This ain't a scene...

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Which makes Israel upset, so we'll sell them $30 billion in arms. Just in case there's any chance at all of peace breaking out in the region, we'll sell Egypt $10 billion worth.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WO...x.html?iref=newssearch

Brought to you by the most peaceful superpower in history.

BTW, maybe I just missed it, but I have not seen this discussed at all. Maybe we can forget about a presidential race more than a year away to talk about a major foreign policy event happening now? Just wondering.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Sale? Israel gets hand-outs. We don't get anything in return.

Just your tax dollars going in the military arms dealer's pocket. Remember Eisenhower's last speech? Damn!! If Peace broke out, we would have a world wide depression.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

We get an excellent ally in the region who kills scores of Muslims for us.

Fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here. :thumbsup:

Trianon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
www.conkurent.com
Originally posted by: Nebor

is that a bot?

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003

The US also enjoys a nice trade deficit with Israel :)

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
How much of those $30 billion in arms we give away to Israel will wind up being sold to our opponents such as China, Pakistan, Turkey or maybe even Iran ?

SiliconJon

Nov 1, 2004
The people who see this as anything other than what it is display how incredibly [diluted] people have become.

WE ARE SELLING WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION on a scale like never before to a region that we are heavily dependent upon for energy resources. Ready for some blowback and fallout? The [fools] supporting this need to be given away with the weapons as free military slaves.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

I suspect they get some hand out and some sales. Wasn't sure which one this was so I erred on the side of moderation;

Is it possible that behavior like this, what we did in Iraq, and what we did in Afghanistan makes moderate and fundamentalist Muslims hate us, rather than our freedom?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Yossarian22
Is it possible that behavior like this...?

If supplying weapons to them caused muslims to hate us, why don't they hate Russia, whose weapons make up the bulk of their military?

I'm pretty sure they do hate Russia; At least Chechens and Afghans.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

false choice.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina
How much of those $30 billion in arms we give away to Israel will wind up being sold to our opponents such as China, Pakistan, Turkey or maybe even Iran ?

Turkey is our strongest ally in the region.

They actually fly missions for NATO and send troops.

Israel is just another bitch like all the others. The only difference is the Jewish power in the U.S is genius and managed a way to control a religious majority 40x it's size.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'll have you know that every piece of advanced weaponry sold has a shut-down switch that is remotly triggered by Bush. If the US ever engages in conflict with these countries he can press the doomsday button and all of their pretty electronics will shut down, opening up their puny defenses to the unholy might of the United States Military!

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: lozina

Since when did Turkey become our opponents?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Blackjack200

I suspect they get some hand out and some sales. Wasn't sure which one this was so I erred on the side of moderation;

Is it possible that behavior like this, what we did in Iraq, and what we did in Afghanistan makes moderate and fundamentalist Muslims hate us, rather than our freedom?

Well the truth is, we give them "loans" that we never expect to be repaid(and don't ask to be repaid)which then in turn are used to buy weapons from our companies.

It's basically a subsidy for our defense industry just being covered up as a loan because calling a duck a duck just wouldn't fly in Congress.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: Blackjack200

Well the truth is, we give them "loans" that we never expect to be repaid(and don't ask to be repaid)which then in turn are used to buy weapons from our companies.

It's basically a subsidy for our defense industry just being covered up as a loan because calling a duck a duck just wouldn't fly in Congress.

Interesting, I never took a close look at how the deals work. Sounds like the port authority in NY/NJ and the city of Newark. When the state wants to kick Newark some money they have the port authority extend the "lease" on the land Newark Airport is built on. Last I checked the land is leased for the next 200 years or something like that.