This Film Is Not Yet Rated

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: hdeck
i watched it last week. very interesting movie.

I still can't believe that they have people counting the number of fvcks or how many pelvic thrusts take place in a movie.

And movies like Scary Movie can show a realistic looking penis sticking through a bathroom stall or someone's breast implants being ripped out, yet you can't show a woman's pubes.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
yeah it's pretty ridiculous the lengths they go to when rating the movies. also interesting that you can show a guy having an orgasm but most female orgasms can't make the R cut.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
From here:

Mary Harron expresses bewilderment as she talks about how the reason American Psycho was initially slapped with an NC-17 was not from what she expected (brutal, over-the-top serial killer violence) but instead a scene in which Christian Bale's character has sex with two women.
Yes, we would much sooner have people see brutal, gory violence than sex. Sex kills far more people than gunshot wounds ever have. Sex isn't natural either. Violence is.

...a film that depicts any sort of sex considered in some way aberrant (almost anything with gay characters, or something as simple as showing a female orgasm) gets slapped down.
Psh, proper women shouldn't have orgasms anyway. Either that, or it's just a case of hysteria. They should see a doctor about that.

(Fresh Sarcasm Detector batteries are available on eBay. Please ensure that yours are in good condition.)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Jeff7
From here:

Mary Harron expresses bewilderment as she talks about how the reason American Psycho was initially slapped with an NC-17 was not from what she expected (brutal, over-the-top serial killer violence) but instead a scene in which Christian Bale's character has sex with two women.
Yes, we would much sooner have people see brutal, gory violence than sex. Sex kills far more people than gunshot wounds ever have. Sex isn't natural either. Violence is.

...a film that depicts any sort of sex considered in some way aberrant (almost anything with gay characters, or something as simple as showing a female orgasm) gets slapped down.
Psh, proper women shouldn't have orgasms anyway. Either that, or it's just a case of hysteria. They should see a doctor about that.

(Fresh Sarcasm Detector batteries are available on eBay. Please ensure that yours are in good condition.)

Hehe. You can also show a guy masturbating (American Beauty), but you can't show a woman's hand moving over panties to achieve the same effect (But I'm a Cheerleader).

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
As a movie I though it was just OK, not bad but not terribly well made either. The information presented in the movie was pretty interesting. The paradox of geting an NC-17 rating, or choosing not to submit for an MPAA rating, means your movie will never see the light of day. The whole gimmick of "exposing" the MPAA raters was pretty silly IMO.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I just watched it the other night. To call the system a bureaucratic mess is an understatement. I'm not sure what anyone is thinking when they let it drag on day after day.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
is the MPAA chairman is a former Clinton cabinet member? more importanlty, what does that have to do with all of this? I say nothing.