This happenned in my neck of the woods....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Only in my neck of the woods..lolol
Just amazing how the local Police immediately wanted to escalate things....
http://www.montereycountyweekly.com...cle_d1d5492c-7c03-11e4-adf8-938b57ae802a.html

At a time when police departments nationwide are under fire for excessive use of force, a police officer at CSU Monterey Bay has been threatened with termination for not using enough of it.
And just this evening, attorneys representing the officer (whose name is not being disclosed) learned the university has denied a pubic entity claim they filed Nov. 12 on the officer's behalf. Attorneys received CSUMB's response, dated Dec. 2, in today's mail.

"They could’ve said 'Let's have a discussion," says Kathleen Mastagni-Storm, whose firm is representing the officer. "We're always open to a resolution."

Instead, Mastagni-Storm says they will now pursue the matter in court.

The officer's termination stems from an incident that occurred Feb. 22.

The officer, a 20-year veteran who’s spent eight years at the department, responded to a scene at a CSUMB dormitory in February where a student was allegedly threatening to commit suicide. Being alone, he called the Marina Police Department for backup.

According to Jeff Solomon, president of the Statewide University Police Association, which represents CSU police officers, the officer had calmed down the student, who was unarmed, before the Marina PD arrived.

“We go through extensive training in crisis prevention intervention,” Solomon says. “This guy had special training and a great demeanor, he really talked [the student] down.”

Solomon says things quickly changed when three Marina police officers arrived.

“The victim stood up and asked for a glass of water and the Marina guys started yelling at [the student]. Our officer thought they aggravated the situation.”

The Marina police began using their Tasers when the student was noncompliant, Solomon says, while the CSU officer chose not to. He says they also “dry-stunned” the student after their Taser cartridges ran out, using the two prongs of their Tasers. He says the Marina officers asked the CSU officer for his Taser when their cartridges ran out, but he refused.

“This was kind of no brainer for us. This is the kind of call we handle every day,” Solomon says.

Following the incident, Solomon says the officer called the Marina police on the radio.

“He thought they were heavy-handed, thanked them, and said ‘If that’s what you’re going to do, I don’t need you.'”
The Marina officers later filed a complaint against the CSU officer for failing to act two weeks later, which led to the officer being put on paid administrative leave, and he was notified earlier this week that he would be terminated.

“After what happened in Ferguson, here we have an officer who clearly did the right thing, and he’s getting fired for it,” he says. “It’s very frustrating for us.”

That comment echoes a comment from the student’s father that was included in a SUPA press release about the incident:

“It defies logic and is extremely disappointing that, at a time when law enforcement is under fire for using more force than necessary, an officer is being terminated for attempting to use civilized methods to resolve a situation.”

Mastagni-Storm says the officer had interacted with the student prior to the incident and was trying to develop a rapport with him, and even called the student's father before he arrived to the scene.

"It’s very common for campus police to know students by name and develop relationships with them," she says.

Mastagni-Storm also disclosed the CSUMB officer is Asian, and the student in the incident is black.

Neither Mastagni-Storm or Solomon are willing to share the police reports from the incident, but both say there is nothing to indicate any wrongdoing by the CSU officer.

“There’s nothing that supports their charges,” Solomon says.

Marina Police Chief Edmundo Rodriguez did not return calls seeking comment, and the CSU Police Department referred inquiries to a university spokesperson who provided only this brief statement:

“This issue involves a personnel investigation and we are unable to provide specific comments regarding an ongoing personnel matter. This case is much more complex than was conveyed in the press release. However, we are not at liberty to comment further as the personnel process moves forward.”

To Solomon, the only complexity is that he believes the Marina officers filed their complaint preemptively, fearing the CSU officer would file a complaint against them for excessive use of force.

“If you just look at the facts of the case,” he says, “it doesn’t pass the smell test.”

Mastagni-Storm says she will be filing a writ in Monterey Superior Court in the coming weeks alleging the officer's rights were violated.

When asked why the CSUMB's investigation of the incident and decision to terminate the officer took nearly a year, Mastagni-Storm didn't have an answer.

"One would think that an incident that would warrant a termination, you would think it would be done quickly," she says.

Mastagni-Storm adds the officer was a corporal in a quasi-supervisory position and has no red flags in his file.

"He has a very good work record," she says. "He doesn’t understand where this is coming from."

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story reported Mastagni-Storm's firm had already filed a writ—it has not. Attorneys had filed a claim with CSUMB, which they learned today was denied.

Last edited:

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
That's ridiculous. If the campus cop have everything under control, there's no reason for the other cops to aggravate the situation. Even if they felt it was appropriate to tase him to take him into custody for possibly an emergency custody order, it sounds like number of times he was tased was outrageous.

It's one thing if he has a weapon on him and you take him, but you can't get near him because of the weapon.

However if he doesn't have a weapon, the proper procedure is when he is tased the other officers should be grabbing on to him. As soon as the ride on the taser ends, those officers have a hold of him and are able to handcuff him.

If he does not have a weapon, I cannot think of any reason why you would go through that many tasings of a person. And if the issue is that the Taser is not being effective, once again there's no reason to continue trying to tase him since you've already found that it's not effective.

He should get his job back!

It sounds like the other cops should be fired.

- Merg

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Officer who escalated the situation was fired. He then filed the lawsuit in retaliation which will go nowhere.

Guess it's something more to feed the addiction to outrage we have.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Officer who escalated the situation was fired. He then filed the lawsuit in retaliation which will go nowhere.

Guess it's something more to feed the addiction to outrage we have.
No the Marina cop who escalated the incident was not fired......the campus cop who had the situation under control but called for back up via SOP........was eventually let go for not escalating the use of force......

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
That's outrageous. And like most outrageous stories, it's currently based entirely on one side's unsubstantiated claims. And that side is not "willing to share the police reports from the incident," which seems suspicious.

The employer can't comment because the issue "involves a personnel investigation," but does say that "the case is much more complex than was conveyed in the press release." I'd be willing to bet that that much is true even if the termination was ultimately unwarranted.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
No the Marina cop who escalated the incident was not fired......the campus cop who had the situation under control but called for back up via SOP........was eventually let go for not escalating the use of force......

Whoops, I read that backwards. My mistake.

The Marina officers later filed a complaint against the CSUMB officer for failing to act two weeks later, which led to the officer being put on paid administrative leave, and he was notified earlier this week that he would be terminated.

Not the clearest of sentences. I read it as, the Marina officer trying to claim the CSUMB officer's failure to act caused him to have to be called in, do what he did, and be put on paid administrative leave for it

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Whoops, I read that backwards. My mistake.

Not the clearest of sentences. I read it as, the Marina officer trying to claim the CSUMB officer's failure to act caused him to have to be called in, do what he did, and be put on paid administrative leave for it

Don't you know that only good cops get fired?

Of course the whole story isn't known, but it sounds like the Marina police didn't want to deal with the situation and decided to just take him down.

This seems to be a somewhat common problem when the policed are called to prevent a suicide. When I was a teenage one of my brother's friends got a machete, was in his own house, and was threatening to kill himself (no one else). His parents called the police. The officers who responded could be bothered to wait for a negotiator and instead confronted him, ordered him to drop the machete and when he didn't immediately drop it, the police shot and killed him. The family won a lawsuit against the city (for a whole 50K) but the officers where never disciplined, you know they had to protect the kid from suicide by killing him instead.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Wow a kid who's suicidal and probably not a threat.. ends up being tazed multiple times and leads to a guy getting fired who did the right thing. What a joke.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Don't you know that only good cops get fired?

Of course the whole story isn't known, but it sounds like the Marina police didn't want to deal with the situation and decided to just take him down.

This seems to be a somewhat common problem when the policed are called to prevent a suicide. When I was a teenage one of my brother's friends got a machete, was in his own house, and was threatening to kill himself (no one else). His parents called the police. The officers who responded could be bothered to wait for a negotiator and instead confronted him, ordered him to drop the machete and when he didn't immediately drop it, the police shot and killed him. The family won a lawsuit against the city (for a whole 50K) but the officers where never disciplined, you know they had to protect the kid from suicide by killing him instead.

Jesus... The guilt those parents must be going through is horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.