this guy deserves an academy award for best flop ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
This was not a flop, the video clearly shows the defender using an illegal jedi mind trick.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Just making the point that lame arguments can be turned around.

The point that soccer is boring because it is low scoring is the often used argument by people who have no appreciation for the game. Allow me to provide some small amount of insight as to why that is exactly why it is such a great game.

To put it into the proverbial nutshell: Tension

You have the basic pleasure of watching a game that is fluid fast paced and filled with demonstrations of skill. A nice pass, a good tackle a great run off the ball - all exciting to a degree. That in itself is enjoyable at least if you are one to appreciate such things and in my opinion is a decent way to pass a bit of time.

Now add the tension factor. The game goes up and down the field as each team probes the other for weaknesses to be exploited and attempts to create chances at goal. The fans of one team WANT that goal. The fans of the other team FEAR that goal. Everytime, a team gets close, the hearts start racing and the blood pressure rises. If the shot goes wide or the goalie stops the shot, the attacking fans are let down and the defender's fans are relieved. However, the key to this is that the let down and relief are not total - tension remains. As the ball goes back and forth, the tension keeps rising and the only release is your team scoring a goal. The longer it goes without a goal and the more the game is fillied with near misses, the greater the release. The passion of the fans and the ever turning tide of emotion is what makes it a truly magnificent game.

If you ever want to experience pure unadulterated joy, go watch an live English Premier League match and stand behind the goal with the home team's fans. If you are lucky, they will win 1-0 with the goal coming in injury time at the end. You will feel down to your bones a release that exceeds what you could get from a coke fueled 3 day tantric sex binge.

That's fantastic, but I'll never watch soccer unless I'm there supporting someone that I know. You can change your little story to fit just about any sport.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Go diveball :roll:

Originally posted by: D1gger
That is one of the reasons that professional soccer will never be popular in North America. The constant flopping and then wailing on the ground to draw a foul makes the sport a joke.

That's one part of it, but the main reason is that it's the most boring sport in the world to watch. Nothing like watching a ball get randomly kicked from one end of the field to the other, forever, only to have the game end in a 0-0 tie.

I don't especially like watching basketball, but at least it has scoring. Even hockey games tend to have way more goals than soccer games, and hockey has fighting too.

Yeah, it's nothing like watching golf.;)

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBillYou can change your little story to fit just about any sport.
How does it fit a game that each team scores with near impunity and there is no apparent defensive effort until 5 minutes remain in the game?

This is just my opinion, but professional basketball is soulless at least during the regular season. College basketball - especially March Madness - is very exciting. The key is the passion of the players and fans.

As for golf, it is made interesting by tension but in a very different way to soccer. For me, the sport is watching how the tension affects the players. Do they rise up or fold?

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec
That's one part of it, but the main reason is that it's the most boring sport in the world to watch. Nothing like watching a ball get randomly kicked from one end of the field to the other, forever, only to have the game end in a 0-0 tie.

I don't especially like watching basketball, but at least it has scoring. Even hockey games tend to have way more goals than soccer games, and hockey has fighting too.

Dude. There is a golf channel in this country. GOLF. All of your arguments are void as long as people will actually watch golf on TV.

Every sport has some appeal to someone. Golf requires great precision and focus. Boring to watch IMO, but whatever. Same with soccer. I hate watching it (in fact I would rather watch golf or even NASCAR than watch soccer), but I know some people love it and see a lot more than each team randomly booting the ball back and forth to no effect. I do think soccer would benefit from some anti-diving vigilance, plus I'd like to see them make the fields smaller (think arena football) for a faster, more physical game. Making it indoors would eliminate stoppages for the ball going out. Break it into quarters to encourage the players to really go all out, knowing they'll have more opportunities to rest. And allow just a bit more contact than is currently allowed.

I might actually watch something like that.

Davan

Oct 28, 2005
This is why I love football. No flopping, since everyone is encouraged to hit. Man's sport.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Davan
This is why I love football. No flopping, since everyone is encouraged to hit. Man's sport.

except when the wide receivers try and draw pass interference... ;)

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

I've never seen a wide receiver act like a 6 year old girl with a skinned knee like every soccer player in those videos.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
what game are they playing this? where they kick the ball and it moves from one end to the other.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I might actually watch something like that.

MISL!!

I think it is on the Ocho at like 3am after the infomercials.

Wiki article says it disbanded as of May this year :(

Too bad. Sounds like basically hockey with a soccer ball instead of a puck.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i have seen more flopping in football this year and its not just receivers trying to get pass interference. but so far the refs see it as it is and don't call it

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
Clearly you don't understand the game... :roll:

Yay for short attention span sports like basketball. Final score 125-124.

So making fun of another sport is your only come back? Obviously you don't like basketball, what do you care if people don't like soccer?

The point that soccer is boring because it is low scoring is the often used argument by people who have no appreciation for the game. Allow me to provide some small amount of insight as to why that is exactly why it is such a great game.

You have the basic pleasure of watching a game that is fluid fast paced and filled with demonstrations of skill. A nice pass, a good tackle a great run off the ball - all exciting to a degree. That in itself is enjoyable at least if you are one to appreciate such things and in my opinion is a decent way to pass a bit of time.

Now add the tension factor. The game goes up and down the field as each team probes the other for weaknesses to be exploited and attempts to create chances at goal. The fans of one team WANT that goal. The fans of the other team FEAR that goal. Everytime, a team gets close, the hearts start racing and the blood pressure rises. If the shot goes wide or the goalie stops the shot, the attacking fans are let down and the defender's fans are relieved. However, the key to this is that the let down and relief are not total - tension remains. As the ball goes back and forth, the tension keeps rising and the only release is your team scoring a goal. The longer it goes without a goal and the more the game is fillied with near misses, the greater the release. The passion of the fans and the ever turning tide of emotion is what makes it a truly magnificent game.

If you ever want to experience pure unadulterated joy, go watch an live English Premier League match and stand behind the goal with the home team's fans. If you are lucky, they will win 1-0 with the goal coming in injury time at the end. You will feel down to your bones a release that exceeds what you could get from a coke fueled 3 day tantric sex binge.

dont bother, they'll just come up with another stupid argument.

BRObedoza

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
they really need to go over the tapes after the game and fine/suspend players for diving. I love soccer but this is just ridiculous.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
Originally posted by: CKent

I've never seen a wide receiver act like a 6 year old girl with a skinned knee like every soccer player in those videos.

or that player who was tapped on the knee and immediately curls into a fetal position, hands in his face like he was kicked there.

palswim

Golden Member
Nov 23, 2003
www.palswim.net
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: Chryso
They should start giving yellow cards for faking an injury. That would slow that down.

Nawh, just suspend players from future games. They don't have the resources to notice fake injuries in the middle of a game.

They try to card people during the game, but I agree, post-match reviews and fines/suspensions would help reduce this drastically.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
:laugh:

That's how good the health care system is in Europe. Injuries are healed within seconds, remotely, via constructive interference of carefully tuned gamma rays and radio waves.

Unfortunately, these waves can sometimes cause destructive interference; that's why it only appears as though some of those guys were injured by walking into nothing but air.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001

I take it you've never been on a 3 day coke fueld tantic sex binge, because the excitement from your team winning a soccer game can maybe be extremely exciting for the 90 minutes during the game, and maybe 15 after as opposed to 3 days of pure pleasure.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

While soccer may not be as glamorous as Football and Basketball, it's a lot more exciting to watch than either Baseball or Golf. So I don't see why that would hold it back.

Oh and for what it's worth, growing up Soccer and Basketball were 2 of my main sports, out of both those sports, I knew several basketball players that loved to fake injuries and 1 soccer team where the coach specifically trained their players to dive for calls. In both scenarios, the deal is the same, you've got a shittier player trying their best to scrape by on whatever tactic they can and it ultimately comes down to the skill of the ref to make the right call. And usually these players don't have any lasting affect on the game because the times where they do manage to drum up a call are offset by the times they lie on the fucking floor looking like a retard while the game plays on.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Wow, I'm amazed the fans didn't tear that official to shreds. This is soccer we're talking about after all...