presidio Security Technology in the works too...of course that & Intel's LaGrande tech are designed to protect us...& likely to protect us from making copies of our own movies & CDs too...

I tend to be a tad paranoid, but i am quite certain there has to be a good reason why Intel is even interested in this...& the LaGrande tech they will be implementing makes sense...

Edit: Okay, i just read EyeMWing's post.
Very interesting...but seriously guys, why would Intel care about this?
There has to be a good reason...

Because they're about to have their ass handed to them in the CPU biz by the combined might of the rest of the industry and the courts. Time to diversify a bit.