This AT ad is targeting the wrong dude

Feb 4, 2009
1CE80F05-CF92-4321-96D7-8C07030B0452.jpeg

I’ll give them credit for the simple message.

Attachments

• 0C8C6A6E-162E-4FAB-A7C3-202D3C0E83D9.png
    0C8C6A6E-162E-4FAB-A7C3-202D3C0E83D9.png
    459.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yea, but AT is running disinformation ads?
AT is running kremlin propaganda?
AT is parroting Putins conspiracy theories?
Doing GRUs good work?

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
And this is why we need to play dirty with the Dem ads for 2020.
Play nice by established rules and we will have a king through 2024.

Fuck that traitorous orange pus bag and his corrupt administration and party.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Meanwhile the Ds want to close the impeachment investigation ASAP.

Ds will fold tent and run, while Trump will grab it, lie about it and turn it back around on them.

*Sigh*

Reactions: cytg111
Feb 4, 2009

True

Meanwhile the Ds want to close the impeachment investigation ASAP.

Ds will fold tent and run, while Trump will grab it, lie about it and turn it back around on them.

*Sigh*

True

I’ll say it again. Fuck these turds, the game has changed foolish to play by the old rules.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Adblocking saves the day, I never would've seen this if someone didn't post it. Probably for the best, cause that's a big ole ding for AT, spreading conservative agitprop is not a good.move.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Adblocking saves the day, I never would've seen this if someone didn't post it. Probably for the best, cause that's a big ole ding for AT, spreading conservative agitprop is not a good.move.
AdBlock for the win. Most sites bitch, but you can at least pause it. More features if you pay.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yea, but AT is running disinformation ads?
AT is running kremlin propaganda?
AT is parroting Putins conspiracy theories?
Doing GRUs good work?

They're taking money from whomever wants to give it to them. Same as practically everyone else.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Do you think the company that owns AT gives a single shit? A dollar is a dollar, they don't care where it comes from.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

Black propaganda is a viable strategy during wartime, provided the sources and the Truth are not revealed -- during wartime.

I have been an armchair student of psy-war and propaganda history for about the last 19 years. This is how I was able to sort out for myself whether FOX was reliable versus the other networks and various other news sources.

Because my mind had become seduced and corrupted by what I had learned, I half-seriously suggested a "covert operation" for a local Democratic Club. During the Great Year of the Tea Party, I suggested in a closed meeting that we recruit some writers to change their voter registration and leave the club. These folks would then compose a "handbook" for Tea Party clubs, so that practitioners of the handbook would build their clubs to fail. Proceeds from the sales of the "handbook" would then be laundered toward donations back to our side. The local Dems were ready to tar and feather me -- and I told them I was "just kidding".

There is a "propaganda of the Truth". Like the passage from Saint John on the CIA's walls of the Langley entrance, "The Truth will set you Free." Remember that Radio Free Europe and Voice of America actually worked for the better.

Now we have Giuliani promoting this idea that he has "fresh stuff" from Ukraine proving the Putin-promoted theory about the Russian psy-war campaign. The man is already in enough trouble. I suppose we'll see the fur fly as Pelosi's Congress continues with their work, and the Senate conducts an actual impeachment trial.

You can't sustain a mythology of Lies forever in a pluralistic world. These folks are "short-run maximizers" with a short-run agenda. Trump has his back against the wall. They're desperate.

Here's a footnote on FOX. I'd already gathered enough data so that I wouldn't spend much time watching their palaver in the future. But when Glenn Beck was featured on FOX, I caught a "lecture series he gave on propaganda.

He had a little blackboard, and conducted himself like Bishop Sheen or some college professor, with his explanations to the FOX viewership. I myself had read several works on that topic, including the notebooks of Josef Goebbels. One of these I remember was Jacques Ellul's "Propaganda" published in 1964.

Beck proceeded to tell his audience that they couldn't be fooled by "liberal propaganda", since they "weren't average", they were "smart" -- they were individuals. Yet Ellul had belabored an argument completely contrary: Propaganda worked precisely because regular people in target audiences believe they aren't "average", that they're "smart", that they were "individuals" and not a "mass".

Case Closed.

Time will tell.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Do you think the company that owns AT gives a single shit? A dollar is a dollar, they don't care where it comes from.

I never said they did. So any inclination I may have had to turn off adblocking on AT just went bye bye. Sites can tell it's on, and on it remains.

Websites need traffic to survive, if enough people bail and AT admins put that together, it could change who they source their ads from. But, I won't know ;P

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol what the hell--taking Trump's admitted crime and trying to pin it on someone else? What a fucking cvnt.

It rhymes, at least.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Websites need traffic to survive, if enough people bail and AT admins put that together, it could change who they source their ads from. But, I won't know ;P
I proposed an idea for background coin-mining in the web browser.

The new Brave Browser uses BAT (a crypto-currency), to do something similar, although I don't believe that they "mine" it in the browser, but rather, "award" the owner for watching (local) ads in-browser (instead of site ads), while at the same time, being able to opt-in to sharing ("paying") BAT to the site and/or user (who posted the content).

It's at least, a step in the right direction. Widespread use of CC and therefore micro-payments, could both reward user content, as well as completely do away with the visually annoying and distracting site advertisements.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Not so concerned about AnandTech at the moment, but I was so enraged at Trump's election that I cashiered by dentist of 15 years in 2017 and was preparing to cut off my car mechanic in 2018. The latter had decided to retire anyway. A few years earlier, I'd remarked about my brother's osteo-arthritis diagnosis and his doctor's conclusion that he couldn't work anymore. He started drawing SSDI. The mechanic said to me "He should get out on a bicycle! That will solve his problem!" As if -- my brother was a malingerer, not realistically entitled to the SSDI check.

But the mechanic's reason for retiring arose when he was out on his bicycle -- he's 78 years old -- at dusk. He hit a tree root growing out of the pavement, crashed the bicycle, broke his leg and suffered a concussion. I thought "Cosmic justice!"

Dem supporters in 2016 were 62 % of the electorate in California. After the serial and even daily outrages of the Trump administration, their size in percentage terms would've grown. You cannot boycott businesses on your own. My own efforts to cut off business with Trumpies was merely an angry reaction of little consequence.

But I wonder what it would be like, if you could identify businesses run by Trump supporters and then coordinate a boycott against them? How much business would they lose? When would it grow intolerable?

I'm with Robert Di Nero. We have to fight back. We have to call out not just Trump, but those fools who hide behind their secret ballot. And I really don't care if it disrupts the economy to some degree.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
lol what the hell--taking Trump's admitted crime and trying to pin it on someone else? What a fucking cvnt.

You've never heard a word a Republican has said... have you.
Otherwise you would know the reference in that ad.

The reference is Biden's public video where he boasts of blackmailing Ukraine, to deny our foreign aid, unless their prosecutor was fired. Republicans, and Hannity especially, sell it like this. (I used the timestamp where this subject starts in the rant)

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
fools who hide behind their secret ballot.
There is an entire political system in those seven words. There is a desire to control others and the promise of violence for nonconformists.
I had no idea Di Nero was a hard core fascist.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You've never heard a word a Republican has said... have you.
Otherwise you would know the reference in that ad.

The reference is Biden's public video where he boasts of blackmailing Ukraine, to deny our foreign aid, unless their prosecutor was fired. Republicans, and Hannity especially, sell it like this. (I used the timestamp where this subject starts in the rant)

Biden was acting appropriately--he was acting on the behest of the international community, in removing an extremely corrupt prosecutor (the one that Trump is desperately trying to work with, now, to continue to make corruption standard practice)

Trump: personal gain. This is not in dispute, in any way, whatsoever
Biden: national, international interest. This is not in dispute, in any way, whatsoever.

They are trying to argue that both "quid pro quos" are equal, which is absurd, 3rd grade playground bullshit. It only works on ignorant morons, so it works for every single Trump supporter, obviously

My comment stands.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
There is an entire political system in those seven words. There is a desire to control others and the promise of violence for nonconformists.
He is of course not. You know this. Why argue otherwise. Di Nero is the REACTION, not the action it self... now along the way some travellers will stop and gaze at this, say @bothsides, smirk at their own superiority and carry on, after all this is not their problem.

Good job.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

the last time the fascists took over, they brought the world to catastrophic war.

So, what is your proposal to deal with the indisputable fascists that are the GOP, the Brexiters, those in Poland, Brazil, and in Italy right now?

• Love
Reactions: cytg111
Feb 4, 2009
Biden was acting appropriately--he was acting on the behest of the international community, in removing an extremely corrupt prosecutor (the one that Trump is desperately trying to work with, now, to continue to make corruption standard practice)

Trump: personal gain. This is not in dispute, in any way, whatsoever
Biden: national, international interest. This is not in dispute, in any way, whatsoever.

They are trying to argue that both "quid pro quos" are equal, which is absurd, 3rd grade playground bullshit. It only works on ignorant morons, so it works for every single Trump supporter, obviously

My comment stands.

Agreed, Biden doing it in the context that there is a corrupt lawyer (AG sort of dude) skimming money off the top of aid money.
The President help me out. Zero benefit to non Trumpers

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
the last time the fascists took over, they brought the world to catastrophic war.

So, what is your proposal to deal with the indisputable fascists that are the GOP, the Brexiters, those in Poland, Brazil, and in Italy right now?
I have none. What's your plan? Make people's votes public so they are subject to retribution from those that disagree with them?