Third time is not a charm

wolfwatcher51

Nov 29, 2007
Ip35, windows xp pro, bootIT NG.

Tried following directions from the forum and net in general.

After BING and xp install, used abit cd to load chipset drivers. Rebooted.

Loaded the matrox drivers/sw and viewsonic drivers for my pci dual head vid card. Rebooted.

Whent back to abit cd and loaded Marvel driver and rebooted.

Whent back to abit cd and loaded Realtek audio driver and rebooted.

I can not see the gigabit lan in device manager so I can set it up and access the internet. If I select view, view hidden, there are multiple entries for the marvel miniport but none look like what I need.

I have gone into bing twice, deleted the xp partition, remade the partition, formatted and reinstalled xp three times now, same results. I did clear cmos before the last install and uninstalled the vid card and reinstalled in 2nd pci slot, same thing.

There has to be something simple that i am not seeing. Even if the lan port on the board is bad, it seems i should atleast get the entry in device manager, shouldn't I?

I would like to flash the bios to v14 and see if that helps, but the instructions on the site do not seem to make any sense to me.

They say to use xp to make a dos boot floppy, got that, did that, no problem. Download v14 zip and unzip, did that, no problem.

Then they say to put the 5 files from the unzipped zip file onto the boot disk. Big problem, the boot floppy has 555kb on it and the 5 files from the zip are 1.07mb. Too much for the floppy.

Am I supposed to make the dos boot disk on one floppy and put the unzipped files on a second floppy? Then put the dos boot flopp in and reboot..and it will boot to dos?

Then remove that floppy and put in the unzipped files floppy? And type ???? to get it to do the bios upgrade? Sorry, but never done this, it is important to not screw it up and i am a little worried. Can someone please give me the idiot's absolute step by step for this please?

Thanks in advance, I have been working really hard at getting my work done and trying to steal a little time inbetween to build the computer, what I thought would be the easy part, so i could have some uninterrupted time at Christmas to try the overclocking of the e2180 chip.

Any way, help if you can and have a very Merry Christmas Christmas to the world. Chris.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: wolfwatcher51
Then they say to put the 5 files from the unzipped zip file onto the boot disk. Big problem, the boot floppy has 555kb on it and the 5 files from the zip are 1.07mb. Too much for the floppy.

Am I supposed to make the dos boot disk on one floppy and put the unzipped files on a second floppy? Then put the dos boot flopp in and reboot..and it will boot to dos?

Then remove that floppy and put in the unzipped files floppy? YES And type ???? to get it to do the bios upgrade? Sorry, but never done this, it is important to not screw it up and i am a little worried. Can someone please give me the idiot's absolute step by step for this please?

Any way, help if you can and have a very Merry Christmas Christmas to the world. Chris.

Is it AWARD BIOS...?

Try to follow instructions from this thread

Good luck!

wolfwatcher51

Nov 29, 2007
Thanks JustaGeek, it looks like the bios flashed OK.

Any ideas on the network adapter? Still not seen in device manager.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Chris.