this guy deserves an academy award for best flop ever

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
That is one of the reasons that professional soccer will never be popular in North America. The constant flopping and then wailing on the ground to draw a foul makes the sport a joke.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Go diveball :roll:

Originally posted by: D1gger
That is one of the reasons that professional soccer will never be popular in North America. The constant flopping and then wailing on the ground to draw a foul makes the sport a joke.

That's one part of it, but the main reason is that it's the most boring sport in the world to watch. Nothing like watching a ball get randomly kicked from one end of the field to the other, forever, only to have the game end in a 0-0 tie.

I don't especially like watching basketball, but at least it has scoring. Even hockey games tend to have way more goals than soccer games, and hockey has fighting too.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca

That's one part of it, but the main reason is that it's the most boring sport in the world to watch. Nothing like watching a ball get randomly kicked from one end of the field to the other, forever, only to have the game end in a 0-0 tie.

I don't especially like watching basketball, but at least it has scoring. Even hockey games tend to have way more goals than soccer games, and hockey has fighting too.
Clearly you don't understand the game... :roll:

Yay for short attention span sports like basketball. Final score 125-124.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding

So making fun of another sport is your only come back? Obviously you don't like basketball, what do you care if people don't like soccer?

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
It's pretty amazing how the guys can put spin on the ball and how they can kick it with such precision, but they're a bunch of pussies. "Aaaaah I fell down!"

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
They should start giving yellow cards for faking an injury. That would slow that down.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Chryso
They should start giving yellow cards for faking an injury. That would slow that down.

Nawh, just suspend players from future games. They don't have the resources to notice fake injuries in the middle of a game.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

I watch baseball and PGA golf, so don't even try it with me. Soccer is just boring, that's all there is to it. For what it's worth I'm not a big fan of basketball either, but I'd watch it over soccer anyday.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Dude. There is a golf channel in this country. GOLF. All of your arguments are void as long as people will actually watch golf on TV.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill

So making fun of another sport is your only come back? Obviously you don't like basketball, what do you care if people don't like soccer?
Just making the point that lame arguments can be turned around.

The point that soccer is boring because it is low scoring is the often used argument by people who have no appreciation for the game. Allow me to provide some small amount of insight as to why that is exactly why it is such a great game.

To put it into the proverbial nutshell: Tension

You have the basic pleasure of watching a game that is fluid fast paced and filled with demonstrations of skill. A nice pass, a good tackle a great run off the ball - all exciting to a degree. That in itself is enjoyable at least if you are one to appreciate such things and in my opinion is a decent way to pass a bit of time.

Now add the tension factor. The game goes up and down the field as each team probes the other for weaknesses to be exploited and attempts to create chances at goal. The fans of one team WANT that goal. The fans of the other team FEAR that goal. Everytime, a team gets close, the hearts start racing and the blood pressure rises. If the shot goes wide or the goalie stops the shot, the attacking fans are let down and the defender's fans are relieved. However, the key to this is that the let down and relief are not total - tension remains. As the ball goes back and forth, the tension keeps rising and the only release is your team scoring a goal. The longer it goes without a goal and the more the game is fillied with near misses, the greater the release. The passion of the fans and the ever turning tide of emotion is what makes it a truly magnificent game.

If you ever want to experience pure unadulterated joy, go watch an live English Premier League match and stand behind the goal with the home team's fans. If you are lucky, they will win 1-0 with the goal coming in injury time at the end. You will feel down to your bones a release that exceeds what you could get from a coke fueled 3 day tantric sex binge.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: CKent

I watch baseball and PGA golf, so don't even try it with me. Soccer is just boring, that's all there is to it. For what it's worth I'm not a big fan of basketball either, but I'd watch it over soccer anyday.

You can watch baseball and golf, of all things, but soccer is boring?

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
You can watch baseball and golf, of all things, but soccer is boring?

That's what I said. :confused:

Mind you, I don't find them boring, but I brought it up because I know what the mainstream perception of them is here.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I've been playing soccer since I was 6, and I refuse to watch "professional" soccer except the occasional World Cup game. It's like a bunch of whiny girls running around and falling down. Goals are too far between to allow penalty kicks like that. Weak.