Thinkpad Edge E320 Maintenance

feeddagoat

Oct 11, 2011
Hey everyone,

I currently use a Lenovo ThinkpadEdge E320. Recently I've been experiencing problems with it overheating especially when using the AMD graphics (HD6630). Even when doing basic tasks the fan is much louder than when I first got it. The fan itself doesn't sound like its grinding just that i is working harder than it should be. I've ensured dust is clear of the fan and I have started using a cooling pad but it is bulky to carry round and it still sounds like the fan is working hard. I'm wondering if the thermal paste needs replaced but I need some information in regards to how big a job this is to plan it before I attempt (if I attempt it or hand it off).

1. Am I correct in assuming it is a thermal paste issue?
2. If so will it require a complete tare down to replace the paste? (I'll post pictures after I get home) I've watched a few youtube videos and they gave the impression that a complete tare down would be required.

I was going to hold of posting until windows 10 arrived but I guess I'll ask now,
3. If I upgrade to windows 10 is it likely I will have problems with switchable graphics and drivers for the HD6630? I don't want to jump to windows 10 to find I've problems. I know it will be impossible to say until windows 10 is actually out but has any of the beta builds shown any major issues with either the HD6630 or switchable graphics?

Thanks in advance

i7Baby

Jul 23, 2015
All laptops seem to overheat.

Every year you should remove the covers and blow the dust out.

If it overheat easily then you should get a laptop cooler to use with it.

New thermal paste is usually only needed with laptops over 3 years old.

I plan on upgrading to Windows 10 next year. Hopefully then the bugs will be out of it.

feeddagoat

Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I've made sure the fan is clean and borrowed a laptop cooler from a friend. TBH I would prefer not to have to use it if possible. The laptop would be about 3 years old.