this cup weighs about 60% less than a typical similar-sized paper cup

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
Ok, so I swung by Sam's today to get some cheap lunch and was looking at my soft-drink cup. It's your standard Styrofoam (or similar material) cup. other than your standard branding crap, the only text on the cup is in a little box and it reads: "This cup weighs about 60% less than a typical similar-sized paper cup."

I'm thinking, wtf? What is the purpose of this? Why the hell does the consumer care if the product weighs less. I doubt it has any effect on shipping costs for Sam's (even if it did, who cares?) Is there some new environmental bullshit going around that I am not aware of? Thats all I can gather from this pointless cup information.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
you have a small cup size huh?

I am guessing its regarding the amount of foam used making it more "green"

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
reshaped to used less material. It's this whole green thing. Same thing has happened to bottled water.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
why the hell doesn't it say reshaped to use less material. wouldn't that make a lot more sense? i kind of have a hate love relationship with all this green shit. I think it is great in terms of increasing efficiency, but sometimes these green people are so damn stupid.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: sdifox
reshaped to used less material. It's this whole green thing. Same thing has happened to bottled water.

It doesn't sound like that's it. They're comparing styrofoam to paper, not styrofoam to old styrofoam. They're basically using the weight of the cup as a selling point, which is kind of strange considering how much what is IN the cup will outweigh the cup itself.

I guess it matters if you're buying cups in bulk and you have to carry them. Our receptionist was bitching up a storm when she was asked to buy food and supplies at Costco instead of having it delivered by the grocery store.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It would probably be of more interest to the manufacturer and distributors. Less weight = less fuel consumption in handling = lower expenses.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs

It doesn't sound like that's it. They're comparing styrofoam to paper, not styrofoam to old styrofoam. They're basically using the weight of the cup as a selling point, which is kind of strange considering how much what is IN the cup will outweigh the cup itself.

I guess it matters if you're buying cups in bulk and you have to carry them. Our receptionist was bitching up a storm when she was asked to buy food and supplies at Costco instead of having it delivered by the grocery store.

humm, in that case, it's the transportation cost involved then. When you get into the millions of cups, weight does matter.

But Styrofoam is bulkier, so it takes up more space.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i can understand the shipping perspective, but this is walmart. they do everything themselves. i suppose sams customers could buy in bulk, but who the hell is going to buy that many cups from sams. and if they did, why not buy it from the distributor?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Journer
i can understand the shipping perspective, but this is walmart. they do everything themselves. i suppose sams customers could buy in bulk, but who the hell is going to buy that many cups from sams. and if they did, why not buy it from the distributor?

Don't look too far into it. Doesn't matter if Walmart ships it themselves, they still have to pay for the shipping through man-hour and gas.

It's just one of those generic 'we are better' things that get printed on shit.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Journer

Don't look too far into it. Doesn't matter if Walmart ships it themselves, they still have to pay for the shipping through man-hour and gas.

It's just one of those generic 'we are better' things that get printed on shit.

good point, but still, wtf?